Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Need adapters to put JK wheels on my TJ!!! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/need-adapters-to-put-jk-wheels-on-my-tj-8560.html)

96gt226410 06-05-2007 07:44 PM

Need adapters to put JK wheels on my TJ!!!

Can someone tell me where to find the wheel adapters so I could fit JK wheels on my TJ? I need to find 5x4.5 to 5x5 and I've searched for 20 minutes with no luck. Thanks guys!

* I just posted this in the TK section, too but I figured I'd have better luck in here.

mrblaine 06-05-2007 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 96gt226410 (Post 88679)
Can someone tell me where to find the wheel adapters so I could fit JK wheels on my TJ? I need to find 5x4.5 to 5x5 and I've searched for 20 minutes with no luck. Thanks guys!

* I just posted this in the TK section, too but I figured I'd have better luck in here.

Why not take a look at WJ unit bearings? Same pattern.

Scout 06-05-2007 10:12 PM

http://www.wranglerforum.com/jk-chat...ease-8559.html

:confused:

Absolute Offroad 06-05-2007 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrblaine (Post 88724)
Why not take a look at WJ unit bearings? Same pattern.

So, he's just going to put them on the FRONT???:confused: That would make no sense. How would he put them on the rear??? If you didnt use a spacer in the front, but did on the rear, it would be too wide in the rear and track really funny....:D

Joe
Absolute Offroad

mrblaine 06-06-2007 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Absolute Offroad (Post 88740)
So, he's just going to put them on the FRONT???:confused: That would make no sense. How would he put them on the rear??? If you didnt use a spacer in the front, but did on the rear, it would be too wide in the rear and track really funny....:D

Joe
Absolute Offroad

With a name like Absolute Offroad you'd figure you'd know that there's a ton of axleshafts that are dual bolt pattern, with the larger pattern being 5 on 5.5. By extrapolation and a bit of common sense it ain't hard to figure that if you can redrill a flange to a 5.5" bolt circle, the 5" circle will work as well.

RedRubiTJ 06-06-2007 01:35 AM

I am not aware of spacers that can do that are currently available. I'm not sure why, since I don't need them but I have been looking :confused: .

binaryking 06-06-2007 12:26 PM

These guys might have what you're looking for. Give them a call.

http://www.okoffroad.com/stuff-wheelspacers.htm

MR.CLIFFORD 06-06-2007 01:10 PM

This guy also has the adapters you need.

http://www.weirdharoldscoolparts.com/

56.85 each isn't a bad price either.

1BLKJP 06-06-2007 02:43 PM

Both of those options would be better than the expense of changing your unit bearings and having to re-drill your rotors. Then either replacing the rear shafts or re-drilling them for 5x5 and your rotors or drums to match. That's not even considering the backspacing of the JK rims and the rubbing that would commence with said backspacing and bigger tires on the TJ. Throwing 500 bucks and a parts catalog at an easily solvable 200 dollar problem doesn't really sound like a beneficial solution to me.

mrblaine 06-06-2007 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1BLKJP (Post 88952)
Both of those options would be better than the expense of changing your unit bearings and having to re-drill your rotors.

I redrill rotors all the time. I guess I don't figure on others not being able to. I've also redrilled them many times for other folks as well, so to me, redrilling a rotor doesn't register on my difficulty scale at all.

Quote:

Then either replacing the rear shafts or re-drilling them for 5x5 and your rotors or drums to match.
I do so much design work on axle kits that redrilling an axle flange is nothing. I drop stuff off at machine shops on a daily basis to get redrilled, the latest being Ford F-150 rotors being converted from 4.5 to 5.5 bolt circles to be used on Van's brake conversion for the big Warn kit.
Quote:

That's not even considering the backspacing of the JK rims and the rubbing that would commence with said backspacing and bigger tires on the TJ.
Is the backspacing that much different from a TJ rim?

Quote:

Throwing 500 bucks and a parts catalog at an easily solvable 200 dollar problem doesn't really sound like a beneficial solution to me.
I don't really believe that my 500 dollar expenditure is as high as your 200 is too low.

Besides, unit bearings are wear items, they do need to be replaced and depending on where he is in the life of his current ones, it may even be a wash. I also don't consider a pair of unit bearings to be anywhere near the contents of a parts catalogue, do you?

No matter, we all skin cats different ways. Personally, I'd do anything just about to avoid wheel adapters. I'd also do just about anything to avoid 16 and 17" tires.

Scout 06-06-2007 10:48 PM

Well that's quite the resume' you posted there. :rolleyes:

I believe the original poster asked about "wheel spacers" not what your experience is with "redrilling flanges" and what you consider being difficult on your "scale".

Your knowledge on the board will be much more appreciated if you deliver it in a different fashion. :)

Absolute Offroad 06-06-2007 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrblaine (Post 89124)

Is the backspacing that much different from a TJ rim?
No matter, we all skin cats different ways. Personally, I'd do anything just about to avoid wheel adapters. I'd also do just about anything to avoid 16 and 17" tires.

This is the MAJOR problem that is going on in the Industry right now. People that are familiar with the TJ cant seem to think outside of the "TJ" box. Yes, Mr. Blaine, the backspacing is WAY different, and with a resume like the one you posted, I cant understand why you didnt know that. :confused: As for avoiding a 16 or 17" tire, well that, once again is old school thinking. Mr. Blaine, its unfourtunate that you dont like 16 or 17" wheels, but they are what is moving forward in the industry, as with the New JK. Everything progresses, and just because YOU choose not to, others are embracing change, not fighting it. I think that if you were going to make the suggestion to use WJ front bearings, then you should have completed your thought and also mentioned re-drilling the rear.

Joe
Absolute Offroad

binaryking 06-06-2007 11:49 PM

I like puddin. It's yummy. :)

mrblaine 06-07-2007 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Absolute Offroad (Post 89133)
This is the MAJOR problem that is going on in the Industry right now. People that are familiar with the TJ cant seem to think outside of the "TJ" box. Yes, Mr. Blaine, the backspacing is WAY different, and with a resume like the one you posted, I cant understand why you didnt know that. :confused:

For some reason, the time I spent up at the Springs during the JK short lead media launch was poorly spent as it didn't really register that there was more than 5 1/2 inches of backspacing on all those 17" rims we were cleaning and polishing.

I'll make it a point to run around the corner to my neighbor's house and check his.

Quote:

As for avoiding a 16 or 17" tire, well that, once again is old school thinking. Mr. Blaine, its unfourtunate that you dont like 16 or 17" wheels, but they are what is moving forward in the industry, as with the New JK. Everything progresses, and just because YOU choose not to, others are embracing change, not fighting it.
I own a TJ with 17" rims, I own 2 more with 16" rims, my tow rig has 17's and the last 3 tow rigs I've owned all had 17's. So, I'm hardly old school and never said I didn't like them. I am a bit budget minded in my recommendations to others on something like tires though and paying a 100 bucks more per tire when it comes time to replace them conventionally is not something most are familiar with.

Trust me, it would be a bunch easier on me designing brake kits if everyone had 16" or bigger rims.

I opted to sell my wife's MT/R's to a buddy to help him get his rig on the trail after we converted it to 16" rims to clear the WJ brakes we installed on the HP 9" front axle. He had 3 and about that time, they went on nationwide backorder. My wife's rig sees more street time, so I put A/T's on it and the 16" MT/R's on his.

Quote:

I think that if you were going to make the suggestion to use WJ front bearings, then you should have completed your thought and also mentioned re-drilling the rear.

Joe
Absolute Offroad
Fair enough, my apologies for failing to mention what I thought was obvious.

My final thoughts on 16 and 17" rims is that I wish they could get the performance of the tires for them up higher offroad or at least offer something in less than the mostly offered Load Range E which is ridiculous for most Jeeps. It's to the point where 35's are about the norm and 17-35's just don't work as well as a 15-35 does in most tire brands and styles. We even see a significant reduction in performance between a 16" MT/R and a 15 in 35" sizes.