Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   Strange Clutch Pedal Action (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/strange-clutch-pedal-action-88844.html)

eess 04-11-2011 09:59 AM

Strange Clutch Pedal Action
 
Bought this Jeep in Jan. PO put 5,400 miles on a complete frame off resto including the V8, Advance Adapters bellhousing, clutch, external slave kit, and new AX-15. I have put 1,000 miles on it since then with no clutch problems.

Friday while driving around town the clutch pedal suddenly developed a 'hard spot' in its downward travel just as it got into the release point. Push through that spot and the pedal suddenly goes back to normal effort the rest of the way to the floor. It feels like something going 'over center' if you know what I mean.

Consensus on another forum was that I needed a new master. Changed that and thoroughly bled the system (actually changed it 3 times). Problem went away for about the first 20 miles of driving then started to come back gradually until its now as bad as before.

One symptom that I'll try to describe is that when pushing the pedal slowly through the 'hard spot' there is a loud 'creaking' sound from under the floor like an old castle door. You can actually feel the vibration as it creaks. After pushing through the hard spot the noise and feeling go away for the remainder of the pedal travel and clutch disengagement. If you push the pedal at normal speed the noise isn't evident, just the feeling of going over center. I am working alone so I haven't been able to get under the Jeep to pinpoint the location of the noise although it seems as if it's coming from the center over the clutch area.

Through all of this the clutch works perfectly fine with nice progressive takeup and release, no chatter or slipping. Even though it works fine I feel that this is the signal of some kind of problem that should be fixed.

Any ideas on where to look?

Redrider94 04-11-2011 11:23 AM

Just a thought have you checked the top of clutch peddle where it pivots may have a ruff spot or may just need a little lube

eess 04-11-2011 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redrider94 (Post 1171398)
Just a thought have you checked the top of clutch peddle where it pivots may have a ruff spot or may just need a little lube

I was hoping it would be something that simple but Jeep life doesn't seem to work that way :rolleyes:

The pivot is free and smooth when I take the actuator rod off it's pin and there is a nylon bushing on the pin that has plenty of free play in the rod eye and on the pin.

Undead-89 04-11-2011 01:32 PM

Mine does the same but only started once I fixed my master. It is probably just wear over time. The hole is probably just enough out of round after 20 years of rubbing. you won't hear it without and pressure on it because of the gap. The gap will also be why you won't hear it without the pressure of the hydraulic system on it.

The only things I can think to do it try white lithium grease. you could, if you feel skilled enough, see about putting some kind of bearing in there, maybe brass or something of a different metal than the pin. you could try to polish the pin and the hole and perhaps that might help the noise.

eess 04-11-2011 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undead-89 (Post 1171628)
Mine does the same but only started once I fixed my master. It is probably just wear over time. The hole is probably just enough out of round after 20 years of rubbing. you won't hear it without and pressure on it because of the gap. The gap will also be why you won't hear it without the pressure of the hydraulic system on it.

The only things I can think to do it try white lithium grease. you could, if you feel skilled enough, see about putting some kind of bearing in there, maybe brass or something of a different metal than the pin. you could try to polish the pin and the hole and perhaps that might help the noise.

I don't think it's a linkage problem because when the Jeep shop put in the new motor, trans, clutch etc. they also installed a new pedal assembly. The PO really did it up right. Had the Jeep shop start with a bare frame and put everything new on it. It is a new 92 YJ with just over 6,000 miles on it. The PO drove it 5,000 then I bought it.

Undead-89 04-11-2011 02:48 PM

I'm thinking the noise in this case is just an indication of the point of highest stress, like when you pull a compound bow past the sweet spot. Mine has creaked for years if I push slowly.

eess 04-11-2011 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undead-89 (Post 1171775)
I'm thinking the noise in this case is just an indication of the point of highest stress, like when you pull a compound bow past the sweet spot. Mine has creaked for years if I push slowly.

I like your point of highest stress analogy. Describes exactly how the motion feels. The main thing that bothers me is that the problem started suddenly which would indicate to me the possibility of something breaking soon.

eess 04-11-2011 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eess (Post 1171869)
I like your point of highest stress analogy. Describes exactly how the motion feels. The main thing that bothers me is that the problem started suddenly which would indicate to me the possibility of something breaking soon.

It's strange how well the clutch works even with the pedal problem

ahoff08 07-01-2013 02:26 PM

clutch squeak
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by eess (Post 1172624)
It's strange how well the clutch works even with the pedal problem

Do you still have this problem. Did you do anything to fix it and did anything break because of this noise? just asking because my 1993 yj just started doing this.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:06 AM.