Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   Problems after tune up (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/problems-after-tune-up-88471.html)

Brecko69 04-08-2011 02:14 PM

Problems after tune up

I just gave my YJ a tune up and now when I put it into gear it stalls out. It was not doing this before. I did not adjust the timing or anything, just the regular tune up: Dist cap and rotar, plugs, wires, fuel filter, and PCV valve.

Garyk 04-09-2011 10:51 AM

Make sure fuel filter is installed correctly, plug wires in proper sequence, plugs gapped correctly. All wires properly seated, especially at coil, I have found defective rotors before right out of the box, the carbon button inside was missing/damaged.

sevenservices 04-11-2011 09:47 AM

be sure you put the small piece in under the cap to that goes down to the top of the rotor. It looks like the end of a pen or something about half an inch long. They will run without them but the spark has to jump... Just something to check. If you still have a piece left over that looks like that, that would be it.

Does it stall when you put it in gear or when you start to let out on the clutch? Parking brake isn't on is it?

Brecko69 04-12-2011 12:49 PM

I double checked the firing order and that was all good. The wires are hooked all hooked up tight as well.

The jeep is a automatic and it stalls as soon as you put it into gear.

I did unplug the vacuum advance and it did not stall when put into gear....

POS YJ 04-12-2011 01:03 PM

Did you replace your plug wires one at a time? If you unplugged the vacuum advance and it didn't stall, I would look at the plug wires.

Garyk 04-12-2011 01:36 PM

If it stalls when put in gear with an auto yet runs and idles fine then I would suspect the idle is too low or a vacuum leak

Brecko69 04-12-2011 01:56 PM

POS YJ,
I did not replace the wire one at a time, but I did go over the firing order and made sure it was correct. I also tried putting the old wires back in to rule out the new wires being bad and had the same problem.

GaryK,
I will check for a vacuum leak. I would agree with adjusting the idle but, it idled fine before the tune up so I dont want to up the idle to mask the problem.

POS YJ 04-12-2011 02:25 PM

There was a guy on here a week or so ago with a similar problem, and he had 2 or 3 different plug wire diagrams for his jeep. The firing order should be the same, but the location of the wires on the cap was different. Try moving all of the plug wires clockwise 1 terminal on the cap and try it. If that doesn't work, then move them back 2 places counter clockwise, or 1 spot CCW from where they are now. I'm guessing that this will fix the problem, as when you disconnect the vacuum advance, it adjusts the timing enough to run o.k., but not correctly.
I will go look at my cap and let you know how mine is set up.
My #1 plug wire is right in the middle of the 2 cap mounting screws, facing the PS motor mount. Mine is the 4.0 though. I'm assuming yours is the 4.2, not sure if it makes a difference, but I would start rotating the wires. Keep us posted.

Brecko69 04-28-2011 06:46 PM

I moved the wires one spot over in each direction and the engine did not even start. The firing order is defiantly correct.

The thing is, it only stalls out when put into gear before it reaches about 150degrees on the temp gauge. And once it is fully warmed up to about 210, it idles perfectly at 600rpm....doesnt even drop in rpm at all at idle.

This is making me think it may be a choke problem.

Any thoughts??

gmaak 04-28-2011 07:23 PM

Have you just checked the plugs? Something similar drove a friend nutts for a month after a basic tune up and all it turned out to be was a bad plug. Not to familiar with the YJ but can you pull any codes. Like you said everything was fine until you did the tune up so start with these areas first before jumping to conclusions. Just my 2 cents.