Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Tractor Supply Tow Hooks (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/tractor-supply-tow-hooks-87016.html)

fonecop1 03-29-2011 08:20 PM

Tractor Supply Tow Hooks
 
I picked up a couple of Tow Hooks at Tractor Supply tonight. When I got ready to mount them they hit those little plastic bumpers that are mounted to the front of the bumper where they stick up. What did you guys do about that? Do you just take those plastic pieces off or put a spacer below the tow hook to raise it up?
Thx,
Bob

TexasT 03-29-2011 08:25 PM

Anything plastic on a Jeep bumper is history.

GoldenSahara00 03-29-2011 08:28 PM

They actualy arent plastic, not on my jeep. they are dense rubber of some type. actually good if your gona smash into some stuff, but I took mine off. its easy but leaves two holes. so

Sblanck 03-29-2011 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasT (Post 1146405)
Anything plastic on a Jeep bumper is history.

:rofl:

Steve Loves Jeeps 03-29-2011 09:34 PM

Just tightening enough will squish em down. I got the same exact hooks on my Jeep and that's what I did. Hope you picked up the grade 8 bolts that are in inch longer to install em.

fonecop1 03-29-2011 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Loves Jeeps (Post 1146596)
Just tightening enough will squish em down. I got the same exact hooks on my Jeep and that's what I did. Hope you picked up the grade 8 bolts that are in inch longer to install em.

That worked, I didn't think of that after seeing above where they were rubber. And yes I went with the grade 8 bolts 2 1/2 inches long. Thanks Guys

Helmsy 03-29-2011 10:03 PM

I just put mine on tonight too. I just took the rubber bumpers off.

marketvending 03-29-2011 10:50 PM

I used a 1/4 and 1/8 steel spacers sandwiched together. It cleared the rubber bumper stops. If I had 3/8 steel I would have just used that. My hooks came from harbor freight.

StinkyMud 03-30-2011 05:52 AM

I cut out the part that the hooks hit. Used a razor blade. Didn't want the squish and split factor later on and wanted to keep the block on the Jeep.

moscoeb 03-30-2011 06:25 AM

I just spaced them up using washers, 2-3 under each bolt.

Sent from my iPhone using WF Access

BLK00TJ 03-30-2011 06:46 AM

I squished mine when I put them on but took them off when I painted my bumper. I think I'm going to put them back on to cover the holes. Too many holes on the stock bumper.

ExcelsiorUnltd 03-30-2011 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLK00TJ (Post 1147034)
I squished mine when I put them on but took them off when I painted my bumper. I think I'm going to put them back on to cover the holes. Too many holes on the stock bumper.

I'm new around here so pardon if this has been answered elsewhere. Also pardon my ignorance, but I looked everywhere around the bumper for a way to get these off, but no luck. I noticed a bolt under it. Is this the right one?

BLK00TJ 03-30-2011 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExcelsiorUnltd (Post 1147136)
I'm new around here so pardon if this has been answered elsewhere. Also pardon my ignorance, but I looked everywhere around the bumper for a way to get these off, but no luck. I noticed a bolt under it. Is this the right one?

The bumper guards are held on by two bolts each. One of the bolts is not accessible without removing the entire bumper since it is hidden by the frame. The bumper has four torx bolts on top and two on the bottom.

ExcelsiorUnltd 03-30-2011 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLK00TJ (Post 1147147)
The bumper guards are held on by two bolts each. One of the bolts is not accessible without removing the entire bumper since it is hidden by the frame. The bumper has four torx bolts on top and two on the bottom.

:wavey: thanks:doh:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:20 AM.