Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   General Jeep Discussion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/)
-   -   Top 3 Mistakes new jeeps owners make. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/top-3-mistakes-new-jeeps-owners-make-88896.html)

n2jeepn 04-11-2011 03:14 PM

Top 3 Mistakes new jeeps owners make.

The Top three mistakes that new Jeep owners make.

1) They make decisions to quickly.
2) They do not understand the full effects of any modifications they do.
3) Do not sacrifice quality for cost.

I have been wheeling since the 70ís. The last 5 years I have been a trail guide for Jeep Jamboree USA. I encourage and teach new jeep owners to learn how to wheel off road with finesse. The new Jeep owner needs to understand how to use throttle control, understand their vehicles capabilities, understand how to adjust their tire pressures with the amount of weight they are carrying on each tire or axle, understand how articulation works and how to increase it, and most importantly, understand grip for the conditions your driving on and how to improve grip. Drive for a year and learn the above. Then decide what modifications you would like to do.
Have fun wheeling!

YouTube - Top Three Mistakes

pokey 04-11-2011 06:14 PM

:appl: Well said. I've also been offroading since the 70's, my TJ is my third Jeep. I try to be the voice of the stock Jeeper around here. Their capabilities are under-rated.
It's been said before, it's not so much what is bolted on to the Jeep as it is the driver.

shewoolf 04-11-2011 06:30 PM

Only things we have done so far is add new bumpers and the cargo rack. It's our only car so we needed somewhere to put the tent LOL

We have not been truly off roading in years. Thats why we want to hook up with experienced people and learn from them!

jebby 04-11-2011 06:52 PM

mine is bone stock (although i did put on some all terrain tires) and i love her to death.... a stock tj will do amazing things and very simple mods say 2 inch lift is about all i really want to do to her

POS YJ 04-11-2011 07:36 PM

Great advice!! The only thing I would add, is to do a little studying about how your Jeeps suspension and steering components work, and how to fix them. It seems that there are far too many people up wheeling that think that they are invincible because they have 4 wheel drive, even though they might not know how to make it work! (Seen it on more than 1 occasion) And if you have a vibration, wobble, wiggle or whatever else the case may be, find out what it is before you hit the trail. If you don't fix it before you go, please bring some spares and tools so you don't ruin someone else's weekend towing YOU out.

Lithium Lotus 04-12-2011 10:31 PM

The same could be said for any auto sport.

Drag racing: People want all the go fast goodies but don't know how to time the light or learn how to make the perfect launch with as little wheel spin as possible. Perfecting the launch will decrease your 1/4 times substantially.

Autocross: People want to stiffen the suspension and get wider wheels/tires. But they don't know the stock limitations of the vehicles; hence the stock classes.

Accursius 04-12-2011 10:54 PM

Fully agree on the autocross comment. Had a Mallet Corvette show up last year. Counldnt keep it on the track.. He had set the suspension in the lowest ride height figuring it would corner flatter.. It did.. Right into the grass every turn.

-DOM- 04-13-2011 09:16 PM

:thumb:
i learned the hard way
sunk my xj first week i had it and almost hydro locked it thank god i didnt break any rods