Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Soft top instalation questions (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/soft-top-instalation-questions-84011.html)

Austen 03-10-2011 10:37 AM

Soft top instalation questions

04 TJ Sport:

I have a hard top. I want to buy a Best Top soft top that comes with all hardware.

When I take off the hard top and install the soft top, do I have to then remove the soft top and all the hardware before putting the hard top back on next Autumn, or do I fold the soft top down to the back and put the hard top back on?

Also can someone try to describe what the soft top hardware attaches (or bolts) to secure it to the jeep?

Thank you for your help,
Austen
Central Connecticut

rgreenberg2000 03-10-2011 11:38 AM

Austen-

Yes, you will need to remove the soft top, and frame when you wish to put the hard top back on.

The assembly instructions that came with my Supertop were very good, and there are a couple of instructional videos that you can find with Google. You will attach the windshield header to the top of the windshield frame with brackets that are included and use the hard top latch slots. There are brackets into which the front frame of the top will seat that you will bolt into the front window frame using one of the Torx bolts that attaches the roll bar extenstions. The rear top frame attaches to the tub using the same bolt holes that are used for your hard top. Lastly, you will mount the two brackets on the rear tub rail that are used to tuck the bottom of the rear window in, these brackets also act as the tailgate bar retainer that helps keep the rear window firmly seated.

Once that is done, you'll be ready to get the top on. Read the instructions carefully and follow them, and know it gets easier once you have done it a time or two. Oh, and pay attention to the recommendations regarding the ambient temperature when you install the top. If it is cold, the top won't stretch as much, and you will have a harder time with the install......taking the top inside a heated area (garage, house) can help.

Hope this helps!

Rich

Austen 03-10-2011 12:01 PM

Thank you very much Rich,
You are very kind to share as much detail as you did.

So when it comes time to take the Sid top back off you fold it down and unattached the metal frame from the jeep all as one unit and store it, or do you take the top off, clean it and put it away, then remove the metal frame?

Neil F. 03-10-2011 12:12 PM

You don't take the fabric off the frame.

The above instructions are only for the original Supertop (PITA). The new Supertop NX is just like the OEM top plus it comes with quick disconnects. To remove the soft top, you pull the four spring loaded disconnects at the roll bar and it's off.

LCJeeper 03-10-2011 12:13 PM

Do yourself a favor and get a protective bag for the windows for when you store the top in the winter....