Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   2000 - 2005 TJ LED Dash MOD (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/2000-2005-tj-led-dash-mod-85880.html)

Riftamos 03-22-2011 09:24 AM

2000 - 2005 TJ LED Dash MOD
 
Ok so I've read all about the LED dash mod, and how to do it and where to get the bulbs, but no where I have I read any detail about this on a post 2000 TJ, with the red needles on the clusters. Im really thinking about Blue LED's but Im not sure how it will look and if I will no longer be able to see my needles, which are rather vital when you think about it. Can anyone shed some light onto how this looks, or works out. Thanks

Im rocking a 2002 Sahara for what its worth...

Hardermods 03-22-2011 10:31 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I've got an 01 with red needles with blue leds and the needles glow blue. I went with the single led bulbs but if I did it again I would get the bulbs that have 3 or more as I have dead spots

Riftamos 03-22-2011 12:25 PM

Totally Killer! just what i was looking for. looks cool and seems to be easy to see. Thanks for your help!

Ecker786 03-22-2011 12:29 PM

What all does a project like this intail? Looks real good

-Bud 05 TJ 6-speed, Dana 44 Rear, 3" Zone, 1.25"BL, 33" Duratracs on Dick Cepek DC-2s

Riftamos 03-22-2011 01:22 PM

From reading, you'll need about an hour of time, $25 dollars, and a screwdriver. I hear that VLEDS.c o m is a good place to order from. Im no expert on dash removal but I hear its not too difficult, hopefully someone can post to help me with that also.

Hardermods 03-22-2011 05:24 PM

If you read down in this thread there is a video on how to do it Instrument panel lights.....Blue LED's

Rob and TJ 04-12-2013 12:14 AM

superbrightleds.com. 19 bucks shipped for instrument cluster lights and hvac lights. Took me 30 min for both. If at first the bulb doesn't work, take it out and rotate it once more. One of the easiest coolest installs ive ever done. The Hvac lights are an icy blue whereas the dash are more of deep blue. During the day, they do look purple haha. Superbrightleds.com has alllll sorts of awesome stuff btw...U can still see ur needles, though it does take a brief second for your eyes to adjust to see them. Very brief. Do it, you wont regret it!

InvisiblePants 04-12-2013 02:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yeah, it really is not hard at all to change the leds. If you can turn a screwdriver you can change the lights. I think it took me about 20 mins.

DetroitRodeo 04-12-2013 08:59 AM

I have 2006. The dash is not completely put back together, but you'll get an idea. I sanded the orange off of the MPH and RPM needles. Also, I took paint thinner and elbow grease to take off the layer behind the numbers to get a true blue color and not a purplish tint (yes I am a perfectionist lol) You can see the difference it makes in the pics below. Also, the blue is very even, my phone just didn't capture the light correctly...but you can see how much more blue mine looks compared to ones who didn't do this. Just sharing to give ya ideas :)

n00g7 04-12-2013 09:57 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob and TJ (Post 3626653)
superbrightleds.com. 19 bucks shipped for instrument cluster lights and hvac lights. Took me 30 min for both. If at first the bulb doesn't work, take it out and rotate it once more. One of the easiest coolest installs ive ever done. The Hvac lights are an icy blue whereas the dash are more of deep blue. During the day, they do look purple haha. Superbrightleds.com has alllll sorts of awesome stuff btw...U can still see ur needles, though it does take a brief second for your eyes to adjust to see them. Very brief. Do it, you wont regret it!


Do you have their part numbers on hand for hvac and dash?

Rob and TJ 04-12-2013 12:48 PM

Give me a bitbto find them. Super bright has a guide for ur vehicle too

miked12479 04-12-2013 07:46 PM

I ordered all from superbrightleds.com

5 - 74-xHP (74 LED Bulb - 1 SMD LED Wedge Base) for Gauge Cluster

6 - NEO4-x (NEOx LED Bulb - Instrument Panel LED) 3 for HVAC controls and 3 for switches under HVAC (Hardtop Wiper, Defroster, and O/D Off)

2 - 4410-x9 (578 LED Bulb - 9 LED Festoon) for dome lights in speaker pods

2 - 921-x12 (921 LED Bulb - 12 Wide Angle LED Mini Wedge Base) for courtesy lights under dash that light the floor when doors are open

1 - WLED-x5 (194 LED Bulb - 5 LED Wide Angle Wedge Base) for automatic shifter. Requires some widening of the stock opening

x=color, for me it was G for green

Super easy mod to do...took about an hour to do all of them.
http://www.wranglerforum.com/attachm...1&d=1364145871

rgroesbeck1 04-12-2013 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DetroitRodeo (Post 3627428)
I have 2006. The dash is not completely put back together, but you'll get an idea. I sanded the orange off of the MPH and RPM needles. Also, I took paint thinner and elbow grease to take off the layer behind the numbers to get a true blue color and not a purplish tint (yes I am a perfectionist lol) You can see the difference it makes in the pics below. Also, the blue is very even, my phone just didn't capture the light correctly...but you can see how much more blue mine looks compared to ones who didn't do this. Just sharing to give ya ideas :)

So since you have a picture of you holding your gauge panel, you obviously pulled all your needles off. How did you line them up to reinstall? I have been thinking about either removing the red or very carefully painting the red portions white so they will really pop. Please advise. Thanks

rgroesbeck1 04-12-2013 08:36 PM

I got all mine from Super Bright LEDs too, very satisfied.

DetroitRodeo 04-12-2013 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgroesbeck1 (Post 3629693)

So since you have a picture of you holding your gauge panel, you obviously pulled all your needles off. How did you line them up to reinstall? I have been thinking about either removing the red or very carefully painting the red portions white so they will really pop. Please advise. Thanks

I sanded the orange off of my MPG and RPM needles. They glue blue now. The best way is to take a picture if the needles with the jeep running. Then just turn the jeep back on when you are done and put them back like your picture shows :)

Rob and TJ 04-12-2013 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DetroitRodeo (Post 3629709)
I sanded the orange off of my MPG and RPM needles. They glue blue now. The best way is to take a picture if the needles with the jeep running. Then just turn the jeep back on when you are done and put them back like your picture shows :)

why not take a picture when the jeep is off and put them back to..zero?

Rob and TJ 04-12-2013 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miked12479 (Post 3629512)
I ordered all from superbrightleds.com

5 - 74-xHP (74 LED Bulb - 1 SMD LED Wedge Base) for Gauge Cluster

6 - NEO4-x (NEOx LED Bulb - Instrument Panel LED) 3 for HVAC controls and 3 for switches under HVAC (Hardtop Wiper, Defroster, and O/D Off)

2 - 4410-x9 (578 LED Bulb - 9 LED Festoon) for dome lights in speaker pods

2 - 921-x12 (921 LED Bulb - 12 Wide Angle LED Mini Wedge Base) for courtesy lights under dash that light the floor when doors are open

1 - WLED-x5 (194 LED Bulb - 5 LED Wide Angle Wedge Base) for automatic shifter. Requires some widening of the stock opening

x=color, for me it was G for green

Super easy mod to do...took about an hour to do all of them.
http://www.wranglerforum.com/attachm...1&d=1364145871

Thanks for posting that...I couldn't find my invoice or my lil pink baggies they come in that I put my originals back in :banghead:

DetroitRodeo 04-12-2013 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob and TJ (Post 3630248)

why not take a picture when the jeep is off and put them back to..zero?

Just the way I've done it and have had no issues

errollins13 04-13-2013 12:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 235431
I went with green looks awesome

Neil F. 04-13-2013 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob and TJ (Post 3630248)
why not take a picture when the jeep is off and put them back to..zero?

Because when the engine if off and the needles are off, the post can rotate past zero. The only time they will actually read is when it is running. I did mine the same way, picture when running. The speedo I put back on while driving and getting the speed off GPS.

n00g7 04-13-2013 11:45 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by miked12479 (Post 3629512)
I ordered all from superbrightleds.com

5 - 74-xHP (74 LED Bulb - 1 SMD LED Wedge Base) for Gauge Cluster

6 - NEO4-x (NEOx LED Bulb - Instrument Panel LED) 3 for HVAC controls and 3 for switches under HVAC (Hardtop Wiper, Defroster, and O/D Off)

2 - 4410-x9 (578 LED Bulb - 9 LED Festoon) for dome lights in speaker pods

2 - 921-x12 (921 LED Bulb - 12 Wide Angle LED Mini Wedge Base) for courtesy lights under dash that light the floor when doors are open

1 - WLED-x5 (194 LED Bulb - 5 LED Wide Angle Wedge Base) for automatic shifter. Requires some widening of the stock opening

x=color, for me it was G for green

Super easy mod to do...took about an hour to do all of them.


Thanks, will have to order this week.

nicodemus 04-16-2013 05:39 PM

Hello!


I'm thinking about taking my gauge needles off my 04 tj and was wondering if performing a reset by holding the trip reset while turning the key would be enough to reset the needles to zero?

I want to go from red to white needles. I don't have a GPS to gauge my mph so I don't want to get stuck with messed up needles. Lol

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this just thought it was relevant to the conversation.

Bigchris66 04-16-2013 06:12 PM

You can get an app to see your mph

nicodemus 04-16-2013 06:14 PM

Oh wow, I should have thought of that. Well that makes me feel a bit better. But anyone know if the gauge reset will fix the needle issue without having to stand on one foot and cross my eyes to get them put back on?

Virus692 04-16-2013 10:17 PM

If you have android torque app would work well with a obd2 bluetooth plug($20 buck on ebay elm327) you can pull the data right from the on board computer

DetroitRodeo 04-16-2013 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicodemus (Post 3645133)
Oh wow, I should have thought of that. Well that makes me feel a bit better. But anyone know if the gauge reset will fix the needle issue without having to stand on one foot and cross my eyes to get them put back on?

I have had my needles off three times. Not a single problem. Honestly, just take a pic, and use the MPH app...everything will be back to normal.

Firehound12 04-16-2013 10:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My fav mod so far
Attachment 237124

nicodemus 04-16-2013 10:30 PM

Thanks for the advice! I'm feeling a bit more confident, just thumbed through the billion page led change thread lol... I'm pretty excited too, going to get my blue CD player, blue dash lights, probably stick with white dome lights, and blue floor lights. Gonna be awesomesauce!

InvisiblePants 04-16-2013 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Virus692 (Post 3646286)
If you have android torque app would work well with a obd2 bluetooth plug($20 buck on ebay elm327) you can pull the data right from the on board computer

If you buy an elm327, get it from newegg. My ebay one came DOA with a "software" disc that was loaded with Trojan keyloggers. I contacted the seller and filed a paypal claim, only to be told to send it back to china before a refund would be issued. It was not worth the trouble or cost to recoup my $17.

But the new one from newegg works great, and i use the tourque android app.


FIREHOUND, looks great! I decided against doing the hvac, but your pic has changed my mind.

Neil F. 04-17-2013 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicodemus (Post 3645133)
Oh wow, I should have thought of that. Well that makes me feel a bit better. But anyone know if the gauge reset will fix the needle issue without having to stand on one foot and cross my eyes to get them put back on?

Like we said above, just take a picture of each one. The gauge check by holding the odometer does not "reset" the needles. If you put them on in the wrong location, they will be off no matter what. The system does not have any knowledge where the needle is actually pointing. The speedo I did have to do a few time while driving to press is on and match the GPS. I've had mine on/off a few times. It's easy.

Note obviously running the engine will heat the water so you be the judge where the temp should be.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:06 AM.