Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   5th gear just gone...stopped working? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/5th-gear-just-gone-stopped-working-83971.html)

fargonodak 03-09-2011 10:07 PM

5th gear just gone...stopped working?

I was on the interstate today in 5th gear and all of a sudden it was like I was in neutral and pressing on the gas. No noises, bangs, explosions, nothing in the road behind me. I was in 5th gear and then down shifted into 4th and went on my way.

Gears 1-4 and reverse are perfect. 2hi, 4 hi, and 4 low all work great. No odd noises, feels just the same as before, no high RPM's.

I was at a friends that just had fresh snow on the driveway and there is absolutely nothing leaking from underneath.

Anyone have any ideas what could have happened? I am a newbie and am wondering what to do.

Do I now have 4-speed?

firechicken 03-09-2011 10:18 PM

yup you do, its ok I drive a TJ and I curently have a 4 speed and have for over a year, The 5 is just decoration

ropanach 03-09-2011 10:19 PM

"C" clip that holds 5th gear in place has more than likley poped out, and your 5th gear has slid back on the shaft, There is a repair thread here some were on how to fix it.
I've been driving mine for 5 mounths now with out a problem (other than lower gas millage), hope this helps.

firechicken 03-10-2011 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ropanach
"C" clip that holds 5th gear in place has more than likley poped out, and your 5th gear has slid back on the shaft, There is a repair thread here some were on how to fix it.
I've been driving mine for 5 mounths now with out a problem (other than lower gas millage), hope this helps.

Same with me.
If somebody asks just tell em 5th gear is overrated

AAKTM 03-10-2011 02:19 PM

I lost 5th too, but when you stick it in 5th it sounds like its coming thriugh the floorboards andd vibrates REALLY well. Drained oil in tranny, had a few shavings in it, enough to maybe fill a teaspoon. Put clean oil in it (90 weight) and staing out of 5th. I wonder how long it will run this way?

firechicken 03-10-2011 03:49 PM

Tellin ya 5th gear is overrated. I should run you for awhile. I have been runnin mine over a year

ironmike08 03-10-2011 06:08 PM

I havent had 5th gear for a few months.Drives fine gas mileage isnt the greatest but so what.you'll be fine

duaneduanet 03-13-2011 01:05 AM

Same thing happened to mine. I had mine fixed and modified at a local trans shop. Not sure exactly how they fixed it. But they said that there is a mod for that transmission to keep that from happening again.

herbie 03-13-2011 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duaneduanet (Post 1113738)
Same thing happened to mine. I had mine fixed and modified at a local trans shop. Not sure exactly how they fixed it. But they said that there is a mod for that transmission to keep that from happening again.

yup stake the nut and a spot of weld