Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   the new reality? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/the-new-reality-88694.html)

alstjruby03 04-10-2011 10:59 AM

the new reality?

took a long drive yesterday and reserve light comes on. pull into to get gas.
pre pay 50 dollars and for the first time the hose doesn't click off.ouch

jeepjones 04-10-2011 11:14 AM

As of yesterday the average price of gas here in Calgary was $1.17 a litre, they're say about $1.50 per litre this summer. This is what I don't understand: if we are trying to recover from the recession wouldn't you think that it might be a good idea to keep the fuel prices a little lower heading into driving/vacation season? Honestly, if the fuel prices are that high people won't go anywhere for vacation further stifling the already poor economy. I've already parked the Jeep for the most part choosing instead to drive an older model Honda Civic that still gets much better fuel mileage. If it comes down to it I'll buy a motorcycle, but really paying this much for fuel is ridiculous especially seeing how the oil comes from Alberta and there are refineries not 300km away from me.I just don't get it :confused:

Shoe 04-10-2011 12:44 PM

Jeepjones, you just described supply and demand very well! If supply goes down or demand goes up, prices go up. It has very little to do with cost.

Arch Stanton 04-10-2011 12:54 PM

I filled up yesterday, and it cost $3.52 a gallon. Due to the turmoil in the Middle East, speculators are buying up a lot of the oil in anticipation of higher oil prices, and China's economy is still doing well and has a huge appetite for oil. Unfortunately, the Chinese don't ride as many bicycles anymore and are driving more cars. Maybe they'll start driving Jeeps next.

KDirty87 04-10-2011 12:57 PM

I wish I was paying $3.52/gallon. I filled up yesterday for $3.95/gallon...and that was the cheap stuff. It was also on base where it is usually a few cents cheaper.

alstjruby03 04-10-2011 12:59 PM

I paid 379 at a safeway with a 10 cent member discount here.

Arch Stanton 04-10-2011 01:05 PM

You'd think with all of the oil Canada has that gas would be lower. Does Canada have it's own refineries? I read that Canada's economy was doing better than that of the U.S. The U.S. and Canadian dollar are almost equal. I used to have Canadian customers who were always complaining about getting killed by the exchange rate. By the way, hows the weather up in Alberta? I know that you get a lot more sunshine than other provinces of Canada. I've been to Alberta several times; I especially enjoyed Banff and Jasper Park. However, I never did develop a taste for Grasshopper beer. Too hoppy in my humble opinion. :rofl:

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepjones (Post 1169339)
As of yesterday the average price of gas here in Calgary was $1.17 a litre, they're say about $1.50 per litre this summer. This is what I don't understand: if we are trying to recover from the recession wouldn't you think that it might be a good idea to keep the fuel prices a little lower heading into driving/vacation season? Honestly, if the fuel prices are that high people won't go anywhere for vacation further stifling the already poor economy. I've already parked the Jeep for the most part choosing instead to drive an older model Honda Civic that still gets much better fuel mileage. If it comes down to it I'll buy a motorcycle, but really paying this much for fuel is ridiculous especially seeing how the oil comes from Alberta and there are refineries not 300km away from me.I just don't get it :confused:

kjeeper10 04-10-2011 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDirty87
I wish I was paying $3.52/gallon. I filled up yesterday for $3.95/gallon...and that was the cheap stuff. It was also on base where it is usually a few cents cheaper.

Same here : (

Arch Stanton 04-10-2011 03:19 PM

For some reason, Arizona has some of the lowest gas prices in the country.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 1169613)
Same here : (

kjeeper10 04-10-2011 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arch Stanton
For some reason, Arizona has some of the lowest gas prices in the country.

Live in CT And among the highest, would much like to move more south or out west. serious thinking about finding a job elsewhere and relocating. CT is crazy expensive to live.

jstone326 04-10-2011 05:17 PM

New York, where I live the cheapest is like $3.92, but I've seen it as high as $4.19, WTF!!!

BANGER 04-10-2011 06:12 PM

Your not looking at supply and demand . Your looking at speculators little more then that . At this time we have more oil then we can refine . We are being taken to the cleaners again . No one is buying more then they just need to get to work and weekend shoping .

BANGER

Coyote_94YJ 04-10-2011 06:18 PM

Ya, I know what you mean. I haven't filled up the dodge in a while. It's diesel and has a 35 gallon tank. Last time I checked diesel here was $4.49 per gallon. :eek:

04-Rubi 04-10-2011 06:46 PM

Wow. I thought $3.48 was outrageous. I'm glad gas isn't that high around here.

Zetsumei 04-10-2011 06:52 PM

Ours is hovering around $3.50-$3.60. I was sick to find out why gas prices are so high. It's ridiculous!

Greenman 04-10-2011 07:07 PM

My beef is that the oil companies' profits don't seem to fluctuate with supply and demand. They keep turning in record breaking profits no matter what the F is going on in the world. I remember a few years back when the oil companies told us all there were "problems with our refineries" and america's supply of oil was in steep decline. Here on long island we saw almost $5/gal. Well wouldn't you know it, but during those economic quarters the oil companies made hundreds of millions more dollars than they had in previous quarters. Something doesn't add up people, come on. I'm sick and tired of those sons a bitches reaching deeper and deeper into our pockets, then pretending like they have nothing to do with it when everyone starts complaining. To quote the late, great George Carlin: "It's all bullshit folks, and it's bad for ya"

04-Rubi 04-10-2011 07:13 PM

^ So true. They whine "oh no, oil prices rising, we gotta up prices at the pump" and then bring in record breaking profits? Honestly, how do they manage to get away with it?

Jp90Talon 04-10-2011 07:14 PM

Yup 3.98 cash, 4.08 credit card in my area right now for regular. >$60 a tank for the LJ and 13 mpg. I was spending >$200 a week for gas and said screw it.

I picked up one of these yesterday
http://www.myride.com/images/2005/Ho...exfrpass34.jpg

30+ MPG .......Winning!

Greenman 04-10-2011 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jp90Talon
Yup 3.98 cash, 4.08 credit card in my area right now for regular. >$60 a tank for the LJ and 13 mpg. I was spending >$200 a week for gas and said screw it.

I picked up one of these yesterday

30+ MPG .......Winning!

I think you might be on to something talon. Next week I'm heading to the petting zoo to pick up my certified pre-owned donkey. Almost zero emissions (just don't feed it beans)

Jp90Talon 04-10-2011 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greenman (Post 1170023)
I think you might be on to something talon. Next week I'm heading to the petting zoo to pick up my certified pre-owned donkey. Almost zero emissions (just don't feed it beans)

Well for my job I do a ton of driving all week and the civic will save me a bit over $100 a week easy. Thats about $400/month (double a car payment). So now not only will I be saving $, but I will finally be able to install the piles and piles of parts I have waiting to go on the Jeep since I wont have to have it as my daily. :punk:

Greenman 04-10-2011 07:40 PM

I was not kidding when I said you had a good idea, nor was I making fun. I was kidding about the donkey (his emissions are off the charts)

Jp90Talon 04-10-2011 07:44 PM

No worries.....Im just excited to be saving some $ plus get to work on the Jeep. I went to visit a buddy of mine today for a birthday brunch party and took the Si. The same trip that would have taken the jeep 1/2 a tank didnt even move the civics gas needle under the the full line.

Tannerr 04-10-2011 09:09 PM

Were paying around $1.21 to $1.24 a litre here on PEI, I'm pretty happy with the mileage I'm getting in my jeep, it's doing a lot better than my old truck was

Matcheen 04-10-2011 09:19 PM

Toronto, Ontario Canada here. $1.27 a liter for cheap unleade, $1.30 a liter for diesel. = 5.10 (est) a gallon for either fuel! Give me $3.50 a gallon any day!!! My last fill up in my sprinter was $105!

Dieselbud 04-15-2011 09:25 AM

$1.17/liter here in East/Central Alberta. It was .92 a few weeks ago. ($4.42/gal and $3.50/gal)

We went on a 6500km road trip (left the day after we bought the 2011) last month to Disney/Vegas. I think the most we paid down there, probably in the middle of Anaheim or something, was $1.11/liter ($4.10/gallon)

What a shock to come back across the border and $60 gave us less than 3/4 of a tank!! I don't think we paid more than $60 to fill it, even when it was sucking fumes.

One of the most oft asked questions we got (and we get a lot of questions everywhere we go about the JKU) is 'how's the fuel mileage?' I loved being able to tell people down there that their 'expensive' fuel it still less than what we have ever paid for a gallon of gas in the last 4 years.

As for the economy where I live (oil country) we barely saw a blip on the radar when it happened. Housing went down a teeny bit and the oil patch slowed a little for a few months, but right now jobs are to be had everywhere, the rigs were shutting down because of lack of manpower this winter. This is scheduled to be one of the busiest construction seasons we have had in a very long time. For homes, industry and oil. My husband is in the dirt moving business and this means a very busy summer for him.

I just wished we could benefit with the fuel though... but if I were worried about gas mileage, I would not have bought another Jeep. We quit smoking and the savings alone cover our monthly payment and then some.

Dieselbud 04-15-2011 09:27 AM

The cost of Diesel has gone through the roof here. In fact, Hubby gets a rate increase this summer for his grader to help off-set the costs. Our monthly fuel bill has gone from $3500-4000 a month to over $5k and we do not expect it to stop any time soon.

He is glad he traded in his Diesel truck for a gas truck right now.

Dieselbud 04-15-2011 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tannerr (Post 1170263)
Were paying around $1.21 to $1.24 a litre here on PEI, I'm pretty happy with the mileage I'm getting in my jeep, it's doing a lot better than my old truck was

My 2001 Olds Silhouette got the same gas mileage as my JKU. I try telling people that when they ask... but when they hear how little it is they look at me in shock and then go hug a tree crying.

:hide:

jrussblues 04-15-2011 09:44 AM

My dad keeps reminding me of the gas hike in the late 70's which led him to buy a 1980 dodge colt. 17 years later that ended up being my first car and gas was 89 a gallon. Its times like this we should remind ourselves that we have to stay steadfast in our resolve to not hand down dodge colts. The self esteem of future generations depends on it.

TJChris27 04-15-2011 11:27 AM

Its all about those big wig business majors turned investors. Its a product *everyone* and i mean everyone needs to purchase we can complain about prices but in the end we still buy it so the prices will continue rising. I say we have a good old fashion rally! stock up for a bit and see if we can get a whole week without anyone (jeepers) at least purchasing. I figure if a whole week goes by and a ton of people don't buy anything it may go down by 2 cents lol. Just a thought but it really would work. Im buyin a solar panel lol

Jp90Talon 04-15-2011 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJChris27 (Post 1180196)
Its all about those big wig business majors turned investors. Its a product *everyone* and i mean everyone needs to purchase we can complain about prices but in the end we still buy it so the prices will continue rising. I say we have a good old fashion rally! stock up for a bit and see if we can get a whole week without anyone (jeepers) at least purchasing. I figure if a whole week goes by and a ton of people don't buy anything it may go down by 2 cents lol. Just a thought but it really would work. Im buyin a solar panel lol

Comments like this always make me laugh.....stock up or dont drive for a week wont make a dif at all. In the end they have a monopoly since you still end up having to buy it to drive. Unless you find a way to make a Jeep run on mud they will still be in control of prices since you have to go back and buy it if you want to drive. At least now with my civic I spend $150 less a week at the pump.