Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Soft Top Issue on my JK (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/soft-top-issue-on-my-jk-86259.html)

eastcoasting32 03-24-2011 06:16 PM

Soft Top Issue on my JK

Just went ahead and removed the hard top and put on the soft top because summer is right around the corner! I have a 2008 4 door Unlimited with both stock tops. So, my problem is that soft top is not fitting in flush with the back doors. There is this gap right where the door is suppose to shut. Does anyone have any help/adivce for this problem? I'll try to get pictures up to help explain the problem I've had.

InfernoGirl 03-24-2011 06:24 PM

Pics will help. Are you talking about the windows or the top itself. If it's the windows you need to clip them into the C channel on the door surrounds.

redz1 03-24-2011 06:38 PM

I agree pics will help. If you're talking about the little gap under where the window and zipper meets, large enough for you to fit your finger through, thats normal.

MTH 03-24-2011 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eastcoasting32 (Post 1136284)
So, my problem is that soft top is not fitting in flush with the back doors. There is this gap right where the door is suppose to shut.

See if this thread addresses how to fix the problem.

eastcoasting32 03-24-2011 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InfernoGirl (Post 1136299)
Pics will help. Are you talking about the windows or the top itself. If it's the windows you need to clip them into the C channel on the door surrounds.

I'll have pictures up by tomorrow or the day after. What is the C channel? Yeah it's not the the actually window but it's those clips that fit right near where the door shuts.

MTH 03-24-2011 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eastcoasting32 (Post 1136366)
Yeah it's not the the actually window but it's those clips that fit right near where the door shuts.

You can forget the pics. This is the answer:

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTH (Post 1136350)
See if this thread addresses how to fix the problem.

redz1 03-24-2011 06:54 PM

Did you not get the door surrounds? If you don't have door surrounds there will be a gap between your door and your soft top.

eastcoasting32 03-24-2011 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTH (Post 1136369)
You can forget the pics. This is the answer:

Yes, this thread is awesome. Thanks for pointing it out.:doh:

eastcoasting32 03-24-2011 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redz1 (Post 1136382)
Did you not get the door surrounds? If you don't have door surrounds there will be a gap between your door and your soft top.

Yeah, I installed the L looking thing that fits above the door. Is their something that goes over the physical door or no? I was thinking no but, still new to everything.

redz1 03-24-2011 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eastcoasting32 (Post 1136421)
Yeah, I installed the L looking thing that fits above the door. Is their something that goes over the physical door or no? I was thinking no but, still new to everything.

No, nothing else.
Did the other post answer your question?

eastcoasting32 04-01-2011 02:15 PM

No, actually it didn't quite solve my problem. To try to explain it more, the problem is where the side of the rear windows meets the door. Is there an area I should be looking for to tuck the window into the side of the door? It flaps and becomes undone at speeds of 55-75mph.

eastcoasting32 04-01-2011 09:26 PM

Bumpppp, someone help me out here.

carsonx4 04-01-2011 10:19 PM

need to make sure that the windows "lock" into the frame right where the door meets..if that makes any sense...similiar to the way the top locks into place...hope that helps..

MTH 04-01-2011 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eastcoasting32
No, actually it didn't quite solve my problem. To try to explain it more, the problem is where the side of the rear windows meets the door. Is there an area I should be looking for to tuck the window into the side of the door? It flaps and becomes undone at speeds of 55-75mph.

I promise the other thread is the answer. Read it more carefully--that's precisely the problem I was having when I started that other thread.

If you still disagree, post pics showing the problem.

JeepJKRiders 04-01-2011 11:39 PM

The L shape bracket you're talking, is the the large L- bracket under the roll bar, or are you referring to the small L- Brackets along the stitching of the vinyl top?

You need the large L- bracket in place, and when they are, there are groove slots along the under edge of the roof top portion of the bracket, then those small L brackets need to be tucked inside the groove slots.. Hope that helps.

Domenico 04-02-2011 07:56 AM

that is a good video, I actually saw that a couple days ago, I admit, I am a little nervous about this new soft top. I figured out the top on my TJ without any help, but when I picked my shiny new 2011 JKU up yesterday after the dealer installed the soft top, the cargo area is full of parts, and attachments, and doo-hicky's.

I am still waiting for a friend to come over and help me remove the hard top, before attempting the soft top. I am confident I can figure out putting the soft top up/down, but all those do-hickey's are what I need to decipher.

eastcoasting32 04-02-2011 10:23 PM

Yeah I took pictures, I've just had a hard time trying to resize the file because it says its too large. Anyways tho, its right when I shut the door the soft top windows don't fit flush because I'm confused on where to tuck it in. Sorry if I'm confusing you haha just new to the soft top and the manual wasn't helpful for me.

eastcoasting32 04-09-2011 07:59 PM

Should I fold the the edge of the window into somewhere on the door frame? Pretty confused so if anyone had a picture of how their soft top windows fit around the doors would help!

MTH 04-09-2011 10:28 PM

1) use Velcro to loosely hold window in place.
2) zip only about 4 inches of zipper.
3) fold the solid strip of the door-side of the window 180 degrees into the channel in the black plastic "door surround" that abuts the door when the window is out. The strip will literally have been folded over such that it wraps around the door surround.
4) zip the rest of the window.
5) pop in the lower edging of the window into the channel along the upper edge of the jeep. This is very much like what was done in step 3.
6) fix the Velcro.
7) admire own handiwork.

Window will be very tight. Nothing flaps in the breeze.

eastcoasting32 04-10-2011 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTH (Post 1168760)
1) use Velcro to loosely hold window in place.
2) zip only about 4 inches of zipper.
3) fold the solid strip of the door-side of the window 180 degrees into the channel in the black plastic "door surround" that abuts the door when the window is out. The strip will literally have been folded over such that it wraps around the door surround.
4) zip the rest of the window.
5) pop in the lower edging of the window into the channel along the upper edge of the jeep. This is very much like what was done in step 3.
6) fix the Velcro.
7) admire own handiwork.

Window will be very tight. Nothing flaps in the breeze.

+2+2+2 best set of instructions!!! Thanks a bunch man that solved my problem! The dealer didn't even fix it but your set of instructions did! Haha I never realized how easy that was:facepalm:

MTH 04-10-2011 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eastcoasting32
+2+2+2 best set of instructions!!! Thanks a bunch man that solved my problem! The dealer didn't even fix it but your set of instructions did! Haha I never realized how easy that was:facepalm:

FINALLY!

Great. See? Simple. Now go enjoy that Jeep. :thumb:

eastcoasting32 04-11-2011 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTH (Post 1170361)
FINALLY!

Great. See? Simple. Now go enjoy that Jeep. :thumb:

MTH my friend, you are the man. Saved me from the most annoying flapping and unwanted breezes flying in from those windows.