Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Does the front drive shaft rotate in 2H? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/does-the-front-drive-shaft-rotate-in-2h-8732.html)

SinCity01'TJ 06-13-2007 10:25 PM

Does the front drive shaft rotate in 2H?

I have never paid attention to it. I just recently pu in a 4" lift and I dropped the transfer case, I know no SYE yet..can't afford it yet. I am wondering if it rotates all the time or only when you shift into 4H&4L. I am having a popping noise coming from the front wheels when I turn, I just went wheeling this weekend and just now noticed the noise. Any help will be appreciated. If you need more info let me know.

John

AzTJ 06-13-2007 11:19 PM

Is the poping only when you turn? Might have something loose up front. Did you happen to install a new tac bar with the lift? Might wanna check it over to see if it worked loose.

Rockodile 06-13-2007 11:55 PM

My understanding of this is that any vehicle without hubs will cause the front DS to rotate if it has a limited slip. No the T-case is not engaged but because the front Diff is engaged all the time 9do to the lack of hubs) the DS will turn and freewheel.

1BLKJP 06-14-2007 01:11 AM

The front Dshaft on our TJ's will spin in 2WD no matter if you have a LS, locker, or open diff.

jeeperman 06-14-2007 05:30 AM

What wheels do you have on with your bigger tires? You may not have enough backspacing. If it only happens when you turn, it sounds like you may be rubbing your tires on the control arms.

mrbigjeep 06-14-2007 09:18 AM

if he's rubbing his control arms then he has too much backspacing.

compshooter 06-14-2007 02:39 PM

Backspacing:

Higher number=wheels under jeep, higher BS moves wheels to middle of jeep.

Lower number=opposite of above, lower moves wheels out from jeep.

mrbigjeep 06-14-2007 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by compshooter (Post 91757)
Backspacing:

Higher number=wheels under jeep, higher BS moves wheels to middle of jeep.

Lower number=opposite of above, lower moves wheels out from jeep.

exactly why i said he needs less backspacing if he's rubbing the CA's.

SinCity01'TJ 06-14-2007 09:38 PM

I have 4 inch's of BS. There is no rubbing, I have plenty of room under there. I believe the popping is coming from the passenger side ball joint(upper).

Rockodile 06-14-2007 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SinCity01'TJ (Post 91963)
I have 4 inch's of BS. There is no rubbing, I have plenty of room under there. I believe the popping is coming from the passenger side ball joint(upper).

OK take your front end and use a jack to place it on stands with 2-3" of clearance between the tires and the ground or do this one side at a time with just the jack. Take a long pry bar or something long and metalic that will not bend and will fit under and give you leverage. With someone watching the ball joint in question lift up on the pry bar and release (up and down) if any movement is noticed then you have a bad Ball Joint. Also you can stick a hand at twelve O'clock and one at six O'clock and trie and jiggle the wheel from top to bottom. ANY mocvement at all is bad.

Hope this helps out!!:D