Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   ProComp driveshafts??? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/procomp-driveshafts-83285.html)

Lithium Lotus 03-05-2011 06:27 PM

ProComp driveshafts???

I was browsing the 4wd.com website when I saw that they now have ProComp front and rear driveshafts available for JK's with 0-4" lift. And from looking at the pictures, it seems they are not a double cardan style like other shafts are.

Non-CV Style Front Drive Shaft by Pro Comp and Other Jeep Parts and Jeep Accessories by 4 Wheel Drive Hardware-RH1

This is from their website: The factory driveshaft ball and cage design joint is replaced with #1310 style u-joints to allow for a stronger engagement, increase the range of motion, and improve seal and driveline life. Exclusive yokes, not flange adapters, are used to allow for a longer driveshaft, unlike our competitors versions. Pro Comp Suspension rear driveshaft’s are constructed from 3.00”x 0.095” DOM (drawn-over-mandrel) steel. Kits come complete with necessary mounting hardware.

Now I know ProComp isn't the most popular brand out their, but it seems that a single cardan is safer for the drivetrain then a double cardan?

ncossey 03-05-2011 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lithium Lotus
I was browsing the 4wd.com website when I saw that they now have ProComp front and rear driveshafts available for JK's with 0-4" lift. And from looking at the pictures, it seems they are not a double cardan style like other shafts are.

Non-CV Style Front Drive Shaft by Pro Comp and Other Jeep Parts and Jeep Accessories by 4 Wheel Drive Hardware-RH1

This is from their website: The factory driveshaft ball and cage design joint is replaced with #1310 style u-joints to allow for a stronger engagement, increase the range of motion, and improve seal and driveline life. Exclusive yokes, not flange adapters, are used to allow for a longer driveshaft, unlike our competitors versions. Pro Comp Suspension rear driveshaft’s are constructed from 3.00”x 0.095” DOM (drawn-over-mandrel) steel. Kits come complete with necessary mounting hardware.

Now I know ProComp isn't the most popular brand out their, but it seems that a single cardan is safer for the drivetrain then a double cardan?

I dunno man, id probably give it a while and let some others test it before you give em a try, as with any new product, you dont wanna be the tester on something you are paying for lol.

Lithium Lotus 03-20-2011 03:21 PM

Anyone have a ProComp driveshaft?

thenorsepole 05-13-2011 11:31 AM

Was wondering the same. The description "sounds" good. Amazon has the front for $580 and the rear for $450.

whiteyj 05-13-2011 11:47 AM

Some of the vendors will never learn. Make your niche and do it well. It would be like buying tires from say Tom Wood's. Sure I'd buy his drivelines hands down but tires.....Not their forte.

rics1997 05-13-2011 12:12 PM

The U-Joints are more of the issue with lifts anyways. I know many say driveshaft when talking lifts over 2.5" on 2 dr and 3.5" on 4dr but the Joints are the true problem with critical angle and the boots around the factory joints getting ate up and losing grease.

The only reason I would wait for others to test this out is that Pro Comp isn't known as the best in anything they make. Not that their products are bad but in many cases they are just good at best

Rogerg 05-13-2011 12:52 PM

Exactly like what rics1997 said.

Besides the Tom Woods is not that much coin compared to Procomps..i really dont remember how much i paid for it.I got a 4" lift and still running stock DS and the TW is still in its box.

Just make sure you dont use the stock tranny skid and replace it with Skidrow to clear the DS when discoed.Usually the stock skids are the reason for torn boots.

KBR97 05-13-2011 04:39 PM

Whats the savings from a Procomp vs. a Tom woods, JE Reel or Tera?? I would say they are not too much more.

I would spend the money with a company who makes good quality American made stuff rather than a company who just jumps on the "Lets copy a design and make everything possible for a Jeep" bandwagon...not to mention probably made in China.

KBR97 05-13-2011 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenorsepole (Post 1237306)
Was wondering the same. The description "sounds" good. Amazon has the front for $580 and the rear for $450.

That seems a little expensive...unless I'm overlooking something.

Front : J. E. Reel

Rear : J. E. Reel

http://www.4xshaft.com/JK-jeep.html