Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Spare tire in cargo area... (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/spare-tire-in-cargo-area-8255.html)

Scout 05-23-2007 03:25 PM

Spare tire in cargo area...

I didn't want to rob bigjeeps thread about tire carriers so I'll start a new one. :D

I'm thinking about ditching my Garvin rear tire carrier and moving the spare tire to the cargo area. One of the things I've wanted to add for some time is a rear cargo area storage box and after doing some thinking I'm wondering about mounting the spare on top of the box. On the Tuffy website it says the box I'm looking at is 16 gauge steel so I'm thinking it should be strong enough to support the weight of the wheel and tire.

There are two storage boxes that could work. This one is: 27”L, 35 3/8”W, 16”H. (The lid opens on this one)

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...t/046_solo.jpg

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...046_detail.jpg

It's the tallest of the two. If you mounted the spare on top then the spare would sit about 25 - 26" or so above the cargo area floor.

Then there's this one with dimensions of: 30”L, 35 3/8”W, 13”H

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...t/063_solo.jpg

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...063_detail.jpg

This one is 3"'s shorter than the first.

My questions are: Has anyone seen one of these boxes up close? Do you have one? Is it pretty heavy duty and strong enough to support the weight of the wheel and tire? Has anyone done this before? Am I stupid?

AzTJ 05-23-2007 03:28 PM

One thing I would do first is take your back seat out and toss the spare in there for fitment. It might push on your seats a bit and bug you. I know that when I have the back seat folded up it pushes on my seat and I have to adjust it to sit straight up and down... and with the storage box in there its gonna raise the tire up and maybe push on the seats some more..... just food for thought.

jeeperman 05-23-2007 03:30 PM

A TON of guys run their spare inside the cab, it is not that unusual, it just takes a lot of space.

I ran the large Tuffy drawer in my YJ and loved the functionality of it for storing all my trail junk and recovery gear. It is a heavy duty unit, and should hold the spare if the weight is distributed over the top fairly evenly (don't instal a mount point in the center of the drawer).

Scout 05-23-2007 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzTJ (Post 84761)
One thing I would do first is take your back seat out and toss the spare in there for fitment. It might push on your seats a bit and bug you. I know that when I have the back seat folded up it pushes on my seat and I have to adjust it to sit straight up and down... and with the storage box in there its gonna raise the tire up and maybe push on the seats some more..... just food for thought.

The cargo area is 35" x 35". This is from the rear or the gate to the front where the lip drops off and from the wheel well to wheel well. My tires only measure 34" so I don't think it would be a problem. Not to mention it will actually sit up higher than the smallest part of the floor.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeeperman (Post 84763)
A TON of guys run their spare inside the cab, it is not that unusual, it just takes a lot of space.

I ran the large Tuffy drawer in my YJ and loved the functionality of it for storing all my trail junk and recovery gear. It is a heavy duty unit, and should hold the spare if the weight is distributed over the top fairly evenly (don't instal a mount point in the center of the drawer).

I KNEW I wasn't the only person who thought of this. :D

I thought about fabricating (not me of course :)) a brace that would run laterally and horizonally making an cross point then mounting a post in the center. I'm sure I could find a spare tire mount somewhere to weld to the center of the cross. This way the center of the box would be the strongest point and I could easily remove the tire If I needed to.

Do you remember how tall your storage box was in your YJ? I'm just worried about getting this thing sitting too high on the box.

jeeperman 05-23-2007 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simple Scout (Post 84793)
I thought about fabricating (not me of course :)) a brace that would run laterally and horizonally making an cross point then mounting a post in the center. I'm sure I could find a spare tire mount somewhere to weld to the center of the cross. This way the center of the box would be the strongest point and I could easily remove the tire If I needed to.

Do you remember how tall your storage box was in your YJ? I'm just worried about getting this thing sitting too high on the box.

I didn't have the storage box, I had the large drawer that pulled out, like the under seat one, but I believe it was 8-10" tall. It also sat on risers so that I could slide stuff under it for additional storage space of about 3-4". So I can't really comment on the height of the overall setup.

tiger22 05-23-2007 05:50 PM

if neither of these will support the spare i would check at your local tractor supply company store. they have some boxes that are almost identical and are HEAVY duty. not for sure about the guage of steel but they are pretty thick...

Scout 05-23-2007 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeeperman (Post 84798)
I didn't have the storage box, I had the large drawer that pulled out, like the under seat one, but I believe it was 8-10" tall. It also sat on risers so that I could slide stuff under it for additional storage space of about 3-4". So I can't really comment on the height of the overall setup.

Ok thanks. I think I know which one you're talking about.

Scout 05-23-2007 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger22 (Post 84821)
if neither of these will support the spare i would check at your local tractor supply company store. they have some boxes that are almost identical and are HEAVY duty. not for sure about the guage of steel but they are pretty thick...

Good idea! I'll go check that out. I always forget about the farm/tractor supply stores and Co-ops. They always have really good stuff there.

RedRubiTJ 05-23-2007 09:42 PM

Might I also suggest, if possible put the bracket such that the tire is at an angle towards the rear, it'll be much easier to get it in and out.

Scout 05-23-2007 09:47 PM

I actually thought about that. My only issue is trying to keep it as low as possibly for CoG reasons and so I can still see over the thing. I'm afraid if I angle it toward the rear enough to make a difference it might block my vision.

I guess I could always throw the winch cable over the roll bar and winch the damn thing out. :D

MR.CLIFFORD 05-23-2007 09:55 PM

I was originally gonna do something like that. I fabricated a box for the spare to sit on. I rode around with it strapped down in the back. After careful consideration I ditched it cause I didn't like that much weight up top.

Pictures...

http://thedoubleduke.com/pics/Jeep/sparecarrier.jpg

That is a good size 37 as well. If you go up past the fender well you can clear up to a 40. Just food for thought so you don't have to do it twice.

Triple88a 05-23-2007 09:57 PM

rear view camera or a rear view mirror rotated 180 degrees or mounted to the roof (if top is off)?

I have my mirror flipped over.. just take it and spin it so the knob that was on the bottom is now on top.. works for me otherwise its in the way when on a stopsign and there is a car in the right lol :)

^ what about the box on top of the spare?

RedRubiTJ 05-23-2007 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triple88a (Post 84987)
I have my mirror flipped over...

I've never understood the upside down mirror thing. Why not just raise the mirror by moving the linkage to an upwards angle? I do that and my mirror is less than an inch from the upper bezel and I can see over the top of my 37.

Scout 05-23-2007 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MR.CLIFFORD (Post 84984)
I was originally gonna do something like that. I fabricated a box for the spare to sit on. I rode around with it strapped down in the back. After careful consideration I ditched it cause I didn't like that much weight up top.

Pictures...

http://thedoubleduke.com/pics/Jeep/sparecarrier.jpg

That is a good size 37 as well. If you go up past the fender well you can clear up to a 40. Just food for thought so you don't have to do it twice.

That is exactly what I'm thinking about doing. Thanks for the pic Andy.

How much do you really think the weight of the spare will affect the CoG? I don't know what my tire and wheel actually weigh but I'd be surprised if it were over 100 lbs. That's less than a person riding in the rear (for comparison sake).

MR.CLIFFORD 05-23-2007 10:16 PM

I guess it was different then cause I had a little 4 banger and I was starving my jeep of weight wherever I could. It really liked to roll.

Triple88a 05-23-2007 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRubiTJ (Post 84995)
Why not just raise the mirror by moving the linkage to an upwards angle?

the mirror goes even higher, for mine i tried to move it to upper angle which wasent enough so i flipped it.. after i reised my seat the mirror was right in the way of any car on the right of my jeep like in a 4 way stop sign so i had no choise but to look around it or move it up somehow. Just mooving it as you said didnt work on my mirror so i flipped it.

I have dark rear window on my hard top so i dont have bright lights problem :D

Scout 05-23-2007 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MR.CLIFFORD (Post 85016)
I guess it was different then cause I had a little 4 banger and I was starving my jeep of weight wherever I could. It really liked to roll.

Makes sense.

I guess since I have a throttle body spacer then it shouldn't be an issue for me. http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...cout/bling.gif

Mike001 05-23-2007 10:26 PM

So are you ditching the rear tire carrier Scout? Are you keepin it or saling it?

Mike001 05-23-2007 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simple Scout (Post 85023)
Makes sense.

I guess since I have a throttle body spacer then it shouldn't be an issue for me. http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...cout/bling.gif

Don't you read Jp, they did a dyno test TB spacers are useless...

Scout 05-23-2007 10:29 PM

I'm still trying to decide. I first want to get this figured out to make sure it will work the way I want it to then it's off to the wifey to "explain" to her that this mod is for my safety. :D

Scout 05-23-2007 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike001 (Post 85026)
Don't you read Jp, they did a dyno test TB spacers are useless...

JP is on crack. :D

MR.CLIFFORD 05-23-2007 10:32 PM

finally agree with you 100%

Mike001 05-23-2007 10:33 PM

Do you really need a spare or can you jsut carry a plug kit?

MR.CLIFFORD 05-23-2007 10:34 PM

Mike is "that guy" on the trail!

Scout 05-23-2007 10:35 PM

Well since I do my wheelin in the HARD CORE Jeep Jamborees I need to have one in/on the Jeep. It's required by them. Some day when you guys move up to my level you'll understand. :D:D:D

Scout 05-23-2007 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MR.CLIFFORD (Post 85032)
finally agree with you 100%

:flipoff:

Scout 05-23-2007 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MR.CLIFFORD (Post 85036)

That's funny.

Hey man I was wondering if you had some...

JK Mike. :D

RedRubiTJ 05-23-2007 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MR.CLIFFORD (Post 85036)

I don't care who you are... That's Funny :D!

RedRubiTJ 05-23-2007 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simple Scout (Post 85038)
Well since I do my wheelin in the HARD CORE Jeep Jamborees I need to have one in/on the Jeep. It's required by them. Some day when you guys move up to my level you'll understand. :D:D:D

I was wondering about the whole low COG thing. Your kitchen doesn't look that off-camber to me :flipoff: .

Scout 05-23-2007 10:40 PM

DAMN IT!!! Red is on a roll tonight! http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...t/squint-1.gif