Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   My Exhaust is Clunking (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/my-exhaust-is-clunking-85755.html)

VVCG33 03-21-2011 04:10 PM

My Exhaust is Clunking

Lately, when going over bumps, my exhaust starts to clunk, and it is really loud and really annoying. I live on a dirt road. Well its mud season so it is more like a mud road and there are HUGE ruts and bumps. Could the exhaust pipe some how gotten unbolted in some place? I got out and moved it around with my hand and it moves around a lot..

Thanks

Geno 03-21-2011 04:19 PM

It could be one of the rubber mounts. There are two that hold the rear part of the tailpipe. One just in front of the rear end and the other behind it. Look inside the passenger rear wheelwell. When its cold, grab the tailpipe and see how much movement you got. Shouldnt be much, if there is, then we found the problem.

VVCG33 03-21-2011 05:27 PM

Yup, just went out there and I was able to move it about 2-3 inches at a 45 degree angle up towards the tire. The source of the clunking was coming from it bashing against the fuel tank skid plate. Is there a way to repair the mounts?

VVCG33 03-21-2011 09:27 PM

Tomorrow I'm going to see if I can hook a clothes-hanger around the muffler and attach it to the bracket that seems to have been broken

scavanau 03-22-2011 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VVCG33 (Post 1130700)
Tomorrow I'm going to see if I can hook a clothes-hanger around the muffler and attach it to the bracket that seems to have been broken

2 years now with a coat hanger in place of that same exhaust hanger. Probably driving the same roads.

jeepjones 03-22-2011 04:21 AM

It might have become dislodged from the hanger located on the RS of the transmission above the skid plate.

VVCG33 03-22-2011 12:17 PM

Just wrapped a coat hanger around it and it holds up pretty good. I attached the hanger to a bracket I didn't see before that is bolted onto the frame and doesn't seem like it serves a purpose.

Also, when I moved the tailpipe, the entire muffler all the way up to the tranny moved a couple inches as well.

I'll post pics of my work later

2003sahara 03-22-2011 01:21 PM

Check you'r exhaust manifold. Mine had loosened up and was allowing the hole exhaust to move. Spray, Spary and more Spray b-4 attempting to tighten those up.

VVCG33 03-22-2011 05:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Heres a picture of that bracket with a clothes hanger tied onto it...

Cons_Table 03-22-2011 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VVCG33 (Post 1132192)

That mount is meant to hold your exhaust. There is supposed to be a rod through the bottom of the bushing that is attached to your tail pipe.

99jeeper 03-22-2011 05:24 PM

take alook at the mount next to thr transfer case.i had the round bar mount break

VVCG33 03-22-2011 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cons_Table (Post 1132227)
That mount is meant to hold your exhaust. There is supposed to be a rod through the bottom of the bushing that is attached to your tail pipe.

Yeah I just figured that out by looking at another exhaust. There should be a hook pulling the exhaust away from the fuel tank.

scavanau 03-22-2011 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VVCG33 (Post 1132192)

You can see the remainder of the welded (now rotted away) hook on the bottom of that tail pipe. Triple up on that hanger. I found that one loop doesn't last long.

VVCG33 03-23-2011 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2003sahara (Post 1131824)
Check you'r exhaust manifold. Mine had loosened up and was allowing the hole exhaust to move. Spray, Spary and more Spray b-4 attempting to tighten those up.

Yeah, I found some bolts where the exhaust pipe/muffler meets up with some other piece...The bolts seem to be a little loose. Maybe if I tighten those....

hookuspookus 03-24-2011 07:32 PM

theres a invention called a universal tailpipe hanger its 3 bucks ! take the bolts off the frame and bolt it there ,then you bolt the hanger to your pipe , i know this sounds like a scientist would have to install it , but i'm sure a common person can do this too !

InfernoGirl 03-24-2011 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hookuspookus
theres a invention called a universal tailpipe hanger its 3 bucks ! take the bolts off the frame and bolt it there ,then you bolt the hanger to your pipe , i know this sounds like a scientist would have to install it , but i'm sure a common person can do this too !

^^^^^^ This

VVCG33 03-24-2011 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hookuspookus (Post 1136466)

Oh boy, I don't know if I can handle the challenge. I'll try to find one.