Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Need help picking soft top (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/need-help-picking-soft-top-84516.html)

Ecker786 03-14-2011 05:36 AM

Need help picking soft top

Im looking into getting a soft top and need some help picking one out. I thought I was dead set on the rampage frameless top but recently have been considering the bestop sunrider or supertop because they are easier to drop (whereas the rampage frameless top needs to be removed). I really prefer the look of the rampage because of how smooth it looks without the cross support hardware. Money really isnt all that important in my decision, I just want a good product that Ill be happy with. If there is a better option i'm missing or anyone has advice on these tops I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks

-Bud 05 TJ 6-speed, 3" Zone, 1.25"BL, 33" Duratracs on Dick Cepek DC-2s

SlandNh313 03-14-2011 06:43 AM

I just put the bestop replacement top on mine pretty easy to take on and off it has the tinted sides and back made my jeep look alot better

Road_House 03-14-2011 06:48 AM

I just had the same problem that you have. It took me about two weeks to make a choice but I finally picked the bestop supertop NX. Now I love how the frameless look. The rampage is nice, I also liked the softopper and also the trektop NX, but like you said there kind of a pain to go topless and that's what it's all about, at least for me. Also I liked how when you do go topless with the supertop NX it stores neatly in the back. Oh yea if you haven't had a top with a sun-rider feature before your going to love it, and if you like the bikini top feature, take the windows off and you pretty much have that feature.

Well good luck

- here's a video bestop put out about the supertop NX

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWEqW...e_gdata_player

Ecker786 03-14-2011 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Road_House
I just had the same problem that you have. It took me about two weeks to make a choice but I finally picked the bestop supertop NX. Now I love how the frameless look. The rampage is nice, I also liked the softopper and also the trektop NX, but like you said there kind of a pain to go topless and that's what it's all about, at least for me. Also I liked how when you do go topless with the supertop NX it stores neatly in the back. Oh yea if you haven't had a top with a sun-rider feature before your going to love it, and if you like the bikini top feature, take the windows off and you pretty much have that feature.

Well good luck

Thank you for pointing that one out. I think that might be the ticket. Whats the difference between black diamond and black denim (same price so im guessing its not sailcloth vs non sailcloth)?

h2obill 03-14-2011 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ecker786 (Post 1115594)
Thank you for pointing that one out. I think that might be the ticket. Whats the difference between black diamond and black denim (same price so im guessing its not sailcloth vs non sailcloth)?

lets see the black diamond i believe was what was used in the newer models (03 and newer at least) so you'd want to go with black diamond since you have an '05

Road_House 03-14-2011 02:54 PM

I thought on was just a darker black. But that's just a guess.

Neil F. 03-14-2011 04:32 PM

The diamond and denim is the pattern and yes, the denim looks a little more gray than the diamond.

tomkaren 03-14-2011 06:39 PM

Supertop NX will be sailcloth. It is NOT out yet. We have it on order and hoping it will be available for shipping soon.

Noshtzy 03-14-2011 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Road_House

Well good luck

Did you get a Supertop NX already? I thought they weren't available yet.

Road_House 03-14-2011 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noshtzy

Did you get a Supertop NX already? I thought they weren't available yet.

I just have an order conformation with 4wd.com not a shipping conformation

KP Texan 03-15-2011 09:41 AM

My Jeep had a brand new Smittybilt top with tinted windows on it when I purchased it last month. I know Smittybilt has a bad reputation around these parts but, to be honest with you, this top seems to be very well made! The material is thick (I actually compared it to a coworkers factory top), the stitching is well done, and the zippers seem to be very heavy duty. I've already dropped it a few times for the nice weather and it's pretty easy to work with (gets much easier once you learn the tricks). I think Smittybilt may have gone through some changes with their tops recently and this may not be the one they were selling a year or two ago. Had I bought the top myself, I probably would have given into the fear that "everything Smittybilt is crap" and purchased a Bestop, but I really have no complaints with my Smittybilt right now. These are just a few thoughts based on my own experiences! :)

-Wes