Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Hard top hoist (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/hard-top-hoist-83830.html)

Bubbabuzz 03-09-2011 01:45 AM

Hard top hoist

I know there are kits that you can buy to hook to a hoist and lift a hard top, but i was wondering what the opinions were on using heavy chain/hooks instead of the T-bar setups and hooking to an electric hoist? My thinking is that it will be easier to store the chain than the bars and I could hook the chains at four points, (under door openings and eac side of the rear top corners) and join at the center hoist like an X. Any ideas or suggestions are welcome.

bbqfreak 03-09-2011 04:45 AM

i made my own t-bar style and used rope block and tackle from harbor frieght, can do it myself. 4 hooks may be harder by yourself

Bubbabuzz 03-09-2011 06:54 AM

Like the screen name bbqfreak. KCBS/MIM Pro competitor/organizer myself. Do you have any pics of the t-bar setup you made? I was planning on heading to Lowes today to browse their hardware section and get some ideas for hook setups. Like I said before, I've got the electric remote hoist to do all the lifting as opposed to a hand crank setup.

JeepinCpt 03-09-2011 04:31 PM

I saved this video to build one in the spring

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVGDP...embedded#at=26

IslandTJ 03-09-2011 06:22 PM

I just use 2 ratchet straps. Cheap and works well.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...e/DSC00071.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...e/DSC00074.jpg

moscoeb 03-09-2011 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IslandTJ
I just use 2 ratchet straps. Cheap and works well.

How long are those straps and how hard is it to put back on by yourself? Does it line up pretty easily? I like your idea, but I was contemplating using rope or climbing webbing. Thoughts? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using WF Access

Bubbabuzz 03-09-2011 09:20 PM

Went to Lowes today and bought (8) J hooks (2 for each point of contact-rated @ 50# each) that are threaded on one end and rubber coated, then went to Tractor Supply and bought four 3/4" cable buckles, to bolt the two hooks together and also offer a hoop for the coated steel cable to loop through. I am going to put a set under each door opening and a set under each side in the rear top, run the cable through the hoops across the top (door/door) and then across the rear and leave enough slack to form an X at the hook on the ceiling mounted 400/800# rated electric hoist. I will take pics after I get the cable. I should have roughly $60 when it's all set up. Not as cost effective as the straps, but I won't be afraid when the kiddos are beneath it while it's hoisted. Thanks for posting the pics IslandTJ. I am curious about your rock guards/step rails. Looking for a set on my '99. Thanks for the repost of the video JeepinCPT. I was looking for that last night and couldn't find it on the forum.

scavanau 03-10-2011 12:40 AM

If you did what IslandTJ did you'd have an extra $45 to buy a half a tank of gas.

jkaufman_95 03-10-2011 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moscoeb

How long are those straps and how hard is it to put back on by yourself? Does it line up pretty easily? I like your idea, but I was contemplating using rope or climbing webbing. Thoughts? Thanks!

The webbing would probably work well. Mine came with the hoist just no garage to hoist it with thinking about making a frame to hook a come along to use as a hoist

robbiecc 03-10-2011 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moscoeb (Post 1107967)

i use 4 straps and wondered the same thing after i raised it--i dropped each one a few inches at a time and it wasn't as bad as it sounds. once you are close enough you can manually lift/set each corner on the jeep. my total investment was like $12 but will get longer straps for the rear.
lineing up was easy and you do have some movement for adjusting-i set the front 1st and no probs after that

moscoeb 03-10-2011 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robbiecc

i use 4 straps and wondered the same thing after i raised it--i dropped each one a few inches at a time and it wasn't as bad as it sounds. once you are close enough you can manually lift/set each corner on the jeep. my total investment was like $12 but will get longer straps for the rear.
lineing up was easy and you do have some movement for adjusting-i set the front 1st and no probs after that

Thanks, gives me some ideas, may use climbing webbing or rope to increase strentgh and decrease anxiety of it failing!

UnlimitedLJ04 03-10-2011 09:48 AM

i made a full hoist setup with a HF 800lb 110V winch, and welded a support frame out of schedule 40, but it only works when rafters are available.

now I just use 4 ratchet straps and a buddy to help.

IslandTJ 03-10-2011 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moscoeb (Post 1107967)

I think they are 15-20' long. It's not difficult to use to remove or install the top back on. The only tricky part is how to work or manage the ratcheting mechanism when lowering the hardtop back on the Jeep, if you're not careful, the ratchet will upload suddenly and your top will drop. I do it slowly and let it drop one click at a time. As for lining up - no issues, it actually self centers. I like the strap because it allows the top to slide easily while raising or lowering.

Quote:

Originally Posted by scavanau (Post 1108490)
If you did what IslandTJ did you'd have an extra $45 to buy a half a tank of gas.

LOL, you know it :).

jryan 03-10-2011 12:46 PM

Okay I just watched the video, it seems like a lot of work. I just use 4 ratcheting 3/8" rope pulleys that I picked up at one of the big box hardware stores I think I have about $30 into it. I can remove or reinstall the top from my TJ in about 15 minutes by myself. It just hangs from the rafters most summer. I did the ratchet strap thing but the top is a little easier to put back on with the rope pulley. It can't get away from you like a ratchet strap could.

LiftedinCo 03-10-2011 01:13 PM

It's a Snap...

2 Attachment(s)
Home Depot has everything you need...

Attachment 40740

Attachment 40742

JeepinCpt 03-10-2011 01:21 PM

LiftedinCo....can you take some closeups of you pulley and hook mounts?

Dreamscape 03-10-2011 05:54 PM

Can someone tell me what the hardtop weighs?

JeepinCpt 03-10-2011 06:11 PM

I believe between 130 and 150 pounds

Dreamscape 03-10-2011 07:50 PM

Thanks!

Fowler10 03-10-2011 08:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've got a two piece hard top. just curious if you can use the roof rack for a point of attachment to lift off top? Any advice would be great a I attached a pic so you tan see my roof rack.

Buckeye90 03-10-2011 08:28 PM

LiftedinCo - How about some details on what you did. Looks sweet and easy!

sonofabeach 03-10-2011 09:09 PM

I used four eyebolts and two ratchets straps and cranked that sum b!tch all the way to the ceiling
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._4021696_n.jpg

IslandTJ 03-10-2011 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bubbabuzz (Post 1108073)
I am curious about your rock guards/step rails. Looking for a set on my '99.

I had to go with frame mounted rocker protection so I could use them as a step for my wife. They are very stout, I have used them as a pivot and as a jacking point. My wife likes them 'cause she can get into the Jeep :). They are offset, so they compliment my body lift well. As for installation, they are a simple one man job.

The brand is Detours and they are made in the US.

Drop-Kick Slyders

LiftedinCo 03-11-2011 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepinCpt (Post 1109322)
LiftedinCo....can you take some closeups of you pulley and hook mounts?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckeye90 (Post 1110131)
LiftedinCo - How about some details on what you did. Looks sweet and easy!

I am in the process of moving, the system was taken apart...give me a few days and I will take pictures of the parts laid out on the floor...I will look for the schematic diagram developed when the system was designed...Keep in mind I have not seen it in 7+ years...but I know it was put with other notes/diagrams for other parts that were fabricated over the years...

Once you see the components you will be able to build one...:thumb:

Enjoy the day...

PS Does anyone live in the Pueblo area...looking to meet other Jeepers...

JeepinCpt 03-11-2011 08:51 AM

Thank you liftedinco....looking forward to seeing it.

PAROTHED 03-11-2011 10:20 AM

Bought a 1/2 ton pickup truck bed crane on ebay for $110. mounted it to the side of the garage and use straps attached to my roof racks. Works really well and I now have the crane for other uses. Harbor freight has a similar rig for about $160.

Fowler10 03-11-2011 11:52 AM

So you use the roof rack to lift the top off? I was thinking that would've my route as well but wasn't sure if it would hold the weight. Do you use straps on all four corners

LiftedinCo 03-11-2011 08:09 PM

Thinking outside the box...

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAROTHED (Post 1110922)
Bought a 1/2 ton pickup truck bed crane on ebay for $110. mounted it to the side of the garage and use straps attached to my roof racks. Works really well and I now have the crane for other uses. Harbor freight has a similar rig for about $160.

Excellent...have any photos?

PAROTHED 03-12-2011 07:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Maybe I figured it out. Here's my crane. The racks are homemade using crossbars from a Leonard pickup truck rack. They're bolted thru the roof with fender washers underneath. I was worried about picking it up this way but it doesn't flex at all. I don't leave it hanging though. Either set it on some boards or in a utility trailer.

Fowler10 03-13-2011 07:37 AM

Thanks for the pics, I'll feel better lifting mine now.