Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Dang It!!!! vibes a-freaking-gain... (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/dang-it-vibes-a-freaking-gain-8742.html)

tiny terror 06-14-2007 09:49 AM

Dang It!!!! vibes a-freaking-gain...

Ok. Everything was smooth as silk, then I stupidly decided to take off the t-case drop because I'd forgotten to do it when I installed the MML. I didn't want to leave it because I was worried it would cause problems.

Is it ok that I put it back? I only drove it for a week before I had the time to take the drop off and now the vibes are actually worse than they were before. What's the deal? I only put on a two inch BB.

MR.CLIFFORD 06-14-2007 09:51 AM

I think your best bet is to bring your jeep to Kansas and I will fix it for you. I will even do it for free.

For real... where are the vibes now? Explain it out.

tiny terror 06-14-2007 09:58 AM

They're the whump whump, start at a lower speed and last for longer. They're audible and I feel them through my feet. If I take my foot off the gas when they start they stop and it takes a few moments of gas for them to start up again..... hmmm.... what else.... they're from around 40 to around 65. Oh, and they're more noticable when the back seat is out.

Maybe I should rotate my tires?

MR.CLIFFORD 06-14-2007 10:00 AM

Do you still have your stock wheels and tires? Toss them on and take it for a spin. That is an easy way to determine that your wheels and tires are not the problem.

tiny terror 06-14-2007 10:03 AM

No, I don't. They're long gone. :(

MR.CLIFFORD 06-14-2007 10:05 AM

hmmm. Anyone around there you can borrow a set from? Reason being, I have never had any luck with black steel wheels. Not once have I ever owned a set that a couple were not out of round. It also makes it harder to balance the tires.

What about your alignment? Do you have a computer printout of your alignment specs?

Have you done the steering wheel trick to see if anything is moving in the front suspension?

tiny terror 06-14-2007 10:08 AM

No, I guess I should have them aligned by people who know what they're doing, huh? I've done it myself up til now.

And I don't know of anyone I could borrow any wheels from...

MR.CLIFFORD 06-14-2007 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiny terror (Post 91672)
No, I guess I should have them aligned by people who know what they're doing, huh? I've done it myself up til now.

For peace of mind it is an inexpensive 55 dollar investment. Be SURE to go to some place that has computer alignments that can give you a printout. Be sure you tell them you want the printout before they do the alignment.

And honestly, for as much as you change lifts, I'd suggest going somewhere with a life time alignment option. :wavey:

tiny terror 06-14-2007 01:45 PM

So I'm guessing you don't think I should just drop the t-case back down?

(change lifts??)

MR.CLIFFORD 06-14-2007 01:52 PM

Not with a budget boost and motor mount lift. I would lean more towards something else being wrong. If you had to drop the tcase with that setup it would be the first time I've ever heard of it. Not saying that you won't be the exception to the rule cause there is always one but it is very uncommon for this to occur.

compshooter 06-14-2007 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiny terror (Post 91672)

Tiny,

Come up to 29 and you can borrow mine. If that doesn't solve the problem, we can figure out what the problem is and fix it.

I've got the BB and no t-case drop, no vibes either.

Triple88a 06-14-2007 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MR.CLIFFORD (Post 91653)
where are the vibes now?

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w...5/crylaugh.gif

tiny terror 06-14-2007 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by compshooter (Post 91759)
Tiny,

Come up to 29 and you can borrow mine. If that doesn't solve the problem, we can figure out what the problem is and fix it.

I've got the BB and no t-case drop, no vibes either.

Argghhhh!!!! Cccccccccccrap! No vibes?? How's that fair? :D If you've got the time Comp, I'd like to. Can't seem to fix it myself as much as I've tinkered and fooled and messed around in the damn thing. I'm starting to hate it.

1BLKJP 06-14-2007 05:55 PM

I've got to agree with Andy on this one. :D I've never seen a BB cause the vibrations you are describing. Even without a MML.

AzTJ 06-14-2007 06:10 PM

Could it be those stiffer Rubi Coils that she has that tossed it up a bit higher to cuase the vibes?

tiny terror 06-14-2007 06:13 PM

Oh God!!! Don't mention the Rubi coils, you'll attract BigJeep :D

AzTJ 06-14-2007 06:15 PM

lol I know... but atleast you understand what I'm saying though right?

tiny terror 06-14-2007 06:16 PM

Yeah, but it's freaky that there were no vibes when the t-case had three stinking washers in it.

AzTJ 06-14-2007 06:19 PM

it could have been that one or two degrees that changed it. These stupid slip yokes are funky like that. I had added 2 or 3 degree shims on the rear axle of my XJ to rid myself of vibes in that thing and it has 4" lift... but it has a different style slip yoke than our TJ's

tiny terror 06-14-2007 06:27 PM

I'm pretty frustrated right now, getting to the point that I don't give a crap anymore... damn.

1BLKJP 06-14-2007 06:36 PM

It sure does sound like Dshaft vibe though. Get under there and wiggle your dshaft. It shouldn't be able to move up/down or side/side. There will be a little residual rotation that is fine. Thinking maybe a prematurely fried ujoint.

tiny terror 06-14-2007 06:44 PM

Nope, the drive shaft is nice and tight.

1BLKJP 06-14-2007 06:48 PM

suck

JCS05Rubi 06-14-2007 07:29 PM

Tires. Has to be. That simply ISNT enough lift to create angles that bad. U-Joints or tires. She said U-Joints were good, get 'yer ass down to 29 palms and let the Marines handle it for ya :p

activelydying 06-14-2007 07:44 PM

what kind of shovel did ya get?

JCS05Rubi 06-14-2007 07:45 PM

A 4 foot rusty and trusty shovel from my garage.

FREEEEEBBBBIIIEEEE! :D

Put it in the stock shovel mount. Took 2 minutes :D

activelydying 06-14-2007 07:46 PM

sweet :D

tiny terror 06-14-2007 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCS05Rubi (Post 91920)
Tires. Has to be. That simply ISNT enough lift to create angles that bad. U-Joints or tires. She said U-Joints were good, get 'yer ass down to 29 palms and let the Marines handle it for ya :p

How come when you guys get together and wrench, it's just getting together, but when I'm looking for help I'm going to "let the Marines handle it for" me? Hmmmmmm???? :p :D

(I refuse to admit defeat, I'm just pissed and frustrated)

Triple88a 06-14-2007 10:13 PM

so tiny you didnt have any vibes with the mml and the tranny drop but now you removed the tranny drop and your vibes are going crazy? Install the washers back then. Cant you use/adjust the cams or whatever they are called to get rid of the vibes also?

AzTJ 06-15-2007 12:43 AM

Cams? WTH are you talking about? :confused: