Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Everything I need to know about lifts (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/everything-i-need-to-know-about-lifts-82653.html)

mitch82 03-01-2011 04:47 PM

Everything I need to know about lifts

hi, i just got my jeep last summer as my first car and ever since i have been obsessed with everything to do with jeep. haha its great :thumb: but now im ready to really start messing with it. I have a 98 sahara with brand new duramax 31s and i wanna get a lift on it. i am wondering if anyone can help me and give me advice about what i should do for my first lift. I need it to be semi less expensive. i was thinking maybe a 2" BL to start then later maybe add like a 3" suspension lift? please give me your tips and thoughts, thanks (:

Rubicon2 03-01-2011 05:00 PM

A good place to start would be here: Jeep Lift Reviews

mitch82 03-01-2011 05:53 PM

Okay thanks, are body lifts any good?

Cons_Table 03-01-2011 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitch82 (Post 1090904)
Okay thanks, are body lifts any good?

You will find that most members will recommend that you do not install BLs over 1"-1.25." They can cause issues over 1.25" and arent as aesthetically pleasing...but it's all preference.

Wordgie 03-01-2011 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitch82 (Post 1090757)
hi, i just got my jeep last summer as my first car and ever since i have been obsessed with everything to do with jeep. haha its great :thumb: but now im ready to really start messing with it. I have a 98 sahara with brand new duramax 31s and i wanna get a lift on it. i am wondering if anyone can help me and give me advice about what i should do for my first lift. I need it to be semi less expensive. i was thinking maybe a 2" BL to start then later maybe add like a 3" suspension lift? please give me your tips and thoughts, thanks (:

Everytime you call a Jeep a car, a baby bunny dies a slow painful death. It's not a truck, it's not a car, it's a Jeep! :thumb:

Just bustin' yer chops a little.

I wouldn't do anything over a 1" body lift. Stuff starts misaligning. I ended up getting a 1" BL and a 3" (turns out to be just under 3") budget boost. Got the whole thing for around $400 including the shocks. Enough for some light wheeling and get 33's as well as hold me until I can get a regular lift.

Bad news is, other things keep happening and I can't get the tire money saved up so the lift crap is still packed away.

UnlimitedLJ04 03-01-2011 06:50 PM

Everything you need to read about lifting a Jeep...and more.

What is a CV shaft and why do I want one? - JeepForum.com
So you want a Tummy Tuck... - JeepForum.com
bumpstops, shock length, and tires size. help me iron out the fuzzy points.. - JeepForum.com
low lift, long shocks, and DIY shock shifters... what's the advantage? - JeepForum.com
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/corr...gth-70047.html
tj front adjustable track bars for 0-3.5", does yours hit or fit? - JeepForum.com
I want to run 35's on my TJ - JeepForum.com

mitch82 03-01-2011 07:02 PM

thanks alot man, but when what do you mean when you say budget boost?

Wordgie 03-01-2011 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitch82 (Post 1091024)
thanks alot man, but when what do you mean when you say budget boost?

It consists of spacers that go on top of your coil springs, longer shocks and assorted hardware. Less things to take apart and more novice friendly. My nephew and a couple of his buddies did his in a matter of a few hours without rushing and taking quite a few beer breaks.

You're not gonna break any RTI records, but it gives you good ground clearance on the cheap.

mitch82 03-01-2011 07:38 PM

can you buy them in kits or do you have to buy them separately?

Wordgie 03-01-2011 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitch82 (Post 1091091)
can you buy them in kits or do you have to buy them separately?

Both. I went to a local place, Jeepers Den and told them what I wanted. It was individual parts (spacer pucks and shocks) sold as a unit.