Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Vent Selector Not Working Issue (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/vent-selector-not-working-issue-84956.html)

bpm54 03-16-2011 12:11 PM

Vent Selector Not Working Issue

I have a 04 Wrangler and recently I've lost control of the vent selector. I can't select AC or direct air venting. When turning the vent selector knob it doesn't click from each setting to the next. The blower seems to be working fine in the sence that you can hear it as you turn it up from min to max but no air will blow out of the dash vents. Also, cold air seems to be coming from the defrost vents all the time now.

Also, about the same time this started to happen a clicking noise is present in the engine bay. The noise will occur about every 30 seconds.

Any Suggestions as what the problem is and how to fix.

Thanks.

wmpiehl 03-16-2011 02:02 PM

sounds electrical to me, like your switch has gone out. It may also be the doors in your heater/AC box. That was my problem. If one of those breaks then you usually only get air out of one vent. The blower will still work thought. The broken door trying to move may be the clicking noise you hear.

02tjapex 03-16-2011 02:31 PM

I had the exact same problem in my 02. Turned out it is a vacuum line that controls the vent selection. Look underneath your battery tray and you'll see a black plastic box with 3 or 4 rubber hoses coming out of it. Make sure everything is connected. Worked for me. Let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using WF Access

TexasT 03-16-2011 02:43 PM

Probably vacuum, as mentioned...the default mode or no vacuum mode is defrost.

FamilyGuyJeep 03-16-2011 02:59 PM

As for the selector not working, check the knob itself. At one point the back tabs that keep the dial centered were broken and all I needed were new knobs. Mine would spin all over the place. The cold issue could be a thermostat. Not quite sure what the clicking in the engine compartment might be without hearing it. Just some other options if the others didn't work. Good luck.

darin.1701 03-16-2011 04:39 PM

i have an 04 X and the "tab" thing on the knob broke. it was a simple fix, went to the dealer, spent $5.00 bought a new knob, installed it in the jeep, and it was working again.

bmanrkg3 03-16-2011 09:37 PM

I had the vacuum leak problem too, but it was located on top of the motor on the drivers side. took a tiny zip tie and fixed it easy.

bpm54 03-18-2011 10:47 PM

It was a broken knob. Thanks all!

BLK00TJ 03-18-2011 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bpm54 (Post 1125272)
It was a broken knob. Thanks all!

Yep. Common problem. I had two of the three cracked so I ordered three to have a spare on hand. I was able to get one working for a good while with crazy glue. Let it dry disconnected if you do this though.

bpm54 03-19-2011 12:02 AM

Thought about gluing but such a cheap repair, eh what the hell. I was expecting much more and got off cheap.

starramus 07-15-2012 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmanrkg3 (Post 1121571)
I had the vacuum leak problem too, but it was located on top of the motor on the drivers side. took a tiny zip tie and fixed it easy.

Had the same problem and I also fixed it with a nylon cable tie to keep it from coming off. They must get loose as they age, and come off.