Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   California Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f55/)
-   -   Big Bear May (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f55/big-bear-may-87274.html)

BeantownR6 03-31-2011 11:14 AM

Big Bear May

Does anyone want to hit up Big Bear in May? I know there is the July or August Meet and Greet in the works. I wanted to do a Monache Meadows trip this same time but from all the snow up there its probably not going to be open so I am thinking Big Bear. I went camping there the weekend before memorial day last year and the weather was great....but it did snow on sunday morning when we got up lol. Probably go that same weekend or perhaps memorial day weekend. Not thinking of doing john bull, but there are lots of other trails to do. Ive never been but i do have the guide book.

turdhurdler 03-31-2011 06:09 PM

I am very interested in a Big Bear run. Memorial weekend I believe that the Inland Empire 4 Wheelers have a annual run so it will probably be very busy up there. My Jeep is not ready for John Bull either, but Gold Mtn is a blast. I also would like to try White Mtn.

Jeff

BeantownR6 03-31-2011 06:58 PM

then the weekend before would be better. i was looking at the trails in the book i have and there are lots to choose from so anything is good, save john bull for july-aug. when i went last year the hanna flats campground was empty too so i wouldn't worry about reservations.

JYJeep 03-31-2011 07:03 PM

Turd,
I may be around that weekend. will be close with the ship schedule. Will keep an eye on this if it develops and try to go up.

Cons_Table 03-31-2011 07:07 PM

What about dishpan? I heard dave (530ktm) bring that up at the M&G. Maybe that is a trail worth looking into.

turdhurdler 03-31-2011 09:56 PM

Dishpan is very black diamond. You may be good for it if you choose. There are washing maching sized bolders there to go over. I have gone thru it on a mtn bike and dirt bike, but not my Jeep.

Jeff

Cons_Table 03-31-2011 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turdhurdler
Dishpan is very black diamond. You may be good for it if you choose. There are washing maching sized bolders there to go over. I have gone thru it on a mtn bike and dirt bike, but not my Jeep.

Jeff

Oh interesting! Sounds like it may be A possible choice for one of the groups if we decide to split up. I am hoping to get at least one locker in before the big bear trip :thumb:

turdhurdler 03-31-2011 10:15 PM

Dishpan is fun, but yes, you will need at least one locker.

Jeff

Cons_Table 03-31-2011 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turdhurdler

Jeff

I'll just run with a strap on the front ;) jk

turdhurdler 03-31-2011 10:29 PM

Haha. Just put a hook on your hood in case you need a tug. Someone will get you over that rock. Ripped sheet metal and all.

Jeff

yomondo 04-01-2011 01:06 AM

A friend of mine did dishpan in a bone stock JK X (street tires, no lift, no lockers) on his very first offroading trip, and never needed a tug.

mtbikbob 04-01-2011 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yomondo (Post 1151347)
A friend of mine did dishpan in a bone stock JK X (street tires, no lift, no lockers) on his very first offroading trip, and never needed a tug.

Dishpan has one hill that gives it a difficult rating, the rest of the trail is fun and articulating. The one rock formation changes dramatically every year, I think. Climbing it stock...hmmm, never needed a tug? hmmmm...... Well goes to show ya, I guess.

530ktm 04-01-2011 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yomondo (Post 1151347)

I find it rather incredible that this was done in a stock Jeep with no lift, no lockers and running street tires. :eek: I have done it and I had no problems but as mentioned above, there are large rocks and waterfall type ledges to get up and over and I would have never attempted to do this if my Jeep was not equipped the way it is. Even the very beginning of the trail is somewhat tricky and then you get to the waterfall part. The rest is easy driving. What technical sections we did last weekend are rather simple compared to Dishpan.

530ktm 04-01-2011 12:14 PM

Back to the topic, if you are going to make the weekend of the 21st a trip up to that area, I would be up for a day trip and meet up with you since it is only an hour or so from my house. :thumb:

KRawson 04-01-2011 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turdhurdler (Post 1151108)

Jeff

All you need is a good spotter. I have been through dishpan a few times with open diffs and my friends lj open aswell.

To the OP. Gold mountain is a good trail. And jacoby canyon is a simple trail.

KRawson 04-01-2011 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeantownR6 (Post 1149759)
Does anyone want to hit up Big Bear in May? I know there is the July or August Meet and Greet in the works. I wanted to do a Monache Meadows trip this same time but from all the snow up there its probably not going to be open so I am thinking Big Bear. I went camping there the weekend before memorial day last year and the weather was great....but it did snow on sunday morning when we got up lol. Probably go that same weekend or perhaps memorial day weekend. Not thinking of doing john bull, but there are lots of other trails to do. Ive never been but i do have the guide book.

Count me in. I'm sure I could find a few more ppl to go aswell.

BeantownR6 04-01-2011 12:52 PM

great sounds like we have some interest. its almost 2 months away so plenty of time.

weekend of the 21st - Hanna Flats Campground

Going
1. Beantown (Camping)
2. 530 KTM (day trip)
3. KRawson

Maybee
1. Turdhurler

JYJeep 04-01-2011 01:34 PM

Maybe: JYJeep (camping w/ tent trailer)

yomondo 04-01-2011 05:24 PM

I'll have to see how I feel after returning from Moab. Six consecutive days (and possibly a night or two on top of that) of offroading might have me petered out for a while.

BeantownR6 04-01-2011 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yomondo (Post 1152510)
I'll have to see how I feel after returning from Moab. Six consecutive days (and possibly a night or two on top of that) of offroading might have me petered out for a while.

Petered out, never though i would hear that from you :doh:

Coronatj 04-01-2011 08:38 PM

Put me down as a maybe. Depending on my travel schedule (work) I could be up for a day trip. Would like to know for sure what trails you are thinking about.

BeantownR6 04-01-2011 09:02 PM

Going
1. Beantown (Camping)
2. 530 KTM (day trip)
3. KRawson

Maybee
1. Turdhurler
2. JyJeep
3. Coronatj

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coronatj (Post 1152780)
Put me down as a maybe. Depending on my travel schedule (work) I could be up for a day trip. Would like to know for sure what trails you are thinking about.

we haven't figured out the trails but dishpan seems to be the talk of the town

Coronatj 04-01-2011 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeantownR6 (Post 1152833)
Going
1. Beantown (Camping)
2. 530 KTM (day trip)
3. KRawson

Maybee
1. Turdhurler
2. JyJeep
3. Coronatj

we haven't figured out the trails but dishpan seems to be the talk of the town

k. Just so you guys know, I'm new to wheeling, so if you have the patience, I have the jeep.

BeantownR6 04-01-2011 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coronatj (Post 1152839)
k. Just so you guys know, I'm new to wheeling, so if you have the patience, I have the jeep.

Ive never been to the trails at big bear, but the other guys have. tell us about your jeep and the others can probably tell you if you can make it through easy or need a tug etc.

don't worry about slowing anyone up, we can all help you on the trail

Coronatj 04-01-2011 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeantownR6 (Post 1152878)
Ive never been to the trails at big bear, but the other guys have. tell us about your jeep and the others can probably tell you if you can make it through easy or need a tug etc.

don't worry about slowing anyone up, we can all help you on the trail

33's on a 4 inch lift. Lockers front and rear.

BeantownR6 04-01-2011 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coronatj (Post 1152906)
33's on a 4 inch lift. Lockers front and rear.

you won't have any problems :punk:

Coronatj 04-01-2011 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeantownR6 (Post 1152921)
you won't have any problems :punk:

Ha....I think that in my case the jeep is more capable than the driver...:D

mJUSTINm 04-02-2011 01:32 AM

Kyle (KRawson) told me about this trip. I might be up for a day/over night trip.

As far as trails are concerned, Big Bear has enough for everyone. Dishpan is definitely DOABLE with a stock rig, but you will most likely need a tug if going west>east. Running it east>west will put you downhill at the waterfall section, and with a good spotter anyone can get through it. Very fun trail, and if you want there's a really nice side trail that takes you to a somewhat secluded area called Devil's hole.

Gold Mountain has one tough spot for a stock/smaller rig. The rest is fairly easy. I wouldn't suggest a stock size rig doing it unless you have a locker. Beautiful 360 degree view at the summit of Gold Mountain as well.

White Mountain is somewhat easy, but loooong. I ran it when my LJ was stock on 30" BFG All Terrains. I also got my buddy's new Tacoma on 30" All Terrains through it fine. I did NOT run it the full length though, we started the trail passed the black diamond section so I can't speak for how that is. Plan on making that trail a day run. We took it from Holcomb Valley Road in Big Bear allllll the way to Apple Valley. It was fun but not difficult. The only "hard" part is steep, loose, somewhat rocky hills.

John Bull, I cannot wait to run this trail. I haven't done it in my Jeep but I'm itching to. Stock sized rigs can get through with good driving/spotting and a locker. I wouldn't recommend it though. I'll be running this trail for sure, and I'm open and on 33s.

Jacoby Canyon is easy peasy. Anyone with a 4x4 could do it. I've ran it in half an hour. It's a fun trail for newcomers, and a nice relaxing drive while still being bumpy enough to be fun!

Just for the record, I drive an LJ with a Currie 4" lift, front antirock, 33" tires, and open diffs. Hope this helps! If need be I could lead a couple trails. That's always fun!

mJUSTINm 04-02-2011 01:36 AM

Wow. Didn't realize how much that was as I was typing it! There's a ton more trails we could do, but I thought I'd touch on the ones that have been mentioned so far.

BeantownR6 04-02-2011 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coronatj (Post 1153015)
Ha....I think that in my case the jeep is more capable than the driver...:D

have you been off road much? as long as there is a good spotter you will be good. the meet and greet we just did had a few people that never had been off road and we did some gnarly stuff. i don't do much spotting but the other guys are pretty good.