Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   General Jeep Discussion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/)
-   -   Cracked head maybe ?????? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/cracked-head-maybe-85471.html)

1AGITIS 03-19-2011 06:47 PM

Cracked head maybe ??????

93 Wrangler YJ 4.0, with 112000 miles on it
Did a cylinder comprestion test due to running hot and a small miss tried everthing else.

Front cyl 185,2nd 190, 3rd 190, 4th 195, 5th 195, last 130 dry 170 wet.

The last cyl closest to the firewall had a fowled plug.
Could it just be rings any way to fix easy or is it a cracked head, Oil is good no water, Rad is full no loss of water,

The temp gauge only raises when im driving it. It can idle all day and not get hot.

01bud 03-19-2011 07:14 PM

well if no loss of water you must be burning oil to fowl plug.but that dosent explain overheating.first thing i would do is a leak down test.that will check rings,valves and headgasket.if your overheating without loosing coolant it could be thermostat or radiator cap.need more info to diagnose.:confused:

1AGITIS 03-19-2011 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01bud (Post 1126609)
well if no loss of water you must be burning oil to fowl plug.but that dosent explain overheating.first thing i would do is a leak down test.that will check rings,valves and headgasket.if your overheating without loosing coolant it could be thermostat or radiator cap.need more info to diagnose.:confused:

Its not burning oil, new thermostat and cap.
What is a leak dowm test

TJ Terry 03-19-2011 07:31 PM

Doubt that the head is cracked, thay usually blow compression in radiator when head is cracked. It looks to me like its using oil. Is it? cylinders 1-4 have to much compression. 150 is ideal, any thing over that and you have carbon build up, oil going past the rings and charring to the head and top of piston. A picture of the plugs would help diagnose the problem. You say cyl # 6 is fowled? does it have a carbon build up on it or does it have gas dripping off of it? What have you tried for the over heat problem?

1AGITIS 03-19-2011 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ Terry (Post 1126634)
Doubt that the head is cracked, thay usually blow compression in radiator when head is cracked. It looks to me like its using oil. Is it? cylinders 1-4 have to much compression. 150 is ideal, any thing over that and you have carbon build up, oil going past the rings and charring to the head and top of piston. A picture of the plugs would help diagnose the problem. You say cyl # 6 is fowled? does it have a carbon build up on it or does it have gas dripping off of it? What have you tried for the over heat problem?

It is not using oil. I did the seafom treatment in the oil and intake, the plug was wet looking no carbon on it, Overheating prob i have done a flush thermastat rad cap new fluid water pump is not leaking fan clutch is strong missing about 8 inches of the shroud at the bottom.

01bud 03-19-2011 08:23 PM

if its not using coolant or oil but you have low compression and overheating.your ether missing something or your not giving the whole story.not making sence.:banghead:

1AGITIS 03-19-2011 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01bud (Post 1126710)
if its not using coolant or oil but you have low compression and overheating.your ether missing something or your not giving the whole story.not making sence.:banghead:

Well thats from two reputable jeep guys dont think im missing anything.

01bud 03-19-2011 09:06 PM

well good luck. i thought i could help