Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Smittybilt Grab Handles - Save your money! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/smittybilt-grab-handles-save-your-money-87497.html)

redz1 04-01-2011 06:03 PM

Smittybilt Grab Handles - Save your money!

I just got the Smittybilt Extreme Grab Handles

Amazon.com: Smittybilt 769310 Extreme Black Sport Handle: Automotive

Don't be fooled by the picture. The stitching on my handles are already coming off and I haven't even grabbed them yet, they tore apart during install. The velcro frayed the hoops that attach the handle to the velcro so it looks torn apart.

On top of that, one grab on these handles and they come apart.

What's worse is the rough part of the velcro is facing your roll bar, so when you pull on it and it comes apart, it grabs onto your roll bar padding and frays that too.
:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Im calling Smittybilt and asking for a replacement.

daggo66 04-01-2011 06:08 PM

Raingler grips are the way to go.

Domenico 04-01-2011 06:13 PM

$3.75 each

https://www.strapworks.com/SearchRes...x=0&Search.y=0

Plasti-Dip the ends, add a grommet, spray paint grommet, remove speaker bar screws, feed through, re-attach screws, done.

I haven't installed the front ones yet, but those go from the pillar to the visor screws.

I do not take credit for this, I found a how-to on a different wrangler forum, :hide: not sure if there is one somewhere here.

redz1 04-01-2011 06:13 PM

for 15.99 I thought I found a steal.

On a side note, I just called Smittybilt and they're sending me a new pair right now.

So: GREAT customer service. :thumb:

However, I think my grab handles were also sewn together upside down, because the smittybilt logo is upside down. But that's just a theory, unless they wanted their logo upside down.

banditman 04-01-2011 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redz1 (Post 1152583)

On a side note, I just called Smittybilt and they're sending me a new pair right now.

However, I think my grab handles were also sewn together upside down, because the smittybilt logo is upside down. But that's just a theory, unless they wanted their logo upside down.

Would they be upside down if you switched them from one side to the other?

Schmo 04-01-2011 07:58 PM

Sounds to me like you should have asked for a refund instead of a replacement.

redz1 04-01-2011 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by banditman (Post 1152694)
Would they be upside down if you switched them from one side to the other?

Nope I tried that, its upside down, not backwards

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schmo (Post 1152718)
Sounds to me like you should have asked for a refund instead of a replacement.

Customer service was so nice about it, I was beginning to hope maybe I got a fluke pair

Rufus T. Firefly 04-01-2011 10:36 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I had a pair in my Amazon cart from two days ago that I hadn't bought yet. I just removed them.

snax 04-01-2011 10:40 PM

These are awesome & $32.94 for a pair

Amazon.com: Rugged Ridge 13505.04 Ultimate Black Grab Handle for CJ Jeep and Wrangler 1955-2010 - Pair: Automotive

redz1 04-01-2011 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rufus T. Firefly (Post 1152967)
Thanks for the heads up. I had a pair in my Amazon cart from two days ago that I hadn't bought yet. I just removed them.

Glad I can help. Thats what the forum's for, aye?

Quote:

Originally Posted by snax (Post 1152977)

$32 vs $15... you can see why my first choice WAS smittybilt

H2_recoveryteam 04-02-2011 02:04 AM

I have the same smitty ones and they fit an work great. Mabe u were right u got a fluke pair. Mine get alot of use and are holdin up good. Just incase anyone is still think of gettin them.

sheetsd66 04-02-2011 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66 (Post 1152575)
Raingler grips are the way to go.

I agree. I wish I had a 6-door so I could add another set!

ghendrix6 04-02-2011 05:56 AM

I have the exact same set of Smittybilt's and mine work great.

redz1 04-02-2011 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghendrix6 (Post 1153320)
I have the exact same set of Smittybilt's and mine work great.

Thats a relief. At least I know the new ones coming in are going to be alright

BLEGAN 04-02-2011 01:36 PM

those look painful. theyre so close together. i've got some rugged ridge grab handles on my roll bar.. but only because my dad put them in there before it was mine. i would not have spent money haha. but the RR ones are nice. been on there for 5 years.

ZOMB1E 04-02-2011 01:58 PM

I have the Smittybilt grab handles front and back, and I'm completely happy with them.

redz1 04-02-2011 02:00 PM

Can you guys that say you have the Smittybilt grab handles explain one thing to me... When you installed them, was the Smittybilt nametag upside down?

I'm trying to figure out why they fit so strangely... and why the tag is upside down.

ZOMB1E 04-02-2011 02:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Yes its upside down.

redz1 04-02-2011 04:04 PM

Thanks. At least I know I didn't install it incorrectly :D

SilverFun 04-02-2011 04:37 PM

I have the smittybilt grab handles and they work great !

Turdle 07-26-2011 10:42 AM

I also have a set ( or 2) of these, and would like to note some things. ( I joined just to do so as I drive a chopped up and sas'd explorer)

My set also came unstitched as I was pulling myself into the rig.

I called and got a replacement set free of charge, and noticed right off the "new' ones had the stitching doubled up, rather than a single line on the prior set.

Also, the handles are assembled " upside down" so to speak. Just slide them off the 2 outer straps, turn em end for end and you should be good to go.

Since mine are going over 2" tubing I sliced some length off the straps, heat treated the end stitching with my lighter, as any synthetic fabric cannot just be cut, it has to be heat seamed or the stitching will fray. The proper way to cut it is with a hot knife.

I then had my wife add even more stitching to the handles, adding 2 more lines of stitch, and to the ends of the straps which I had cut. She also re stitched the old set so now we have a set for the back seat.

While these may not be the best out there, you can improve them a bit yourself. Not to mention it seems they have addressed the issues, and, along with the excellent customer service, well, I do not consider them a waste of money for 15 bux.

Happy Trails! Hope to meet ya out there!!!

:D

thenorsepole 07-26-2011 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snax (Post 1152977)

These are what I have and they have held up VERY well. Good, solid handles.

desertgoose 07-26-2011 11:02 AM

I have these, and no complaints. They sag a bit like the picture but you just push them back up and they stay close to the roll bar.

Quadratec Exclusive 13305.40 - Quadratec® Logo Neoprene Covered Grab Handles - Quadratec

thenorsepole 07-26-2011 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turdle (Post 1410623)
I also have a set ( or 2) of these, and would like to note some things. ( I joined just to do so as I drive a chopped up and sas'd explorer)

My set also came unstitched as I was pulling myself into the rig.

I called and got a replacement set free of charge, and noticed right off the "new' ones had the stitching doubled up, rather than a single line on the prior set.

Also, the handles are assembled " upside down" so to speak. Just slide them off the 2 outer straps, turn em end for end and you should be good to go.

Since mine are going over 2" tubing I sliced some length off the straps, heat treated the end stitching with my lighter, as any synthetic fabric cannot just be cut, it has to be heat seamed or the stitching will fray. The proper way to cut it is with a hot knife.

I then had my wife add even more stitching to the handles, adding 2 more lines of stitch, and to the ends of the straps which I had cut. She also re stitched the old set so now we have a set for the back seat.

While these may not be the best out there, you can improve them a bit yourself. Not to mention it seems they have addressed the issues, and, along with the excellent customer service, well, I do not consider them a waste of money for 15 bux.

Happy Trails! Hope to meet ya out there!!!

:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by redz1 (Post 1153042)
$32 vs $15... you can see why my first choice WAS smittybilt

Ummmm....so why is spending $15 better than $32? Seems like a lot of work to fix cheap handles to where they actually function. Just sayin'.

uber 07-26-2011 11:47 AM

I put these on last week - look like stock....to be honest, they should be stock...

Amazon.com: Rugged Ridge 13305.14 Black Windshield Pillar Rear Side Grab Handle - Pair: Automotive

jimmyzwheelz 07-26-2011 12:37 PM

Thanks for the heads up and sorry for the issue. Master Craft grab handles are the best!! :thumb:

Turdle 07-26-2011 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenorsepole (Post 1410661)
Ummmm....so why is spending $15 better than $32? Seems like a lot of work to fix cheap handles to where they actually function. Just sayin'.

It took her 15 minutes to fix up all 4 sets, including stitching the ends I "created"
The handle itself slides right off and goes back on in about 20 seconds.

The result is a grab handle exactly like the 32.00 model. Had I known this before I Bought the smittybilts I might agree with you, but for now i have 2 sets for 15.00 and 15 minutes.

thenorsepole 07-26-2011 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turdle (Post 1410993)
It took her 15 minutes to fix up all 4 sets, including stitching the ends I "created"

The result is a grab handle exactly like the 32.00 model. Had I known this before I Bought the smittybilts I might agree with you, but for now i have 2 sets for 15.00 and 15 minutes.

I don't want to buy something, then spend a bunch of time and money modifying it....

Wait, never mind I own a Jeep. :rofl:

j.luis 07-26-2011 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redz1 (Post 1152583)

I had a pair on the 2004 that I just sold, I had them for about 4-5yrs and never had a problem with them... I even have a very heavy-duty friend of mine that would tug on them saying he was going to flip my jeep.

Rexacon 07-26-2011 07:01 PM

I have SkyJacker Grabs I luv them