Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   How to access windshield bolts in late model Jeeps (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/how-to-access-windshield-bolts-in-late-model-jeeps-893.html)

spacomponents 01-07-2006 06:14 PM

How to access windshield bolts in late model Jeeps
 
I'm buying a Jeep soon, and would like advice on how to access the bolts so we can fold the windshield down. They look buried nowadays. Any accessories to help on this? Thanks! :)

amerijeep 01-07-2006 08:44 PM

On my YJ I can just pull one bolt on each side and drop the windshield. I've only done it a couple times though.Not sure on a TJ, but I bet it's pretty much the same. Real easy.

4Jeepn 01-07-2006 10:05 PM

You will need to remove the sport cage at the windshield (and even at the center roll bar as I have always felt it looked a bit odd with the two from bar's hanging in mid air) and then there are two torqs bolts on either side of the windshield frame. usually black.. Very simple. But time consuming..

khenderson 01-08-2006 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4Jeepn
Very simple. But time consuming..

once you get it down, it's just like putting the top down. it can be done in just a couple of minutes. you can go ahead and get a sport cage(or a full cage) so you don't have to take the bars off....you can just unbolt and fold.

TJGreg 01-16-2006 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4Jeepn
You will need to remove the sport cage at the windshield (and even at the center roll bar as I have always felt it looked a bit odd with the two from bar's hanging in mid air) and then there are two torqs bolts on either side of the windshield frame. usually black.. Very simple. But time consuming..

The one to undo the windshield is indeed the large black one with a raised head, different from the rest of the torx.

1BLKJP 01-16-2006 05:25 PM

Also if you are so looking the Torx on the sport bars connecting to the windshield are Torx Security bolts. You will need separate bits for those.

Jerry Bransford 01-16-2006 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1BLKJP
Also if you are so looking the Torx on the sport bars connecting to the windshield are Torx Security bolts. You will need separate bits for those.

Those security pins inside the Torx head bolts are easily knocked out with just a few light taps with a pin punch and small hammer. No need for the special security torx adapter at all. :)

1BLKJP 01-16-2006 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
Those security pins inside the Torx head bolts are easily knocked out with just a few light taps with a pin punch and small hammer. No need for the special security torx adapter at all. :)

Nice little trick Jerry. :D Never really thought anything about it as I had already had a complete Torx set before I bought my TJ.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:25 AM.