Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   Transmission question. (newbie+girl=NEED HELP) (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/transmission-question-newbie-girl-need-help-84538.html)

polos26 03-14-2011 10:58 AM

Transmission question. (newbie+girl=NEED HELP)
 
I just picked up my 93 jeep this past weeked and I have yet to take it to a mechanic (don't ask). The car has a brand new clutch and the former owner informed me that I had to "learn" how to shift into 3rd.

I've had many stick cars in my life so Im by no means new to gears, however I am having trouble shifting into 3rd and 4th. it makes the same sound as if I was trying to shift gears without the clutch and it pains me! I mentioned the new clutch because I am not sure if that might have something to do with it or could it be the transmission? No problems going into 1st, 2nd, 5th, or R. only 3rd and 4th. :banghead:

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,
Jess

kik 03-14-2011 11:10 AM

Chances are on a 93, due to the mileage, etc., it probably needs synchros. The clutch is probably fine since you are able to shift into other gears without a problem.

billytheyj 03-14-2011 11:12 AM

So its grinding while shifting into 3rd and 4th? Have you "double clutched" to shift? Probably synchros.

Edit: someone beat me to it

polos26 03-14-2011 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billytheyj (Post 1115789)
So its grinding while shifting into 3rd and 4th? Have you "double clutched" to shift? Probably synchros.

Edit: someone beat me to it

Now that you guys mention it, the guy did say something about synchros.
What is 'double clutching'?
Are synchros something that is gonna cost an arm and a leg?

Glenn91YJ 03-14-2011 11:48 AM

It makes sense that your having problems with both those gears. 3rd and 4th are one syncro sleeve on the same shift fork. I doubt both syncro cones went out at the same time. Maybe a shift fork problem or maybe the syncro sleeve on that fork is cracked/shattered. Definitely sounds like a transmission problem.

darkproximity 03-14-2011 12:14 PM

Double clutch:

While in gear, depress clutch pedal and shift into neutral, release clutch pedal

Depress clutch pedal, shift into next desired gear, release clutch pedal.

This might give you a little more information regarding the transmission:
http://www.howstuffworks.com/search....d+transmission

pick through some of the articles on there and see if you can learn anything new. I'll be honest, Im a dude and a few years back I didn't know much about the inner workings of automobiles, went on howstuffworks and learned quite a bit. :D

hope this helps

jeepers29 03-14-2011 12:17 PM

Welcome and hope it all works out for you.

my1stnicejeep 03-14-2011 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkproximity (Post 1115888)
Double clutch:

While in gear, depress clutch pedal and shift into neutral, release clutch pedal

Depress clutch pedal, shift into next desired gear, release clutch pedal.


Have to throw a "Rev" in there when downshifting to match the road speed.You are basically shifting without the synchronyzer like a Tractor Trailor.

Costwise it aint gonna be cheap.

Remove trans
Disassemble trans
Repair
Reinstall in vehicle

Captnrich 03-14-2011 12:22 PM

Welcome, Where are you located? There is a great Jeep/transmission shop here in Ft. Lauderdale.

Undead-89 03-14-2011 12:26 PM

You can double check the Clutch fluid levels and the Gear Oil in the transmission too. But probably a synchro issue.

Back in the Day we used to call clutchless shifting "speed Shifting."

billytheyj 03-14-2011 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undead-89
You can double check the Clutch fluid levels and the Gear Oil in the transmission too. But probably a synchro issue.

Back in the Day we used to call clutchless shifting "speed Shifting."

Haha I speed shift in the wifes lil' 2005 pontiac sunfire, when I'm feeling like speed racer... or just don't want to be seen in that car for a long time

darkproximity 03-14-2011 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by my1stnicejeep (Post 1115893)
Have to throw a "Rev" in there when downshifting to match the road speed.You are basically shifting without the synchronyzer like a Tractor Trailor.

Costwise it aint gonna be cheap.

Remove trans
Disassemble trans
Repair
Reinstall in vehicle

Yeah i forgot that, i just woke up and im trying to make my coffee lol

polos26 03-14-2011 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captnrich (Post 1115894)
Welcome, Where are you located? There is a great Jeep/transmission shop here in Ft. Lauderdale.

Im in boca so not too far if they're good. Can you send me their info please?

Thank you

black94yj 03-14-2011 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by my1stnicejeep (Post 1115893)
Have to throw a "Rev" in there when downshifting to match the road speed.You are basically shifting without the synchronyzer like a Tractor Trailor.

Costwise it aint gonna be cheap.

Remove trans
Disassemble trans
Repair
Reinstall in vehicle

:thumb:

chensley 03-14-2011 09:51 PM

I luled at the title and all the responses. You go girl


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:54 PM.