Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Extended Warranty (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/extended-warranty-87321.html)

Average American 03-31-2011 05:11 PM

Extended Warranty

UNITED WARRANTY WHOLESALERS

My policy was paid in full and still has active coverage on it. For the last two months this company has been hounding me to renew this policy as it ends in about 17,000 miles.

I purchased this extended warranty over the phone and paid for it at that time (over the phone). Without having the actual written warranty in front of me. The salesman said "it covers all internally lubricated parts". Well I just filed a claim on an internally lubricated part of the transmission and they denied it saying it was caused by a non-covered part, the throw out bearing. After an hour of arguing with a “claims adjuster” over this issue I realized they intended to do nothing. At the same time I informed the claims adjuster that I replaced the water pump myself not realizing it was a "covered" part. When I asked how I can get reimbursed for that part the claims adjuster said I could not as I was "not authorized to make that repair nor was I a certified mechanic".

I then asked a hypothetical question that if I was driving and a rock flew up and cracked my transmission case and the fluid leaked out would it be covered and the answer was "NO, it was caused by the rock". I then asked "is there anyway I could ever file a successful claim under this warranty?" And the claims adjuster then suggested he could very easily send an inspector to the shop to document any modifications to my 8 year old jeep so he could void the policy!

I feel I was sold this policy in a deceptive manor, a true bait and switch! Do not ever buy an extended warranty for a Jeep they will never honor it! You are much better off saving up 2 or 3k to make repairs as needed, that way your money never expires like a warranty until you use it but even then you get something for it. An Extended Warranty for a Jeep is just throwing money away! :facepalm:

GoldenSahara00 03-31-2011 05:27 PM

Thats very true. usually they do give you alot of hassle. call back and threaten a law suit. you dont even have to go through with it, but just saying it might make them give in. We did this when my brother blew high engine in his toyota celica. Had an extended 3rd party warranty and they gave us crap and denied it. we said we have a very good attorney who would speak with them and he got the new engine. hahaha

pokey 03-31-2011 05:32 PM

Extended warranties almost never pay for themselves.

FWIW the throwout bearing is external to the transmission.

Jp90Talon 03-31-2011 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokey (Post 1150454)
Extended warranties almost never pay for themselves.

FWIW the throwout bearing is external to the transmission.

TOBs and clutches are considered wear and tear items as well.

Dewry636 03-31-2011 06:24 PM

The throwout bearing is not internally lubricated... it is a part of the clutch.

rockhard98 03-31-2011 06:27 PM

gotta watch a lot of warranties, always read the small print a lot of them don't cover bearing and seals, I found out the hard way

exboomer 03-31-2011 07:10 PM

Those aftermarket warranties, mechanical breakdown coverage policies are a waste of money. Most all of them will not cover the clutch assembly (throw out bearing) anyway. But even if you have a problem that 'is' covered under terms of the contract, they could and would probably deny the claim due to your Jeep being modified (lifted, having oversize tires, etc) or you not being able to provide proof of maintenence. Salesmen will tell you anything to make the sale...

Ektarr 03-31-2011 07:34 PM

First off, Warranty Companies are Insurance Companies, and Insurance companies are not in business to lose money. Their income is derived from your premiums, and the more of that they can keep, the better off they are.

That said, an aftermarket warranty CAN be a lifesaver! I've seen it firsthand (I'm a Service Advisor for a GM store)...I've seen them cover items I thought would be a definite no-go, and I've seen them deny claims I thought were sure things! There's no telling, sometimes. Usually they won't cover "wear" items (clutch components, brakes, belts, hoses, etc.), unless it's caused by a covered loss (brake caliper craps out and takes the pads with it...caliper and pads might be covered. -OR- Water pump disintegrates taking out the belt...pump and belt are probably both covered). Having a modified vehicle doesn't work in your favor, especially if they send out an adjuster to look it over.

On the other hand, if you don't have any problems (or covered issues) with the vehicle, the cost of the policy was a waste.

All insurance - extended warranties included - are a crap shoot and a gamble. Obviously, some are better than others. If you need them (trans failure, engine dies) they can be worth their weight in gold. If you don't, then you wasted money on what could have been a really nice set of new tires!

Either way, you've got to decide for yourself. Good luck.