Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

brake prob....help

1K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Schwheelz 
#1 ·
ok so i was drivin down the road and my friend thought it would be funny to pull my e brake now my brake light is on and i dont have hardly any brake padal it just goes to the floor any ideas

#7 ·
what a jerk!! Not only completely unsafe but pretty dumb lol. I too had a "buddy" do this to me. The only thing that happened was i lost the use of my e-brake, so just had to leave it in gear when parked, and not be on an incline. My light never came on however. If nobody else can help you out i would take it to a local shop and stick him with the bill! Also is the e-brake fully disengaged? trying pulling it back up and then letting it go all the way down. Mine has almost a little click to get back down, and if its not totally disengaged that could be why your light is staying on? Just a thought

#8 ·
The ebrake is pretty simple. When you pull it it moves the shoes out to contact the drum. The cable goes directly into the brake housing on each side. It could have damaged the parts used inside the brake used for the ebrake, which are also the parts needed for regular braking. If you're experienced with drum brakes...take the wheel and drum off and inspect the springs and mounts that hold the shoes on as I suspect one or more were jerked loose when the brake was pulled. If you're not comfortable with doing it yourself run it to a good mechanic and he should be able to see the problem quickly. Drum brakes aren't that hard but there are a lot of parts that need to work in there.

#10 ·
....... my friend thought it would be funny to pull my e brake
..... take it to a local shop and stick him with the bill!

X2! That is exactly what you should do. I bet he will not think it is so funny anymore. It might even keep the idiot from doing it to someone else.:doh:

#13 ·
The cable from the handle goes to a Y just before the rear axle. You need to get under the car and look while someone pulls the ebrake. It may have broken there or it could have broken on one of the two cables going to each brake. You need to determine if the cable pull at the Y is working as the starting point before you buy parts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.