Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Losing gas mileage (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/losing-gas-mileage-87638.html)

bigmonkey22 04-02-2011 09:33 PM

Losing gas mileage

I have a 2001 Wrangler with a little over 100k mile on it. I recently changed the plugs, ran some Seafoam thru the system to clean up the internals, and changed the oil. I have a Banks Air filter system on it and have cleaned the filter.

My gas mileage has gone down. Any suggestions to help get it back up?

robbiecc 04-02-2011 10:13 PM

same plugs that you took out? or better yet, the ones on the sticker under the hood?
not too sure bout the air filter but hear bad things about anything cept original ones.
change tires?(or chk the pressure lately?) driving style change? actually should be getting a little better mileage-they've gone from winter to summer blend of gas.

bigmonkey22 04-02-2011 10:50 PM

I put platinum plugs back in. Have not checked tire pressure. they do need to be rotated. I read on another thread about checking the TPS or something like that. May be the next thing I do.

Wyominer 04-03-2011 06:36 PM

What about your gas? Did the gas stations start adding ethonol to their gas?

kjeeper10 04-03-2011 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigmonkey22
I have a 2001 Wrangler with a little over 100k mile on it. I recently changed the plugs, ran some Seafoam thru the system to clean up the internals, and changed the oil. I have a Banks Air filter system on it and have cleaned the filter.

My gas mileage has gone down. Any suggestions to help get it back up?

Are they the double platinum plugs? I hear the singles are not good for our year without the distributer. Also at 100,000 miles the 02's should be replaced. I just did mine on my 01 with 155000 and noticed a huge difference in mileage.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using WF Access

kjeeper10 04-03-2011 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robbiecc
same plugs that you took out? or better yet, the ones on the sticker under the hood?
not too sure bout the air filter but hear bad things about anything cept original ones.
change tires?(or chk the pressure lately?) driving style change? actually should be getting a little better mileage-they've gone from winter to summer blend of gas.

What date do they switch over?

01WranglerGuy 04-03-2011 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wyominer (Post 1155712)
What about your gas? Did the gas stations start adding ethonol to their gas?

I Agree alot of people pay little attention to this, but ethonol kills the gas milage. It will also give you alot of problems with small engines with the carbs. I have heard from my atv mechanic that if it sits in the carb long enough it will actually start to grow a fungus.

robbiecc 04-03-2011 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 1155742)
What date do they switch over?

going by what was said at work. did a search and got several dates (april15, may 1) but these dates seem to be when they can accept only summer blend-doesn't say they can't accept it eariler(at gas stations). also most of what i found was pretty dated material.

dvdlpzus 04-03-2011 10:57 PM

Try checking the tire pressure as well.