Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   General Jeep Discussion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/)
-   -   The use of 4lo (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/the-use-of-4lo-86176.html)

kinesis 03-24-2011 03:46 AM

The use of 4lo

Hello everbody, just a quick question.
A few months ago I bought an 04 Rubicon. I read the manual through and through but still was a little hesitant to try 4lo. So i took it to the dealer a week ago to have them explain it in person. So the transmission guy comes out and says to hop in the passenger side. He gets on the road (dry pavement) and pops it into 4 high then 4low to show me. Granted, he was going real slow, but I asked him if what he was doing was going to break something. He says "Na' it's okay, these things can take a real beating." Then he pops on the dif locks to show me and I started shitting bricks, man. I was just waiting for something to break because of what the manual said. So we went all the way around the block slowly without nothing notable except a thud bringing it out of 4lo and that was the end of the test. My question is though, if something did break would I have heard and felt it right then or would it be a thing to happen over time? Everything seems okay, maybe I'm just being paranoid. But something didn't sit right with me ever since. Could something have gone wrong and would I have noticed it right away?

jeepjones 03-24-2011 04:58 AM

Honestly, he shouldn't have shown you how the 4x4, low and especially the diff locks work on dry,bare pavement, but you would have definitely noticed if something snapped. Axles and ujoints don't usually go quietly especially under load like it was. Sorry to here the dealership you had to deal with were total morons, I'd find a new dealership if I were you.

jeffk42 03-24-2011 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepjones (Post 1135215)
Honestly, he shouldn't have shown you how the 4x4, low and especially the diff locks work on dry,bare pavement, but you would have definitely noticed if something snapped. Axles and ujoints don't usually go quietly especially under load like it was. Sorry to here the dealership you had to deal with were total morons, I'd find a new dealership if I were you.

Agreed, on all points. Don't listen to that guy, keep the 4WD off the pavement. :)

IslandTJ 03-24-2011 11:37 AM

Congratulations on your Jeep purchase! There's no better way to get to know your Jeep than to take her out and actually wheel.

Our Jeeps are pretty stout, the dealership guy perhaps had good intentions to show you how to use 4wd but was wrong to do it on pavement.

kinesis 03-24-2011 03:20 PM

Thanks everyone. That's why I asked if what he was doing was going to hurt anything. Guess the guys at the dealership never read thier own manuals. It's nice to know though that he didnt screw something up. I should of smacked him for doing that. I just wanted it to be explained. Not to many grassy places in L.A until you go to the mountains though. It's all concrete. Should of just tried it myself up there.