Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Europe Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f108/)
-   -   Wrangler JK 2.8 CRD UK (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f108/wrangler-jk-2-8-crd-uk-88133.html)

howy 04-06-2011 07:00 AM

Wrangler JK 2.8 CRD UK
 
Hi Everyone,

Finaly bought myself a JK 2.8CRD after thinking about it for some time and I am made up with it.
Its a 2007 black with hard and soft top and 55000 miles on the clock.

I have some questions regarding this vehicle.

1. Where is the best place to buy diesel and oil filters (as I have been quoted astronomical prices, surely this engine is the same as the other 2.8crd fitted to the Cherokee????????)

2. What recommendations does anyone have on the best oil to use.

3. What price and where can you get exhausts for this vehicle

4. Is the cambelt/waterpump and tensioner the same as the other 2.8crd Cherokee engines?

5. Are there any UK forums that specialise in the 4 door JK as they seem to be a rarity here in the UK.

Sorry for the questions guys but I like to know about the repair side of my cars and how much I am going to get skinned on regular maintenace and consumables because the price of diesel and road tax in the UK makes me try and get the best deal possible.

Regards
Howy

Peepers 04-06-2011 07:15 AM

Welcome! We've been waiting probably since 1997 or earlier in the states for a diesel wrangler, so in that aspect we might not be as helpful.

You could always try amazon or any of the other online retailers, I'm not sure if they ship to the UK. If you use 15w40 in your diesel I've always used castrol, or I just started using a valvolene that comes in a blue container thats recomended for cummins.

BigEZ 04-06-2011 08:03 AM

if you don't mind asking, how much did you pay in the UK for that vehicle? It doesn't cost that much to ship a vehicle here from there; it might be the answer some of us are looking for regarding the lack of a diesel over here. Definitely cheaper than a diesel swap. also, is that UK model a right hand drive?


*after internet search it appears JKs in the UK are RHD, for those that care.

howy 04-06-2011 08:59 AM

Hi
I paid £10600 for the Jeep with both roofs. Its the Sahara Unlimited with just about every factory optional extra with it.
Regards
Howy

IRCKevin 04-06-2011 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigEZ (Post 1160905)
if you don't mind asking, how much did you pay in the UK for that vehicle? It doesn't cost that much to ship a vehicle here from there; it might be the answer some of us are looking for regarding the lack of a diesel over here. Definitely cheaper than a diesel swap. also, is that UK model a right hand drive?


*after internet search it appears JKs in the UK are RHD, for those that care.


Don't buy new if you do- this is 'Rip-Off Britain'. JK in this spec, new would cost $50,000. We pay through the nose for U.S. boats too. Bayliner 285 costs us $163000. (This doesn't mean that UK and European cars are cheaper- we get over-taxed on everything we buy, wherever it comes from!) You'd also need to change the lighting to comply with U.S.regs. Our indicators aren't lit when side lights switched on and only flash on/off when indicating.

BigEZ 04-06-2011 01:59 PM

haha many of us live in states with no inspections, so no need to worry about "regs" but thanks for the heads up.

any forum members stateside ever done something like this? just wonder what the title process is like. I can't be the only person to think of this so there must be reasons more people haven't done it.

and I will never buy a brand new vehicle as long as I live...losing 15% of sticker price to drive it off the lot isn't worth it.

howy 04-06-2011 02:09 PM

Totally agree with you IRCKevin about the UK being the rip off capital of the world, we do pay through the nose.

Although, 2 years ago I was a factory manager and contemplating buying a new 2.8crd JK 4 door as I could get a brand new one from a dealer in Newcastle for thirteen thousand pounds (with scrapage allowance and not pre registered).This was due to Fiat taking over Chrysler and wanting to shift the back log.

I was just about to buy one when I had to close the factory I managed as our main customer pulled out of the UK, so I decided to save the money only to find another job and then see the scrapage allowance 'scrapped' and the prices go back up to 23,000 :facepalm::banghead:
To say I was gutted was an understatement

Bazzer 04-06-2011 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by howy (Post 1160817)
Hi Everyone,

Finaly bought myself a JK 2.8CRD after thinking about it for some time and I am made up with it.
Its a 2007 black with hard and soft top and 55000 miles on the clock.

I have some questions regarding this vehicle.

1. Where is the best place to buy diesel and oil filters (as I have been quoted astronomical prices, surely this engine is the same as the other 2.8crd fitted to the Cherokee????????)

2. What recommendations does anyone have on the best oil to use.

3. What price and where can you get exhausts for this vehicle

4. Is the cambelt/waterpump and tensioner the same as the other 2.8crd Cherokee engines?

5. Are there any UK forums that specialise in the 4 door JK as they seem to be a rarity here in the UK.

Sorry for the questions guys but I like to know about the repair side of my cars and how much I am going to get skinned on regular maintenace and consumables because the price of diesel and road tax in the UK makes me try and get the best deal possible.

Regards
Howy

Hi mate,

Regards the oil, you want 0W-40 Turbo Diesel fully synthetic grade oil such as Mobil 1. Watch out for the Halfords deals as they often do 50% off so I buy in bulk when the offers are on.

I get my filters from a UK dealer whom sells through Ebay. Not sure if they are the cheapest available but I'm not sure where else to get genuine OEM filters. (Mine still has warranty so service using Genuine Parts even though I do the servicing myself). Besides, I don't believe in cheap filters made in China.

I don't know of any UK specific forums for the JK Wrangler, hence why I frequently visit here. These guys are a good bunch to hang out with and you can really rub the salt in the wound about being lucky enough to own a desireable diesel. :D There is a Jeep Club in the UK that organises off roading events but I'm not yet a member as the events tend to be all up North.

Not sure about exhausts, and not sure if the centre pipe and rear backbox is the same as a petrol engine exhaust.

Enjoy your Jeep mate, I love mine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRCKevin (Post 1161428)
Our indicators aren't lit when side lights switched on and only flash on/off when indicating.

My side indicators illuminate when the side lights are on and flash when indicating.

howy 04-06-2011 03:35 PM

Many thanks Bazzer,
I live in north wales and may have already found a source for exhausts for anyone in the UK who needs one.

I went to all of the local exhaust dealers and the only exhaust component I found was for the back box, that was a stunning four hundred and thirty five pounds PLUS VAT!!!!!!!!!!!!

After finding this I made it my goal to source another option.

Ther is a company in Manchester that will manufacture a COMPLETE system for the JK using the original system (which they have already copied) in full stainless steel with all the original sensor fittings, lifetime guarantee, fitted for three hundred and fourty nine pounds inclusive of VAT. That is a bloody cracking deal. I spoke to them again today and they specialise in manufacturing factory systems, one offs and custom made racing exhausts.

I am definately having one fitted to my JK as the original is now starting to look decidedly rough. If anyone else is interested in this I will approach them and see if I can get a discount for members.

Regards
Howy

45LEE 01-18-2013 05:05 PM

Hi Howy

I've just bought myself a 07 wrangler JK 2.8 diesel and need an exhaust for it. How did you get on with yours? Could you give me the number for the lads in Manchester.

Ps I'm from mid Wales

Grizzly-Chris 01-20-2013 01:46 AM

Hiya Howy and 45Lee and congrats on your Jeep purchases,
I don't know of a specific UK JK forum but the UK Jeep owners club covers all Jeep products but there are quite a few JK owners, some properly know there stuff when it comes to the UK Version of the JK.
Here's a link to it.
Home - Jeep® Owners Club UK - jeep Wrangler, Grand Cherokee, Cherokee, Patriot

BigEZ,
I'm an export container truck driver in the UK and we take many containers to companies who load cars into them for export to normally countries who struggle to get certain makes.
I'm sure if you purchased a used diesel JK from Say Germany who also drive left hand drive vehicles you could have it boxed up and shipped to the US.

howy 02-13-2013 09:47 AM

Hi 45LEE

Sorry I haven't got back to you but I haven't been on here for some time.

I will have to have a good root around for that companies details as I have put it somewhere 'safe' and cannot remember where. Its not going to be too long until I am due for a replacement as I haven't had one fitted yet so I will get on the case this week.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:42 AM.