Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Coolant leak (2000 TJ 4.0L) (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/coolant-leak-2000-tj-4-0l-89624.html)

colinu 04-16-2011 01:45 PM

Coolant leak (2000 TJ 4.0L)

Folks,

I have a coolant leak - dribbling down from behind the pulleys at the front of the engine (drips hitting the ground at the rate of 1 or 2 per second when the engine is warm... hardly anything when cold). I'm new to Jeeps so wondered if anyone had suggestions of what's wrong before I go ripping stuff apart to investigate. It's hard to tell exactly where it's originating from as the source of the leak seems to be hidden behind one of those pulleys (probably the one directly behind the fan mount... which I guess is the water pump itself???). Doesn't seem to be a bad/split hose, so I'm suspecting it's the water pump that needs replaced.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Colin.

P.S.
If it does turn out to be the pump what's the cost of an OEM replacement? Also how long does it take to replace? Just trying to get an idea if I should do this myself, or get a local garage / Pep Boys to it.

colinu 04-17-2011 08:26 PM

OK, spent today ripping stuff apart :) I called Pep Boys yesterday to guage how much replacing the pump would be... best part of $600!!! So I decided to do it myself. Got a pump, thermostat, gaskets, etc from Napa (yes I know it's not OEM but I needed it today and they were the only ones I could find with a pump in stock).
Was a pretty staight forward job, the only pain-in-the-ass task was removing the fan (eventually "locked" the pump pully with a flat bar between the large fan nut and one of the pully bolts then used a pipe wrench on the fan bolt). Necessity is in deed the mother of invention :)
Job done and the leak seems to be cured... only time and a good hard drive to get her up to temperature with tell for sure.

Blackberry 04-17-2011 08:36 PM

My 2006 did the same thing last year. Yes it was the water pump. If you did a good job on it then you should be fine.

B

Zelix 04-20-2011 08:48 AM

I'm in the same boat here. I have just ordered the parts. I am going to make a photo essay. It just might help out others in the future here. I have done a water pump replacement on my ford exploder by following a photo essay on a ford forum.

BTW: I'm going to replace the fan clutch, both hoses & thermostat while I'm at it.

No reason for the replacing of the other parts other than I'll now know what I have in the JEEP. I'd hate to have a hose go out in a few weeks. :thumb:

Wish me luck.

fire239 04-20-2011 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colinu (Post 1184317)
Got a pump, thermostat, gaskets, etc from Napa (yes I know it's not OEM but I needed it today and they were the only ones I could find with a pump in stock).

Nothing wrong with NAPA parts.....I dont think I've ever gotten a part from the dealer for either of my TJs. Their WIX Gold oil filters are good stuff.

redrokn 04-28-2011 09:34 PM

pump leak

Quote:

Originally Posted by fire239 (Post 1189807)
Nothing wrong with NAPA parts.....I dont think I've ever gotten a part from the dealer for either of my TJs. Their WIX Gold oil filters are good stuff.

keep your eyes open for the plastic radiator leak. i had that problem at 40k miles. when it goes have a rad shop do an all metal. i went with alum.