Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Transfer case bolts loose? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/transfer-case-bolts-loose-84479.html)

p95loser 03-13-2011 08:44 PM

Transfer case bolts loose?

About a week ago I picked up my 01 TJ 4.0 Auto from the tranny shop. I had them replace the rear main seal in the transmission that was leaking. This weekend was the first time I really had a chance to drive it. I noticed that under moderate acceleration from a stop or braking moderately to a stop, I would hear a clunking sound coming from under the vehicle.

I looked around under the jeep and found that one of the bolts that mounts the transfer case to the transmission was almost completely off :facepalm:. I then started looking at other bolts that these guys could have removed to replace the seal and found 4 nuts that are tightened on to the rubber mount on the skid plate that appeared loose and I also saw signs of shifting along the holes. I attempted to tighten these bolts myself but they just appeared to spin freely like you needed to get to the top of the bolt. Are these nuts supposed to be loose?

Am I on the right track here? I think I am going to call up the transmission shop and tell them I want them to go back and retighten every bolt and nut they loosened.

TexasT 03-13-2011 10:49 PM

Sounds like your trans mount is broken or the bolts are stripped. I'd talk to the manager tomorrow.

herbie 03-14-2011 04:17 PM

take it back and give em an earfull

IslandTJ 03-14-2011 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p95loser (Post 1115021)
About a week ago I then started looking at other bolts that these guys could have removed to replace the seal and found 4 nuts that are tightened on to the rubber mount on the skid plate that appeared loose and I also saw signs of shifting along the holes.

If those are for the transmission mount, they aren't torqued on much - just 21 ft lbs ;). They probably stripped them...

geiman 03-14-2011 06:51 PM

If its the stock transmission mount, the "tops" of those bolts are mounted between the rubber and metal parts of the transmission mount. They may be tack welded, but if they are they don't take much torque until the snap off and spin freely. This happened to mine to the point where I couldn't even remove the nuts because the bolts simply spinned. It was fun trying to cut those off with my angle grinder. If you have a dremel it would be much easier, but it took a good bit of finagling to get my angle grinder shoved back in there far enough. If those are loose that is where your knocking is probably coming from as well (either that or the mount itself is bad).

TJe0454 03-14-2011 07:21 PM

sounds like the shop is at fault. let them deal with it.

p95loser 03-15-2011 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geiman (Post 1116671)
If its the stock transmission mount, the "tops" of those bolts are mounted between the rubber and metal parts of the transmission mount. They may be tack welded, but if they are they don't take much torque until the snap off and spin freely. This happened to mine to the point where I couldn't even remove the nuts because the bolts simply spinned. It was fun trying to cut those off with my angle grinder. If you have a dremel it would be much easier, but it took a good bit of finagling to get my angle grinder shoved back in there far enough. If those are loose that is where your knocking is probably coming from as well (either that or the mount itself is bad).

Geiman, I think you nailed the issue. I went and talked to the transmission shop and the guy who did it already started being defensive. "I am not the kind of guy to leave bolts loose. I am not saying it can't happen, but I don't normally do that." Then he started in about some mount that keeps the motor from torquing that goes bad. After I told him it never did it until he took the transfer case off to change the rear main seal, he told me to bring the jeep back in and he would look over it.

I can already see where this is going...

rrich 03-15-2011 08:32 AM

There's really no reason for him to get defensive - he should have just asked you to bring it in if possible.

It happens, the phone rings, a customer comes in - all sorts of interruptions that disturb the train of thought.

If he'd just acted cordial and sympathetic - you'd be more apt to believe him when he tells you the mount is broke. As it is now, "I can already see where this is going" you are now on the defensive too. Clash time - you'll lose in the long run.

Don't let it turn ugly.

Maybe when you go, bring him a batch of cookies that your wife/gf made for the shop. And be nice, it'll go a long way!

Sometimes we screwed up too - most often it was something else unrelated or unforeseen. It happens. But when a customer comes in with fangs out - what do you think his reaction would be? I'd try to neutralize the situation as fast as possible.
Works both ways.

p95loser 03-15-2011 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrich (Post 1117714)
There's really no reason for him to get defensive - he should have just asked you to bring it in if possible.

It happens, the phone rings, a customer comes in - all sorts of interruptions that disturb the train of thought.

If he'd just acted cordial and sympathetic - you'd be more apt to believe him when he tells you the mount is broke. As it is now, "I can already see where this is going" you are now on the defensive too. Clash time - you'll lose in the long run.

Don't let it turn ugly.

Maybe when you go, bring him a batch of cookies that your wife/gf made for the shop. And be nice, it'll go a long way!

Sometimes we screwed up too - most often it was something else unrelated or unforeseen. It happens. But when a customer comes in with fangs out - what do you think his reaction would be? I'd try to neutralize the situation as fast as possible.
Works both ways.

I would agree with everything you said here. The guy was friendly and not talking in an escalated manner, nor was I. I was more saying that this could very easily turn into a "not our fault" situation. I cannot see the mount breaking any other way than the bolts being over torqued (I could be wrong, but that is the thing that is popping out at me).

I am more frustrated about the Jeep in general because I payed a little more to buy the thing from a local Jeep dealer with him advertising the vehicle as being in top shape, and at the surface it did appear so. I have since put over $800 in the thing due to leaks. I guess I should have taken it to a mechanic before I bought it...