Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Off-Topic (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/)
-   -   Geocaching? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/geocaching-8342.html)

skeeter 05-27-2007 05:57 PM

Geocaching?

Anybody do it?
Is there a Jeep type club where caches are stashed in offroad areas?
If not, anybody interested in starting a club?

activelydying 05-27-2007 06:16 PM

:confused:

tiny terror 05-27-2007 06:19 PM

I'm not sure but is that the same thing that JP does every month or so? They give GPS coordinates and then people go look?

activelydying 05-27-2007 06:20 PM

go look for what?

tiny terror 05-27-2007 06:24 PM

stuff that someone else hides, prizes or something like that......... hookers AD, it's hookers. Happy now? :p

activelydying 05-27-2007 06:26 PM

maybe we should get a club started :D

skeeter 05-27-2007 06:26 PM

http://www.geocaching.com/

People go out and hide things, it could be anything, and then you go out and try to find it with a gps unit.
It's kind like modern day treasure hunting.

ETA, with hookers n blow to keep AD happy.

Scoob 05-27-2007 06:26 PM

I was wondering the same thing Skeeter. My daughter and I just started Geochaching and fell in love with the "sport" instantly.

skeeter 05-27-2007 06:32 PM

We haven't done it yet but I was reading a discussion on inexpensive hobbies on another forum and geocaching came up, it looks really interesting.

activelydying 05-27-2007 06:36 PM

no blow for me, i'm working ;)

AzTJ 05-27-2007 06:45 PM

I have a friend in the PHX valley area and he found an old tin with some cool leather keychains. He's gone on a few and says its really fun when you have to get out and hike.

activelydying 05-27-2007 06:46 PM

and he leaves something there in return?

Scoob 05-27-2007 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skeeter (Post 85941)
We haven't done it yet but I was reading a discussion on inexpensive hobbies on another forum and geocaching came up, it looks really interesting.

Its a riot and a great way to spend some quality time with family members.
Our first day caching we found one that was camouflaged in a tree. The hint said it was it would be but some people get really creative with their caches. This one was in a tree. we looked for 15 minutes trying to find it. Then noticed that there was a bird in a nest that didn't seem to bothered by our presence. The bird was a perfectly painted Styrofoam one and the bison capsule was stuck to his underside. From that point on we were hooked
If you think you will have any interest in it all all I highly suggest you grab a family member and the Jeep and give it a try. It really is a lot of fun. It helps to have 2 people though.

AzTJ 05-27-2007 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by activelydying (Post 85949)

yeah - I think he left some old baseball card or comic books.

Scoob 05-27-2007 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by activelydying (Post 85949)

there is all different types of caches. Some people set up a cache with a give and take type system others just have a paper for you to sign saying you were there.
A couple I have done that were fun. First was a military themed one.

Here is the hint givin to help you

Quote:

Our sons best friend is heading overseas with the Air Force.
We decided to place this cache to coincide with his tour.
The cache has patriotic themed trade items in it. If you can stay with the theme that's great!
There are two log books included, one to log your find and one that you can write a short note of support, thanks, encouragement or whatever to my little Air Force buddy!
We will give this book to him upon his return to the states.
Original contents:
Support our Troops magnet
Red white and blue pencils and erasers
Flag stickers
Matchbox airplanes
Mini flag banner
Red white and blue rubber bracelets
You are looking for a plastic jar that is approx. 10"x6"
The other was riddle type one that was fun as well.

Here was its hint.
Quote:

This is a very accessible site, with flat paved paths. It is on the campus of Midland Lutheran College. One of the features is an arboretum. If you bring a dog, you must bring a poop baggie and clean up.

This is a multi-leg (3) virtual cache, with some riddles and things you need to look for. Each of three coordinates has two questions you need to answer. Please stay on the paths - You do not need to leave the paved paths to find any of the answers. E-mail us with the answers (nebraskawhippets@earthlink.net), do NOT post the answers here, even if encrypted.

The first riddle (at the starting coordinates) is: #1. "I am in a tower. I am not a clock, but I can make noise. What am I?" #2. Now look around you - what breed of dog do you see mentioned?

Next is N41 26.211; W096, 29.261 #1. "Many people think I am aesthetically interesting, some folks do not understand me. What is my title?" #2. Now look around you without walking - what celestial object can you see mentioned?

Next and last is N41 26.255; W096 29.360 #1 What is the Latin name for this dwarf evergreen? #2 Walk approx (give or take a few feet) 100 feet east - what legendary music figure of the 50's last name is written here? Give the first name also.
Geocaching to me is just a great way to pass some time with family members on nice days. Its not about what you can get or give. Some of my favorites are just the ones where after finding the cache to just sign the note and get back to geocaching.com to log it.

activelydying 05-27-2007 07:09 PM

that does sound pretty cool. i've never heard of it before.

tiny terror 05-27-2007 07:12 PM

It does look pretty cool. Where do you get the coordinates out there for people to find the things you hide??

Scoob 05-27-2007 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiny terror (Post 85956)
It does look pretty cool. Where do you get the coordinates out there for people to find the things you hide??

at http://www.geocaching.com/ you just sign up to the website. After that you can put your zip code in the box in the top right corner and it will bring up all the caches with their coordinates near you. Given your location I would bet there are a lot of them.

take a look and let us know :)

activelydying 05-27-2007 07:37 PM

so i guess you could make it a all day affair if you wanted just by putting in a different zip code

Scoob 05-27-2007 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by activelydying (Post 85967)
so i guess you could make it a all day affair if you wanted just by putting in a different zip code

All day and then some, if you wanted too. On some well planned ones you could camp along the way. :)

activelydying 05-27-2007 07:49 PM

what does a gps unit run?

AzTJ 05-27-2007 07:55 PM

depends on what kind - $100/200+++++

tiny terror 05-27-2007 08:20 PM

Thanks for the link Scoob, that's just about to coolest. I like the trackable item that goes from cashe to cashe. This looks like something I'll have to read about more. I'd thought about a GPS unit for a long time because I have a lousy sense of direction, but this is better ;)

skeeter 05-27-2007 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by activelydying (Post 85975)
what does a gps unit run?

I've been seeing a bunch of used ones for $50 to $80.

activelydying 05-27-2007 08:27 PM

ebay?

skeeter 05-27-2007 09:01 PM

I hadn't even looked at ebay yet.
I looked through the forums there on the Geocaching site and at a firearms forum I spend a little time at.

Scoob 05-27-2007 09:10 PM

I got mine on Ebay. Completely refurbed with a 1 year warranty from Garmin.
For me the Quest was the best of both worlds. It has a mount for the Jeep which can give turn by turn directions through the stock stereo speakers but yet in a second you can snap it out of its holder and hike off to find the cache. The battery will run for 20 hours without being plugged into the Jeep.

Fleebay Link

I ordered the pod from the jeep dealer Friday ($120.00) so I should have it in about a week as well. Which gives me a total of 280 bucks invested in it. Far less then the 800 Jeep wants for basically the same thing with the trail guide name.

activelydying 05-27-2007 09:13 PM

do you have to load other maps on or everything pretty much on there?

Scoob 05-27-2007 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by activelydying (Post 86025)
do you have to load other maps on or everything pretty much on there?

The quest you have to load the map from your pc for the area your in. I have Nebraska and all the surrounding states (all 6 of them) in mine and it still has room for a couple more states in its memory.
The Quest has a 115 Meg onboard memory, the Quest 2 has 250 meg onboard. Its about the only difference between the 2 units.
The 60csx is a very popular unit among Jeepers as well.

Odhinn 05-28-2007 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skeeter (Post 85928)
Anybody do it?
Is there a Jeep type club where caches are stashed in offroad areas?
If not, anybody interested in starting a club?

One of my old managers use to do it and he seemed to have a great time. He would disappear on these group things for days on end.