Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   2011 RHB Nav-Update available? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/2011-rhb-nav-update-available-88954.html)

spm488 04-11-2011 08:33 PM

2011 RHB Nav-Update available?

I just replaced an old windows mobile phone with a new EVO android and my bluetooth (UConnect) bl**ws with this new phone. Phonebook doesnt sync properly, my voice identification is all over the place, connectivity comes and goes etc...

I find it hard to believe that an older phone works better so I am wondering if maybe the software/firmware needs to be updated on my Jeep stereo. I have the RHB touchscreen Nav. Does anyone know the latest version available? My Jeep was built in November so I would think that I have a recent version, but I am looking for any advice I can get.

Thanks for your help!

spm488 04-12-2011 06:24 PM

24hrs and no response, that's unusual!

John412 04-12-2011 06:30 PM

I would respond to help you but I have no clue what your talking about. If I could have got my JK with no radio I would have. I never understood what blue tooth is or anything like that. I sit my Iphone up on the window holder and use it for txt, the goodle maps are great offroad, and internet anywhere. I didnt think anyone talks on a cell phone anymore. :-) Sorry I cant help.

pat@fieldsauto.com 04-12-2011 08:15 PM

Chances are your phone has not been tested for compatability. There is a uconnect phone compatability list on jeep.com check it out and see if your phone has been tested and what software was tested.

LaTuFu 04-12-2011 09:37 PM

We have three 2011 Jeeps with the same problem. If your phone is running iOS 4.0 or higher, or Android 2.2 or higher, uconnect probably won't work properly.

The best "workaround" I have come up with is:

--Toggle off Bluetooth once you turn off your vehicle. (or, at least toggle it off just before you turn on the vehicle, then toggle it back on right before you start)

if that doesn't work:
--go into settings, wireless, bluetooth settings, and long press on the uconnect pairing. Select Options, and uncheck "connect to media player". If you only connect the phone, it should work.

Also, the phonebook downloads your contacts each time you connect to the vehicle, so expect it to be a little sluggish for the first 30-40 seconds after it links up.

Hope that helps. Pat, please don't think I'm taking a shot at you, because you are a great resource on this forum, but we've gotten 0 help out of Chrysler on this problem. They blame it on the phones or the phone software, which is complete garbage. Why they have taken the stance that phone software will never update/change after they write a piece of firmware is beyond comprehension to me.

iOS 4.0+ and Android 2.2+ all have a different Bluetooth codec/software package. Chrysler needs to update the uconnect firmware ASAP. It isn't a new problem for uconnect, iOS 4.0 and Android 2.2 have been out for about a year, which is an eternity in mobile phone shelf life. Bluetooth is an open standard, so its not like its a license issue, either.

spm488 04-13-2011 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat@FieldsJeep (Post 1175112)
Chances are your phone has not been tested for compatability. There is a uconnect phone compatability list on jeep.com check it out and see if your phone has been tested and what software was tested.

Pat, first let me say thank you as usual for your help. It is nice to have a dealer who is forthright. I actually searched this topic before I posted and found the link to the compatibility list you posted some time back. I was amazed to see that my phone was not on the list. The EVO has been out since last summer and runs a common android operating system, so it is amazing how poorly it works with the UConnect.

LaTuFu, I really am grateful you responded to this post. While I am somewhat tech savy, I am not really familiar with this phone so I was thinking that it was something I was doing wrong. However, my previous phone worked excellent with the UConnect so I kinda figured it was my EVO. I noticed it was connecting to "media player" as well as UConnect, but I had no idea what the h*ll that even meant! I deactivated that feature and will try your other recommendations.

pat@fieldsauto.com 04-13-2011 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaTuFu (Post 1175234)
We have three 2011 Jeeps with the same problem. If your phone is running iOS 4.0 or higher, or Android 2.2 or higher, uconnect probably won't work properly.

The best "workaround" I have come up with is:

--Toggle off Bluetooth once you turn off your vehicle. (or, at least toggle it off just before you turn on the vehicle, then toggle it back on right before you start)

if that doesn't work:
--go into settings, wireless, bluetooth settings, and long press on the uconnect pairing. Select Options, and uncheck "connect to media player". If you only connect the phone, it should work.

Also, the phonebook downloads your contacts each time you connect to the vehicle, so expect it to be a little sluggish for the first 30-40 seconds after it links up.

Hope that helps. Pat, please don't think I'm taking a shot at you, because you are a great resource on this forum, but we've gotten 0 help out of Chrysler on this problem. They blame it on the phones or the phone software, which is complete garbage. Why they have taken the stance that phone software will never update/change after they write a piece of firmware is beyond comprehension to me.

iOS 4.0+ and Android 2.2+ all have a different Bluetooth codec/software package. Chrysler needs to update the uconnect firmware ASAP. It isn't a new problem for uconnect, iOS 4.0 and Android 2.2 have been out for about a year, which is an eternity in mobile phone shelf life. Bluetooth is an open standard, so its not like its a license issue, either.

I don't think you are taking a shot at me at all. I understand your point and agree totally with it. I can only tell people what I am being told by Chrysler.
It's a shame because it lowers your opinion of Chrysler and what we need is everyones perception to be higher.
If I ever get any info that will help, you all will know about it immediately. Unfortunately it is out of our hands as dealers since we can only try so many things to make the bluetooth work on our end.

fmcgirt 04-13-2011 11:04 AM

I know this isn't going to make you feel any better but I have two phones working perfectly on my 2011 Sahara 430N-RHB, an AT&T iPhone4 with 4.3.1 and a Droid x with 2.2.1. Both connect fine on BT on incoming calls and allow me a choice of UConnect or direct phone on outgoing calls. I have not tried to download my phonebooks yet.

My problem with this radio is no Travel Link soft button and no Real Time Traffic which I was led to believe was available before I bought the vehicle. I have been back and forth between Sirius and the dealership and have been told by one person at Sirius that it is a known problem and will be fixed in the future and by another person at Sirius that they can't do anything and I need to talk to Chrysler. Also I have since learned or think I have learned - not sure what is true anymore about this stuff anymore - that the 430N - RHB never did support real time traffic and I have to have a 730N for that. This fact was not clear in any Jeep brochure I saw or online specs or from any sales person. At the time my Jeep was built in mid Nov 2010 I don't believe it was publicized and it sure wasn't known when I bought my vehicle in mid March.

spm488 04-13-2011 11:32 AM

fmcgirt, glad it is working for you. I don't quite understand either Chrysler's lack of transparency with the RHB 430n radio. They still do not even have it listed on the media center section of the website.

I am curious how it will work for you if you do decide to download the phonebook. That is another issue I am having with this phone versus my old windows mobile phone. While it downloads, UConnect rarely gets the person right that I am trying to call (this again never happened with my old phone). I now have to say the name with the last name first (and even with that I can't get it to recognize the name properly).

There are some people posting on other forums that there is a firmware update due out some time in April or May, I can only hope that this will include the fix.

gfcleba 04-13-2011 12:51 PM

Can anyone help? I am looking to purchase a 2011 JK Sahara but not desparate to have it today. The dealer has exactly what i want but it has a 430N (RHB) installed. The Jeep website now only quotes the 730N but I suspect it is the (RER) NOT the so called "new" (RHR). It also looks like the RHR model will incorporate rear-camera feature. One last point. I have a brand new android phone. If I can avert all the issues by waiting i will gladly wait. Can anyone sort all of this and offer your opinion. Thanks!

Macman1138 04-13-2011 12:54 PM

Works fine with my iPhone 4.
You guys must be doing something wrong.

fmcgirt 04-13-2011 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gfcleba (Post 1176297)
Can anyone help? I am looking to purchase a 2011 JK Sahara but not desparate to have it today. The dealer has exactly what i want but it has a 430N (RHB) installed. The Jeep website now only quotes the 730N but I suspect it is the (RER) NOT the so called "new" (RHR). It also looks like the RHR model will incorporate rear-camera feature. One last point. I have a brand new android phone. If I can avert all the issues by waiting i will gladly wait. Can anyone sort all of this and offer your opinion. Thanks!

Since I don't have phone problems with my 430N-RHB I can't speak to that but if you care about Travel Link and Real Time Traffic there is no way I would accept the 430N-RHB in a new vehicle. I would also check another vehicle with the same version of the 730N that you would be getting to make sure all of the features work as expected with your new phone before ordering a new one. Chrysler just doesn't have its act together on this one and it is hard for anyone to know what works without actually trying it out with your phone.

Perhaps if you find a 730N unit that works you could negotiate a swap with the dealer as part of your deal.

gfcleba 04-13-2011 01:57 PM

Thanks. But the other problem is that the 730N (RER) is being replaced with the 730N (RHN). You will never know what they will put until the car arrives. Also the RHR looks like it will have rear camera. Might be interested in that. Travel Link is not an issue. Real traffic is. Compatability with my phone using uconnect is very important to me. Have a call into the dealer but doubt they would admit anything.

pat@fieldsauto.com 04-13-2011 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gfcleba (Post 1176408)
Thanks. But the other problem is that the 730N (RER) is being replaced with the 730N (RHN). You will never know what they will put until the car arrives. Also the RHR looks like it will have rear camera. Might be interested in that. Travel Link is not an issue. Real traffic is. Compatability with my phone using uconnect is very important to me. Have a call into the dealer but doubt they would admit anything.

Media Center 730N CD/DVD/MP3/HDD/NAV (RHR)
Uconnect Voice Command w/Bluetooth (RSP)
SIRIUS Traffic (RSS)
1-Yr SIRIUS RealTime Traffic Service (X9C)
Remote USB Port (RSX)

This is the navigation unit that replaces the 430n. This is what's in any recently built or ordered wrangler.

gfcleba 04-13-2011 02:11 PM

fmcgirt, does streaming audio work with your droid 2?

fmcgirt 04-13-2011 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gfcleba (Post 1176431)

Don't know. I will have to try that and let you know. It works fine with my iPhone 4.

fmcgirt 04-13-2011 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gfcleba (Post 1176431)

Streaming audio does work fine with my Droid X (not Droid 2) on my 430N-RHB. Sounds great too!

gfcleba 04-13-2011 02:32 PM

I have the new droid thunderbolt 4G-LTE from Verizon. maybe I need to test it in the actual vehicle and see.

gfcleba 04-13-2011 02:34 PM

Pat, As a dealer you must be aware of all these issues. Do you think I should wait and get the RHR or settle for the 430N? Does the RHR wrangler now have the rear camera as an added feature for the price difference? I am still confused.

pat@fieldsauto.com 04-13-2011 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gfcleba (Post 1176463)
Pat, As a dealer you must be aware of all these issues. Do you think I should wait and get the RHR or settle for the 430N? Does the RHR wrangler now have the rear camera as an added feature for the price difference? I am still confused.

No rear camera, I like them both. Both have good and bad things, I personally like the garmin nav better, but the 730 has the option of voice commands for the nav.

gfcleba 04-13-2011 03:00 PM

Thanks Pat. I live in South Florida and the JK will only be a weekend car for me, the voice command NAV has no value to me. The streaming music will. I did hear something about an update for live traffic. It is an $800 difference that may not yield any benefit. Are you aware yet of a release of an update to the 430N?

spm488 04-13-2011 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macman1138 (Post 1176302)
Works fine with my iPhone 4.
You guys must be doing something wrong.

That's it, how silly of me, I am doing something wrong.:doh:

I glad that your Iphone4 is working. But since this thread, which was started by me, had no criticism on the Iphone4's compatibility, then there is no relevance to your working system.

snax 04-13-2011 03:38 PM

My iphone 4 works perfect as a phone, but BT music streaming is horrible quality and when I direct connect through the remote USB port it does not recognize my iphone at all... These are frustrating things but still light years ahead of where I used to be.

Dieselbud 04-13-2011 03:48 PM

My Droid (Samsung Galaxy S Captivate) works fine with my 2011 JK4D 430N-RHB unit AS A PHONE. But I have not updated to Froyo (the Samsung update) on the phone yet and now I am afraid to. It is now running the stock 2.1 update1 firmware.

The BT music streaming does not work, nor does it work with my iPad or either of my iPod (touches). The units that DO connect play all the music in FF as well as sounding choppy and cuts out a lot.

The USB cable in the armrest does not work with my iPad or one of my iPod touches. The iPod that DOES work with this, only has the V4.2.1 software while the others have the latest. So now I am afraid to update the iPod that DOES work, but it is my daughter's and I cannot mess around with her music anyway. This particular iPod is the one that will NOT connect to the BT though :banghead:

I do not like the fact that nothing is working the way it was SUPPOSED to work. I do not have the traffic link either, but I am not sure if it was ever supposed to work. I put in a call to the dealer today and he was interested in more information, as he uses this Media Unit as a selling feature and he was so excited to tell me about it when we were looking at the Jeep.

He is looking into a software update, but from what I have heard it was supposed to be out in January, then March, then late April and now I am hearing June.

So for now, I am back to listening to music on the HDD or with the iPod using the AUX cable, (which is what I wanted to get away from in my '09 JK)

PS: I am a little peeved that there is no RANDOM/SHUFFLE feature in the media player. I have 780 songs on the HDD and whenever I start the Jeep it starts at Track #1. I have 778 other songs I have not heard yet.

fasthound 04-13-2011 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fmcgirt (Post 1176087)
I know this isn't going to make you feel any better but I have two phones working perfectly on my 2011 Sahara 430N-RHB, an AT&T iPhone4 with 4.3.1 and a Droid x with 2.2.1. Both connect fine on BT on incoming calls and allow me a choice of UConnect or direct phone on outgoing calls. I have not tried to download my phonebooks yet.

My problem with this radio is no Travel Link soft button and no Real Time Traffic which I was led to believe was available before I bought the vehicle. I have been back and forth between Sirius and the dealership and have been told by one person at Sirius that it is a known problem and will be fixed in the future and by another person at Sirius that they can't do anything and I need to talk to Chrysler. Also I have since learned or think I have learned - not sure what is true anymore about this stuff anymore - that the 430N - RHB never did support real time traffic and I have to have a 730N for that. This fact was not clear in any Jeep brochure I saw or online specs or from any sales person. At the time my Jeep was built in mid Nov 2010 I don't believe it was publicized and it sure wasn't known when I bought my vehicle in mid March.

I totally agree with you about the perception that the marketing material leaves with the buyer....the material (the stuff in the showrooms and on the official jeep website) shows a photo of the 430N and says that Traffic and Travel are part of it. It also says voice control of navigation comes with it. And if you look at the spec sheets in the material, it says Traffic and Travel come with the 430N.

I have been wondering how to approach Chrysler about this since I bought a Nov2010 build in March 2011 and I also talked to SIRIUS and got the same stories you did. I have no desire to push this through the dealer as I know I will just get pissed. My view is that Jeep/Chrysler is publishing misleading material and then not delivering what's promised. My view is that they should pull the 430N out of my Jeep and replace it with a version that does what the marketing brochures say it will do...and that is the 730RER.

I want to simply pull all of the material together and write a letter to Chrysler, but my feeling is that it will simply be a waste of my time and will just frustrate the hell out of me. So for now I'm just stewing about it and trying to just let it go...caveat emptor.

Kind of sucks, tho!

fmcgirt 04-13-2011 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fasthound (Post 1176680)
I totally agree with you about the perception that the marketing material leaves with the buyer....the material (the stuff in the showrooms and on the official jeep website) shows a photo of the 430N and says that Traffic and Travel are part of it. It also says voice control of navigation comes with it. And if you look at the spec sheets in the material, it says Traffic and Travel come with the 430N.

I have been wondering how to approach Chrysler about this since I bought a Nov2010 build in March 2011 and I also talked to SIRIUS and got the same stories you did. I have no desire to push this through the dealer as I know I will just get pissed. My view is that Jeep/Chrysler is publishing misleading material and then not delivering what's promised. My view is that they should pull the 430N out of my Jeep and replace it with a version that does what the marketing brochures say it will do...and that is the 730RER.

I want to simply pull all of the material together and write a letter to Chrysler, but my feeling is that it will simply be a waste of my time and will just frustrate the hell out of me. So for now I'm just stewing about it and trying to just let it go...caveat emptor.

Kind of sucks, tho!

Yes, I know exactly what you mean. That is my view too - they should make good on their advertising and replace my 430 with the appropriate 730 unit but I have little hope of that happening and to dwell on it is not productive. I am very happy with the 430 navigation and BT features except the lack of real time traffic which is very important for me. For now I am making this position known to my dealership and trying to let it go.

Dieselbud 04-13-2011 05:01 PM

My dealer asked me to print off any information I could find to put in my file for future reference. He wants me to be happy and we have bought 5 brand new vehicles from him in the last 4 years so I think he should!

He knows nothing about computers and software but he also wants to be on top of these issues.

I like the navigation (but not the safety feature of it, I wish there was a passenger override so we could find a Starbucks off a freeway when we can't pull over to type it in...) and so many other things about the media center, but he knew I was a little saddened because he went on and on about all these features before we knew they did not really work in the way HE thought they would.

sjyokel 04-14-2011 08:56 AM

Hi. New to this board...found this thread while searching for updates to my ever-frustrating RHB unit. We have an HTC Evo and Samsung Epic (Galaxy S) and are having the same troubles as you with all of the sync issues. The phone intermittently connects (or not). Streaming audio plays at 2x, pauses, then plays at 2x and so on. We tried disabling the custom ringtones from the phone becuase it would do a similar pattern as with the streaming audio, resulting in missed calls or not connecting when you tried to answer the call.

For a Jeep that we otherwise love, something as simple as the bluetooth connection has proven to be a real thorn in our side. We're also disappointed with the lack of traffic information (that was pushed as a selling point by our dealer), but it's a little easier to live without something we've never had. Our 2004 Acura's bluetooth always worked flawlessly even with our 2010-era phones.

If I've read other material correctly, they've stopped putting the RHB radio into any new production vehicles. Has anyone heard more reliable information about whether Chrysler intends to update our software or are there few enough of us who received the RHB that we're SOL? Has anyone approached their dealer about swapping out our radio for one of the newer units? Thanks in advance for the insight.

Dieselbud 04-14-2011 09:09 AM

Is your Samsung on 2.2? Mine works flawlessly on the stock 2.1 as a phone. So for now I will not update to Froyo.

I am also NOT going to update the last of my iProducts either. Even though it won't stream through BT, it is the only product that will work through the USB port in the armrest.

I have tried every trick in the book for the BT audio streaming and have the same problems as you. Same goes for the traffic link (not much traffic around here but we could have used it in the US last month...)

I also am frustrated that every time I get in the Jeep, my media player kicks on on my phone, despite not playing. I cannot find a work around for that either, and posted in the android forums with no help (but to root my phone).

I called my dealer and he started a file (our media center was pushed hard too...) and it was the first he heard of it. So be sure to call and let them know of your issues, so if anything does pop up they will call and let you know.

I also heard a rumor that when the upgrade comes, that we will get an extension with the Sirius contract. Not sure how reliable that is, Sirius seems to be all over the place with that when people call.

My dealer was quite interested in my issues, we are a small town and this was the first time he had heard of any of this. Mind you, it could have been the first 430N-RHB/2011 he sold, who knows!

sjyokel 04-14-2011 10:12 AM

Our Samsung is on 2.2. It connects well at times, but it's unpredictable. Our Evo (also 2.2) seems to be even less reliable with the connection. It will show up as connected, then randomly disconnect. If you try to take a call when it is connected, it often hangs up on the caller. I've even had it hang up mid-call, but picked up the handset and the person was still there. Again, I'd chalk it up to the phone if I haven't seen it work flawlessly with other vehicles.

I'll have to play with our iPod and iPad and see if it works. I know I've played music through the USB in the center console with our ancient click-wheel, but I haven't tried it with the iPad. I'll post up some results on that.

I talked to our dealer when I went if for our last free oil change. They were no help at all and didn't seem all that interested in finding out anything for me. I checked the other JKs while waiting and none had the RHB radio. That's why I'm concerned that if there's only a few hundred of us affected, I can't see Chrysler sinking much money into working out a solution for us.

The other piece is that I can't say whether I'd trade out the radio or not. I really like the GPS interface. I'd have to play with the replacement in order to make that call. Then there's the 18 hours of transferring iTunes to the HDD again.