Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Visor Decal "Fix" (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/visor-decal-fix-83857.html)

MTH 03-09-2011 09:27 AM

Visor Decal "Fix"

2 Attachment(s)
As many of you know, the 2007 to 2009 visor decals (warning us to drive safely!!) could be readily peeled off.

In 2010, Jeep began using a new adhesive that bonded the decal to the visor and made removal difficult if not impossible. Pics of my solution (which I copied from this guy) are attached. They're a custom order from Pixel Decals, who's website you can find here.

Looks much better! :dance::punk:

Peepers 03-09-2011 09:36 AM

I have these two on my visors:
All Things Jeep - No Problem/Problem Funny Off-Road Decal
All Things Jeep - Hang On, I want to try Something Dash Decal

MTH 03-09-2011 09:39 AM

Nice. I thought about keeping with the "warning" too. You're avatar was actually on my shortlist. :D

KooL 03-09-2011 10:17 AM

Looks good MTH!

KooL 03-09-2011 10:34 AM

What'd you have to do to custom order? Just send him the pics from the other thread, color selection, and measurements? I'm thinking bout something similar, but maybe just a lil different.

MTH 03-09-2011 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KooL (Post 1106750)
What'd you have to do to custom order? Just send him the pics from the other thread, color selection, and measurements? I'm thinking bout something similar, but maybe just a lil different.

That's exactly right. You can link to Don through the Pixel Decals website and he'll follow up with you directly. Then you just do it over email--send him pics, measurements, descriptions, whatever. If it's something you're not sure about, he'll email you a drafts for you to look at and consider. Very simple. He also did my "Mountain" decals. In both cases, I ended up with exactly what I thought I was going to end up with in just a few days.

KooL 03-09-2011 12:34 PM

Sweet deal. Thanks. If you don't mind... what was the approximate price of both custom decals?

MTH 03-09-2011 12:41 PM

Mountain decals (Pair): $20.

Visor decals (Pair): $30.

Shipping by mail is included in the price.

tmoca 05-14-2011 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTH (Post 1106984)
Mountain decals (Pair): $20.

Visor decals (Pair): $30.

Shipping by mail is included in the price.

What size did you make them?

MTH 05-14-2011 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmoca

What size did you make them?

Mountain decal: 14" long, using "mountain" (not rubicon) font.

And I'd recommend using a tape measure to confirm your existing visor decals are exactly the same and therefore would be fully covered by these measurements, but:

Visor decal driver: 9"x4"

Visor decal passenger: 9"x2"

My new decals are only about 1/8" bigger in all directions than the old visor decals.

GoldenSahara00 05-14-2011 12:21 PM

This would apply to 2000s also, I would say. I tried to remove mine yesterday with the hairdryer and they were not coming off. just flaking. so thanks!

tmoca 05-14-2011 12:52 PM

Yeah, I started to try to peel mine yesteday as well. What an F'ing mess. I started with the passenger side and got about a 1/4 of it of. What a pain.

MTH: Is the new sticker material thick enough not to show the form of the old one? Because of my partial removal, I don't want to have a outline of that showing below.

Also, you didn't have to send artwork right, you just showed them the other pics from the other thread...right?

I am going to continue to try to get the one I started off, but more than likely will not attempt the larger one and just cover it.

If I find some technique that works, I will post it.

Thanks for all the help.

InfernoGirl 05-14-2011 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenSahara00 (Post 1239268)
This would apply to 2000s also, I would say. I tried to remove mine yesterday with the hairdryer and they were not coming off. just flaking. so thanks!

Swap your visors... it's easy on a TJ, just slide them off and put them back on the opposite arm.

MTH 05-14-2011 02:19 PM

Quote:

MTH: Is the new sticker material thick enough not to show the form of the old one? Because of my partial removal, I don't want to have a outline of that showing below.

Not entirely. I peeled off some of mine too so I'm in the same boat, but truthfully it's hardly noticeable.

Quote:

Also, you didn't have to send artwork right, you just showed them the other pics from the other thread...right?

Either way. I just showed him the pics in the other thread along with some other possibilities I was considering. He emailed back proofs, and we went back and forth a few times until we got it.

tmoca 05-14-2011 02:32 PM

Cool, thanks for the info!

GoldenSahara00 05-14-2011 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InfernoGirl (Post 1239334)
Swap your visors... it's easy on a TJ, just slide them off and put them back on the opposite arm.

I think they already are, but you can still see them when its down either way. just switches which side they are one. I want them all gone ;)

Ill figure it out eventually. my project today was making my quick discos and got that done already :D

scolumbo 05-19-2011 07:03 PM

After I asked about getting the same visor decals as MTH, PixelDecals added them to their store:

JK Wrangler Visor Decals

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l4...rs-250x250.jpg

Thanks to MTH for getting it started.

chrisojk 05-19-2011 08:20 PM

Awesome! I wonder if MTH is getting royalties?
I think we get different stickers on the visors in Australia. They are enormous black and yellow monstrosities which I am planning to cover up soon.

scolumbo 05-20-2011 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisojk (Post 1250713)
I think we get different stickers on the visors in Australia. They are enormous black and yellow monstrosities which I am planning to cover up soon.

Hey, maybe if you inquire, they'll create a Down Under version. :)

MTH 05-26-2011 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scolumbo (Post 1250585)
After I asked about getting the same visor decals as MTH, PixelDecals added them to their store:

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisojk (Post 1250713)

:rofl::rofl: NOPE! No royalties! That's cool though, they weren't my idea to start with anyway and I'm just happy other folks like them. :punk::punk:

strider_mt2k 12-23-2011 03:41 AM

I think I'm down for a set after the holidays die down.

Good stuff! :thumb:

theStickbug 12-23-2011 06:06 AM

That's a great idea! I'm going to have to look into these, as well. The safety decals don't bother me too much, but after seeing this thread they'll probably start to.

Thanks for sharing!

real4x4 03-09-2012 06:55 AM

Finally got around to ordering these this morning. It's been on my list for a couple months now. Had a few extra bucks in my PayPal account, so I figured I'd spend some of it. Got mine with the 'dark sand' for the writing/logo and 'reflective black' for the fill-in space around it.

Thanks for the pics and the link, MTH!

GonzoBobH 05-17-2012 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTH (Post 1106644)
Nice. I thought about keeping with the "warning" too. You're avatar was actually on my shortlist. :D

So I wrote Don:

> > Was interested in a visor decal for my 2012 JK using the concept of the Warning - Do Not Screw With My Jeep Decal. The one that usual says Wrangler, could say Life's Good.

And this was his reply:

>There are a couple ways I could do it. Just a simple printed version, or > layering a couple colors of cut vinyl. > The cut vinyl version would be easier to keep subtle, by using 2 darker colors of vinyl.
>
> $25 printed or $30 cut vinyl for the pair. -- Don

Not sure what I want the WRANGLER one to say, but def' going to go with the Don't Screw one.

iluvshoes 07-31-2012 10:18 PM

$8 on ebay...for a clean look.
Jeep Wrangler JK Visor Airbag Warning Decal Covers | eBay

maxum_101 08-21-2012 09:24 PM

I tried looking for these at PixelDecals but they no longer sell them, anyone know where i can get them...
someone please help a new jku owner out

Up Hill Bill 08-21-2012 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxum_101 (Post 2709957)
I tried looking for these at PixelDecals but they no longer sell them, anyone know where i can get them...

Maybe Chrysler/Jeep made them stop because of copyright violation with Jeep logo and "Wrangler"?

MTH 08-21-2012 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxum_101

Just email him. He made them custom for me to begin with. :thumb:

maxum_101 08-21-2012 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTH (Post 2709992)
Just email him. He made them custom for me to begin with. :thumb:

tried..... he wont do it.
seems like a real nice guy over emails, but just wouldnt do it.

MTH 08-21-2012 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxum_101

tried..... he wont do it.
seems like a real nice guy over emails, but just wouldnt do it.

And he said he wouldn't do it because . . . ?