Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   well hell, I've got no 4low. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/well-hell-ive-got-no-4low-8644.html)

tiny terror 06-10-2007 07:12 PM

well hell, I've got no 4low.
 
Dang. Here it is.... I have 4hi but no low. Sounds like the teeth or whatever are too short and missing locking in? I'm assuming the motor mount lift screwed up the linkage? Is that the word?

Speak slowly, I'm still learning...

Triple88a 06-10-2007 07:28 PM

Yes.. mml i gues moved it a bit.... does it feel like 2wd engages closer to where 4hi used to engage or does it still engage in the end of the place?

Scotty355 06-10-2007 07:32 PM

sounds like you need to adjust the linkage, I think the body lift is more of the cause, you raised the shifter (attached to tub)
1" higher from the transfer case (attached to frame).

Triple88a 06-10-2007 07:33 PM

Scotty355 the mml pulls the tranny and the tcase forward.. id say the mml is more of the cause :D

When i installed my 2" bl i had to adjust the linkage just a bit and could still get into 4 lo.. just wasnt all the way in there.. it felt like it poped in there but would shift into neutral.. it felt like it was in 3/4 between the N and the 4Lo

Scotty355 06-10-2007 07:34 PM

she also did a body lift recently

tiny terror 06-10-2007 07:37 PM

Wait wait. Yes, I did a body lift (1 1/4) and a motor mount lift (1) last weekend. I didn't check the 4low then, but that's got to be when what ever happened happened.

The shifter doesn't sit level with the console anymore and it touches the top of the console before 4low engages. So, I'm assuming 4low is still there, I just need to adjust something. Is that the linkage?

MR.CLIFFORD 06-10-2007 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triple88a (Post 90351)
Scotty355 the mml pulls the tranny and the tcase forward.. id say the mml is more of the cause :D

When i installed my 2" bl i had to adjust the linkage just a bit and could still get into 4 lo.. just wasnt all the way in there.. it felt like it poped in there but would shift into neutral.. it felt like it was in 3/4 between the N and the 4Lo

If the tranny mount is hooked to the frame how does the transmission and tcase move forward?

Think about it.

Think about it.

I'm going with Scotty on this one. The body lift moves the transfer case lever up which requires a simple adjustment of the linkage. If anything, the MML helps address this problem. But since every jeep is different some require the adjustment.

Scotty355 06-10-2007 07:40 PM

Yes it is tiny, I saw a thread within the past week with instuctions on how to adjust it, I'll look and see if I can find it.

Triple88a 06-10-2007 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MR.CLIFFORD (Post 90354)
If the tranny mount is hooked to the frame how does the transmission and tcase move forward?

Think about it.

Think about it.

I'm thinking about it.. what are those 4 screws for in the middle of the skid? hhhhmmmmmm?

Scotty355 06-10-2007 07:51 PM

about 8 threads down tiny, named transfer case shifting trouble

Triple88a 06-10-2007 07:52 PM

Scotty is that the one? http://www.wranglerforum.com/tj-chat...uble-8575.html

tiny terror 06-10-2007 07:56 PM

Thanks Scotty, that's what it looks like since I noticed the lever isn't where it was. Never occured to me that it would be something simple, usually isn't when I'm involved. So you two, you know who you are, can just leave my tires alone.

jherrin215 06-10-2007 08:05 PM

That would be my thread!! Thanks for posting this Tiny, got me thinking again!! I have to run out there and try to adjust it real quick. I was just sitting here thinking if there was anything that I needed to do to the jeep that wouldn't cost any $$ and that's it!! We will see if I can get it straightened out?!?!

Triple88a 06-10-2007 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiny terror (Post 90367)
Thanks Scotty, that's what it looks like since I noticed the lever isn't where it was. Never occured to me that it would be something simple, usually isn't when I'm involved. So you two, you know who you are, can just leave my tires alone.

:D tires :D hehe .. here on this image you can see the bolt in the background.. it's right in the middle of that rod thats in the lower/left center of the screen

http://www.4x4xplor.com/images/tcase...14_48_full.jpg

again from memory that was 13mm bolt

tiny terror 06-10-2007 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jherrin215 (Post 90368)
That would be my thread!! Thanks for posting this Tiny, got me thinking again!! I have to run out there and try to adjust it real quick. I was just sitting here thinking if there was anything that I needed to do to the jeep that wouldn't cost any $$ and that's it!! We will see if I can get it straightened out?!?!


take some pictures and post if it works!!

And Triple, put an arrow in there!!! I don't know what you're talking about.

activelydying 06-10-2007 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiny terror (Post 90367)
So you two, you know who you are, can just leave my tires alone.

i'm sure whoever it was, they were just trying to push you to find and figure out the problem. ;)

Triple88a 06-10-2007 08:22 PM

Tiny here ya go
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...14_48_full.jpg

tiny terror 06-10-2007 08:26 PM

Thanks. I'm a visual person, I need pictures. :D

MR.CLIFFORD 06-10-2007 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiny terror (Post 90375)
Thanks. I'm a visual person, I need pictures. :D

did you install your drop bracket included in your JKS body lift?

tiny terror 06-10-2007 08:52 PM

No, the instructions said I didn't need to because I was doing a motor mount lift... did I screw up?

MR.CLIFFORD 06-10-2007 08:55 PM

no. Not really. There is a fine line between whether or not I install the drop bracket. I installed the JKS MML/BL combo on Anya's jeep and didn't install the drop bracket because it didn't need it.

Just crawl under there and look at all the linkage stuff. You can get a good idea how the shifter works. I like to pull up on the tcase lever as far as it will go. Loosen the adjuster and move the tcase to full 4lo. Then move the handle where I want it and tighten down the adjuster. I can usually hit it the first time.

Triple88a 06-10-2007 08:56 PM

if the instructions said not to i gues its good then.. funny how if tiny makes a thread.. we got 20 replies in an hour lol

Mr C reply 9? :D

MR.CLIFFORD 06-10-2007 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triple88a (Post 90381)
if the instructions said not to i gues its good then.. funny how if tiny makes a thread.. we got 20 replies in an hour lol

Mr C reply 9? :D

I didn't reply to you because your reply didn't make sense. If you didn't catch my original tone I will go back and emphasize more sarcasm. ;)

jherrin215 06-10-2007 09:06 PM

^ Funny stuff!!
And tiny, my problem was not the linkages needing to be adjusted, it was the drop bracket wasn't tight. I tightened it up when I installed it but it pulled the threads out and would not tighten back up, that's why it was good but now it's bad again. I somehow fit my fat fingers in there and put a nut on each of the bolts and tightened them up and Perfecto, perfect shifting again!! I tried to adjust the linkages but I could not get the rod that goes through the adjusting block to move either way. that was my problem last time as well. But oh well shifts great now!!

Triple88a 06-10-2007 09:06 PM

I gues the "i'm going with scotty" must have thrown me off then :) I know u've done so many things to rigs thats why i'm wondering :)

Jherrin ur having the same problem as i was.. the screw needs to be unscrewed a lot not just loosened.. rust and mud may be in the way also.. wd40 did the trick for me as moving it goes

MR.CLIFFORD 06-10-2007 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triple88a (Post 90385)
I gues the "i'm going with scotty" must have thrown me off then :) I know u've done so many things to rigs thats why i'm wondering :)

Your comment about the drivetrain shifting forward threw me for a loop. My comment about agreeing with Scotty was directed towards the body lift being the culprit. Not the motor mount lift. :D

tiny terror 06-10-2007 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triple88a (Post 90381)
funny how if tiny makes a thread.. we got 20 replies in an hour lol

I ask nice and say thank you.


I'm not quite understand MRC, but I'll get it figured out one way or another. Would it help putting the bracket in there now?

bluvikng 06-10-2007 09:11 PM

Triple88a, don't get smart..........Mr. C has done more with Jeeps, than you will in a life time.

Triple88a 06-10-2007 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triple88a (Post 90351)
Scotty355 the mml pulls the tranny and the tcase forward.. id say the mml is more of the cause :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by MR.CLIFFORD (Post 90386)
Your comment about the drivetrain shifting forward threw me for a loop

what do you mean? When installing a MML the engine moves up so the tranny and the tcase is what moves forward to make up for the height doesn it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluvikng (Post 90388)
Triple88a, don't get smart..........Mr. C has done more with Jeeps, than you will in a life time.

I know that and i'm not trying to get smart agains Mr C here.. I'm simply trying to figure out if i'm right or wrong.

bluvikng 06-10-2007 09:24 PM

All can be solved by the linkage........:D:D:D


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:16 PM.