Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Cold air intake (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/cold-air-intake-87379.html)

Bladerunner32262 03-31-2011 11:08 PM

Cold air intake

If u install a cold air intake, is it best to follow it up with a new exhaust, headers, etc? Or does the CAI do the job it's supposed to without it?

Thebandit1980 03-31-2011 11:15 PM

Cai doesn't really accomplish anything at all usually. Where is the air filter in your setup? Usually a factory airbox draws fresh air from outside the engine bay and most cai kits just draw in the hot engine bay air which makes them less efficient than a factory setup.

trentsjk 03-31-2011 11:30 PM

Its all opinion, I took out my stock air box and put an AFE CAI in and love it, every thing else is still stock.

Bladerunner32262 04-01-2011 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thebandit1980
Cai doesn't really accomplish anything at all usually. Where is the air filter in your setup? Usually a factory airbox draws fresh air from outside the engine bay and most cai kits just draw in the hot engine bay air which makes them less efficient than a factory setup.

I just have a K&N in the stock air box. Just didn't want to buy a CAI and then find out it's useless unless I upgrade the exhaust, headers, and whatever else.

Bladerunner32262 04-01-2011 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trentsjk
Its all opinion, I took out my stock air box and put an AFE CAI in and love it, every thing else is still stock.

What do u love about it?

MTH 04-01-2011 09:03 AM

Run a "titles only" search in the JK section for "intake". You'll find dozens of threads on CAIs. They are not particularly well-loved.

They make a big difference in sound and an itty-bitty difference in performance. That's it. My guess would be they add maybe 3 hp at usable RPMs. You've got to balance that against their cost and any potential impact on your engine.

I suppose more would be accomplished by doing intake + viper throttle body + headers + exhaust, though I don't know how much. I saw a guy on another forum who did intake + headers + exhaust and got 9 more hp on dyno runs. That's 9 more hp and better sound for about $2300 worth of gear, assuming you install it yourself. Worth it?

GDZJEEP 04-01-2011 09:26 AM

A low temp thermostat should be installed also when you put a cold air intake on. I've had mine for years and I love it.

jgorm 04-01-2011 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GDZJEEP (Post 1151663)
A low temp thermostat should be installed also when you put a cold air intake on. I've had mine for years and I love it.

Why is that? I would only install a lower temp thermostat if I strapped on a blower. I did 18 dyno pulls on the 4.0 and made 0 hp with my CAI. I would expect similar results, and I'll even give free dyno pulls to someone with a JK that has a new CAI to do before and after dyno tests (we have to install the cai at my shop)
Jeep Wrangler 18 dyno pulls for CAI testing - Trick Tuners Forums

trentsjk 04-01-2011 10:11 AM

Thats a very nice offer, to bad I live in Omaha LOL. One its gives the jeep a very nice sound, I also got better mpg, and I could tell when I got on it the power was up. and to test this I did get a guy with the same jeep as mine gears, wheels tires, soft top- ok and we raced them, I pulled a way every time. I have 35's on now and it needs gears, but I still get by, not as quick, but it sure does sound good.

Hilldweller 04-01-2011 10:39 AM

There ya go.
Butt dyno and a drag race. CAI got some street kred now, yo.

krutj 04-01-2011 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hilldweller (Post 1151811)
There ya go.
Butt dyno and a drag race. CAI got some street kred now, yo.

You are a pistol Bro...I actually laughed out loud at this...

YO...:punk:

GDZJEEP 04-02-2011 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgorm (Post 1151681)
Why is that? I would only install a lower temp thermostat if I strapped on a blower. I did 18 dyno pulls on the 4.0 and made 0 hp with my CAI. I would expect similar results, and I'll even give free dyno pulls to someone with a JK that has a new CAI to do before and after dyno tests (we have to install the cai at my shop)
Jeep Wrangler 18 dyno pulls for CAI testing - Trick Tuners Forums

Low-Temp Thermostats increase horsepower and control engine temp by consistently metering water flow throughout the engine instead of simply cycling open/close, which in OE units creates temperature spikes.