Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Tranny Mount (?) Clunking (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/tranny-mount-clunking-87152.html)

BLEGAN 03-30-2011 04:34 PM

Tranny Mount (?) Clunking
 
I've seen a few threads on it already. I have a clunking on my drivers side floorboard. I've read it is either the tranny mount or the transfer case linkage/mount. I checked my transfer case linkage. everything appears to be ok. there is no play in any of the parts there.. so im lead to believe it is the transmission mount. I'm not sure what it's supposed to look like.. but mine may look a little bit squished/cracked. (a picture of a normal one would help me determine if possible)

I'll take my skid off and check tomorrow if that is the problem.

but! i have a few questions about it.

I also have a vibration when i get over about 55-60 mph upon accelerating. could this also be caused by the tranny mount? It doesn't seem like it, but i guess it's a possibility. my "trusty" mechanic told me it is a driveline vibe.. but i honestly dont think it is as i've had more than half my driveline replaced in the past few weeks.

also... how easy is it to remove and replace the mount? it seems pretty simple.. just remove the skid bolts, mount bolts, and voila?

thanks in advance.

distortedtj 03-30-2011 04:58 PM

Don't even have to remove the skid to do it.

Check it....Jack the transmission up....look from the rear forward at the mount...probally junk.

To replace it.
Take off the 4 little bolts holding it to the skid.
Remove the two bolts holding it to the trans/tcase
jack the trans up.
pull old out.
put new in.
lower transmission and reinstall the 2 upper bolts and 4 lower nuts to the skid.
Done.

It's cake.

BLEGAN 03-30-2011 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by distortedtj (Post 1148165)
Don't even have to remove the skid to do it.

Check it....Jack the transmission up....look from the rear forward at the mount...probally junk.

To replace it.
Take off the 4 little bolts holding it to the skid.
Remove the two bolts holding it to the trans/tcase
jack the trans up.
pull old out.
put new in.
lower transmission and reinstall the 2 upper bolts and 4 lower nuts to the skid.
Done.

It's cake.


oh neat! i wasnt excited to have to fudge around with the skid plate for an hour haha. only one jack so that woulda been a biiiiiotch. thanks for that though! i haven't checked for the sizes of the nuts.. would you happen to know what they are? its cool if you dont hah

distortedtj 03-30-2011 05:20 PM

13 and 15 mm

BLEGAN 03-30-2011 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by distortedtj (Post 1148212)
13 and 15 mm

thanks that'll help a lot! wont have to go searchin :p

distortedtj 03-30-2011 05:35 PM

If you look at the bottom of your trans/tcase skid you will see the 4 nuts you need to remove.

Just in front of those nuts you will see 4 oval shaped wholes ...you can see the tran mount bolts to the trans through the holes. ;)

BLEGAN 03-30-2011 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by distortedtj (Post 1148231)
If you look at the bottom of your trans/tcase skid you will see the 4 nuts you need to remove.

Just in front of those nuts you will see 4 oval shaped wholes ...you can see the tran mount bolts to the trans through the holes. ;)

wouldnt it be kinda hard to access those bolts without removing the skid??

distortedtj 03-31-2011 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLEGAN (Post 1148249)
wouldnt it be kinda hard to access those bolts without removing the skid??

Not if you jack the transmission up. Done it many times. ;)

remove the 4 nuts.....jack trans up....and remove the bolts on the transmount.

geiman 03-31-2011 02:56 PM

As far as whether its the transfer case linkage or transmission mount, my TCL knocking could be stopped by lifting slightly on the transfer case shifter. The transmission mount knocking happened no matter what for me.

BLEGAN 03-31-2011 09:55 PM

the deed is done! First actual mechanic type work I've done on my jeep and I feel really good about it. I did end up taking the skid plate off.. And I shouldn't have.. Took so much work to get it back on. no more clunking and slightly less vibes on the road.

I dont own a torque wrench so.. I hope I didn't under or over torque anything. I'll check to make sure everything is tight tomorrow but I'm afraid to over tighten anything..

And distorted what do you lift the trans with? The oil pan??

rockhard98 03-31-2011 10:09 PM

You can use the tranny pan, just put a board between the jack and the tranny first

BLEGAN 03-31-2011 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockhard98
You can use the tranny pan, just put a board between the jack and the tranny first

that's what I ended up doing. I first lifted it with the oil pan then once I had the skid off I lifted the tranny itself. I didn't feel safe using the oil pan

rockhard98 03-31-2011 11:44 PM

Yeah can use the oil pan to brace it.. think I used the transfer case. Can't remember, it was a over year ago last time I had to drop mine... when I did the lift my transfer case didn't seal up after putting the SYE in, so had to take it back apart to reseal it

distortedtj 04-01-2011 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLEGAN (Post 1150934)
And distorted what do you lift the trans with? The oil pan??

The transmission. I don't ever use the oil pan. Your's is a manual trans....just put the jack on the bell housing and start jacking after the 4 nuts are removed from the skid plate. Lifts right up.

BLEGAN 04-01-2011 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by distortedtj

The transmission. I don't ever use the oil pan. Your's is a manual trans....just put the jack on the bell housing and start jacking after the 4 nuts are removed from the skid plate. Lifts right up.

that's what I ended up doing. It felt much safer

geiman 04-01-2011 09:47 AM

You'll be fine without a torque wrench, just be sure to not over tighten the four nuts for the mount that go through the skid plate. Those bolts have a tendency to break loose at the other end, and the whole thing will just spin. Ask me how I know.... Luckily there is a warranty so it was replaced for free, but it was a pain getting the nut off that bolt that just kept spinning, and I couldn't get my angle grinder close enough to cut the dumb thing off. I really need to fix my dremel.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:48 AM.