Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Stuck torx (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/stuck-torx-89460.html)

Double_Trouble 04-15-2011 09:25 AM

Stuck torx

I'm swapping out the seatbelts in my 97 TJ and am having a helluva time getting the bolt off the bottom of the passenger side.

Limited space to get the rachet in, due to the seat. I've sprayed it with WD40, applied heat, used foul language.

Any suggestions?

BLK00TJ 04-15-2011 09:40 AM

Are you able to tap it with a hammer while turning the ratchet?
Also, wd40 is more of a protectant than a penetrating fluid. Get some PBlaster.

NHrubicon 04-15-2011 09:41 AM

WD40 is not a penetrant...it's a silicone spray to expell water. Use PB BLaster and try to get underneath the tube-you should see the bolt end sticking out of the welded nuts.
Soak it top and bottom every day for a couple days and see if that helps. Seems to me I remember snapping off a bolt or two rebuilding our YJ and had to drill out the center and use an extractor to get the rest of the bolt out. Not fun. If you were EXPERIENCED with a torch, I'd say get some heat to that nut and expand it while someone reefs on the bolt from above. BUT I can't stress experienced enough...you have fuel line running under there....don't want to burn up your baby! I'd start with a BF hammer and rap that nut to see if you can 'crack' the bolt lose. At the worst-you break the welded nut off and have to cut the bolt right out...then weld in a new one if you want. Or just get a locknut and new bolt...good luck. It's always the HARDEST bolt to get to that sticks!

Double_Trouble 04-15-2011 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NHrubicon (Post 1180137)
WD40 is not a penetrant...it's a silicone spray to expell water. Use PB BLaster and try to get underneath the tube-you should see the bolt end sticking out of the welded nuts.
Soak it top and bottom every day for a couple days and see if that helps. Seems to me I remember snapping off a bolt or two rebuilding our YJ and had to drill out the center and use an extractor to get the rest of the bolt out. Not fun. If you were EXPERIENCED with a torch, I'd say get some heat to that nut and expand it while someone reefs on the bolt from above. BUT I can't stress experienced enough...you have fuel line running under there....don't want to burn up your baby! I'd start with a BF hammer and rap that nut to see if you can 'crack' the bolt lose. At the worst-you break the welded nut off and have to cut the bolt right out...then weld in a new one if you want. Or just get a locknut and new bolt...good luck. It's always the HARDEST bolt to get to that sticks!

Thanks- good advice.

I will apply the proper amount of force with a hammer. At least I'll feel better.

All I had was WD and figured WTH, spray the damn thing. I'll check out PBblaster

I'll avoid the torch. Still have the carpet installed.

Thanks WranglerForum.com

Jerry Bransford 04-15-2011 12:19 PM

Those particular bolts are held in place with Locktite so they need a little more force to get them out.

Double_Trouble 04-16-2011 01:58 PM

I went by Harbor Freight and picked up an electric impact wrench.

In a battle of will - I will be victorious. :punk: