Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   New plugs? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/new-plugs-87640.html)

JDS 04-02-2011 08:51 PM

New plugs?
 
Replacing the plugs in my 4.0 tomorrow. Any input on brand? Or type? Was thinking of going with boshs 2 prong plugs. I have about 52000 miles on my rig any imput will help

TexasT 04-02-2011 09:22 PM

Need to know what year yours is.

robbiecc 04-02-2011 09:23 PM

you'll probably get alot of "use what is recommended on the hood sticker' which is probably pretty sound advice

Tannerr 04-02-2011 10:03 PM

I agree with robbie just stick with what it recommends, I tryed a set of NGK V Power plugs and I am almost certain I`ve lost mpg since the change

JDS 04-02-2011 10:38 PM

2005 4.0, trying to squeeze a little better fuel out of mine. Only getting around 14 mpg, but im running 32's

Austen 04-03-2011 08:35 AM

I have a 2004 4.0L if you read the following thread it will save me from saying a lot of things over.

I posted about lubricating the front end, and it turned into spark plugs. A fellow Jeeper suggested the perfect plug for us. My 4.0L now runs around town a full 1000 rpms lower, and 500 RPMs lower at full speed on the highway, and only takes 1/5th of the gas peddle to take off from stopped, my MPGs have just about doubled since changing them on friday.

There are also pictures I posted. Good luck.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/how-...rks-86856.html

I am very thankful I was told about these plugs.

Jerry Bransford 04-03-2011 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDS (Post 1154730)
2005 4.0, trying to squeeze a little better fuel out of mine. Only getting around 14 mpg, but im running 32's

2001 and newer 4.0L engines are DIS (distributorless ignition system) designs which are very fussy about their spark plugs. And it seems few Jeep engines run well with any of the Bosch Plus 2 or Plus 4 plugs.

Three plugs that will work very well in newer DIS engines include the Autolite APP985 (not AP985!!), Autolite XP-985, or Champion 7034. Any of those three plugs will run well for at least 100K miles. The XP-985 is the latest iridium thin-wire technology, the other two are both dual-tipped platinum plugs. Conventional plugs only last half as long in DIS engines since they fire the spark plugs 2X as often so I don't recommend them. :)

nick50471 04-03-2011 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
2001 and newer 4.0L engines are DIS (distributorless ignition system) designs which are very fussy about their spark plugs. And it seems few Jeep engines run well with any of the Bosch Plus 2 or Plus 4 plugs.

Three plugs that will work very well in newer DIS engines include the Autolite APP985 (not AP985!!), Autolite XP-985, or Champion 7034. Any of those three plugs will run well for at least 100K miles. The XP-985 is the latest iridium thin-wire technology, the other two are both dual-tipped platinum plugs. Conventional plugs only last half as long in DIS engines since they fire the spark plugs 2X as often so I don't recommend them. :)

What plug do you recommend for the 97-2000 TJ Jerry?

Jerry Bransford 04-03-2011 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nick50471 (Post 1156382)
What plug do you recommend for the 97-2000 TJ Jerry?

For non-DIS engines, the kind that have distributors, they are not nearly as fussy as the newer DIS 4.0L engines are. Good plugs include the less expensive Champion 3034 and Autolite AP985 which are single-tipped platinum plugs, or the Autolite XP-985 which is iridium coated. The older non-DIS engines also do fine with conventional plugs like the Autolite 985, I forget the Champion conventional plug model. The benefit to platinum and iridium plugs is they last so long, at least 100k miles. :)

JDS 04-04-2011 05:25 PM

I went with the champion 7034, We will see how they go. I checked the gap after being told they were set. 3 of them were way to big but the other 3 were good

Jerry Bransford 04-04-2011 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDS (Post 1157567)
I went with the champion 7034, We will see how they go.

Good choice, you'll get 100K miles out of those particular plugs. :punk:

BANGER 04-04-2011 05:46 PM

I have an 04 Wrangler 6 Cly and just changed two weeks ago . I used the Autolite APP985 and it runs very smooth . I,m also running 32 inch tires a 5 speed and drive alot of small roads getting alittle over 18 mpg .

Over all I,m happy with the mileage . BANGER

MN_Chuck 04-04-2011 07:17 PM

I just swapped in Champions a couple of weeks ago. One of the best things I did for my Jeep (4 cyl). Went with the Platinum, its what they had at my local NAPA.
According to a google search, and various websites its the way to go for Jeeps.

I have a buddy that works small gas engines on ATV's, snowmobiles, motorcycles, etc. that will only install Champion plugs. He will tell you to "throw that other crap away".

Find what works for you and stick with it.

colotj 09-09-2013 10:52 PM

I have a 98 4.0. Can you tell me the recommended gap?

sparky 09-10-2013 09:43 AM

.035" per the book

colotj 09-10-2013 10:48 AM

Thank You

Momamac 09-10-2013 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 1156357)
Conventional plugs only last half as long in DIS engines since they fire the spark plugs 2X as often so I don't recommend them. :)

Wait...what? Does it really fire twice per revolution? Not trashing, just never heard that. I need to do my plugs sometime soon, before snow!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:49 AM.