Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Tj vs jk (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/tj-vs-jk-89707.html)

jrussblues 04-17-2011 01:18 AM

Tj vs jk

Ok, i know this topic has probably been beat to death, but humor me.

I'm currently on jeep #3. First was a 94 yj, second was an 09 jk, and now an 06 lj. That said you probably already know where I stand but I love hearing what you guys have to say on the topic.

My take on it is that the jk was very nice and quite capable in near stock form, but shortly after I got the jk I got an altima coupe as a daily driver. It was then that I realized how car-like the jk was and I found myself never driving it as the altima was more fun. After having the jk for only 10 months I moved on and the fall after that I picked up an lj.

I like working on the lj, I drive it more than my daily driver, and it feels like a jeep.

Thoughts?

Road_House 04-17-2011 01:40 AM

I got a 06 LJ rubicon and love it. I looked at a jk when I bought it and I just felt the jk has to much plastic. I fell the older the jeep the better.

Rogerg 04-17-2011 06:52 AM

Im the opposite...I like my JK alot more.

I have been on trails that my JKU can just cruise up an obstacle with open diff and with my TJ i have to be locked.The only thing the i like about the TJ is i dont high center as much compared to the JK.Mainly because of the wheelbase difference and im armored under there so no worries just annoying.

Now if only i can afford a 2 door JK :rolleyes:

a_springfield 04-17-2011 07:37 AM

it depends on the model of jk
2 door = near jeep
4 door = minivan in jeeps clothing :hide:
tj = jeep
lj = want to be scrambler, still a jeep (I still want one)

jgorm 04-17-2011 10:03 AM

I think JKs are bad ass. I think you only need a 2" lift for 35s. The JK rubicon has a switch to unhook the stabilizer, hill assist, better break over angles, smoother ride, etc. If they made a JK unlimited like the LJ, I would have bought that for sure. The 4 doors are too big and I like the little bit of extra room you get in the LJ.

97wrangler-242 04-17-2011 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a_springfield
it depends on the model of jk
2 door = near jeep
4 door = minivan in jeeps clothing :hide:
tj = jeep
lj = want to be scrambler, still a jeep (I still want one)

:thumb:

cavediverjc 04-17-2011 10:15 AM

Both have their merits offroad and on. It really just depends on what you're wanting to achieve in the long run. I own a TJ, and probably will for a LONG time, but I'd have NO problem buying a JK now that I've seen what they can do offroad. I'd rather have a TJ if I was building a hardcore, dedicated offroader, but some would disagree with me on that. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

KBR97 04-17-2011 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrussblues (Post 1183083)

Thoughts?

Do a search...you'll find everyone's opinion on this same exact topic 25 times...at least. Most of the threads are closed though...for OBVIOUS reasons..:rolleyes:

Barrie 04-17-2011 10:31 AM

I have a 06 LJ and would gladly sell it and buy a JKU. I have followed several around the trails here in Moab, they are just as capable a Jeep as any made to date.

jrussblues 04-17-2011 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KBR97 (Post 1183388)
Do a search...you'll find everyone's opinion on this same exact topic 25 times...at least. Most of the threads are closed though...for OBVIOUS reasons..:rolleyes:

Can't search the forum on my cell phone, and like me you've owned both..so which is it for you?....like I said, humor me...a lot of the posts I've found over time are jk owners that seem to be defending it and tj owners putting them down or vice versa.

On a side note...its nice to see so many other lj's posting.

KBR97 04-17-2011 10:48 AM

Im keeping my JK for daily driving and the TJ is the 4wheeler. Within the next year or so plan on selling/trading the JKU for a full size truck. Something to be used as a tow rig. So more than likely I wont have a daily driven Jeep in the future. Unless I decide to throw some plates on the TJ and drive it around now and then.

I dont think I can fairly compare my TJ to my JKU Rubi...They are both completely different breeds and nothing about them is alike. Apples to Oranges...And I love them both :D

Jerry Bransford 04-17-2011 10:55 AM

I really prefer the TJ simply because I personally think it's a lot easier to work on and mod.

I had a friend's new JK in my garage for 2 days doing a job (installing rock sliders) that would have taken me 2 hours on a TJ. The safety requirements that forced the TJ into retirement are the same requirements that, for me, make it much more difficult to modify. I think I've probably worked on my last JK where installing anything significant goes.

doclouie 04-17-2011 11:18 AM

Not to hijack the thread, but I have never heard about the safety requirements that killed the TJ.

Jerry Bransford 04-17-2011 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doclouie (Post 1183472)
Not to hijack the thread, but I have never heard about the safety requirements that killed the TJ.

Yep, 'tis true. Things like side impact and airbag (especially side airbag) requirements that the TJ couldn't be upgraded to pass. Plus the 4.0L was long past its ability to keep up with the ever-increasing fuel economy and smog requirements the EPA was demanding.

jrussblues 04-17-2011 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 1183480)
Yep, 'tis true. Things like side impact and airbag (especially side airbag) requirements that the TJ couldn't be upgraded to pass. Plus the 4.0L was long past its ability to keep up with the ever-increasing fuel economy and smog requirements the EPA was demanding.

The big thing I remember reading about that was released from chrysler was gas tank safety due to the narrower stance of the tj...all in all it had run its course and it was time to redesign the model. I also remember how sensitive jeep was to the idea that tjers might not like the changes. There was a lot of press about this when they first came out.

Im surprised to hear that nobody has pointed out that they would pick a jk because of the hidden storage behind the rear seat...we have to have some drug runners out there...ha.

When I bought my jk the salesman told me about a guy he sold a jk to that was very shortly after incarcerated for trying to hide a kiki of cocaine in there...what an idiot.

Gary2 04-17-2011 11:50 AM

For a long time I have been thinking about trading in the Ram for a 2dr JK and selling the TJ to generate plenty of money to doctor up the JK . Just don't know if I want to be without a pick up ,we already have 3 SUVs a car and only one pick up now

jrussblues 04-17-2011 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary2 (Post 1183511)
For a long time I have been thinking about trading in the Ram for a 2dr JK and selling the TJ to generate plenty of money to doctor up the JK . Just don't know if I want to be without a pick up ,we already have 3 SUVs a car and only one pick up now

Easy fix, get rid of one of the suv's

ESP 04-17-2011 11:55 AM

ZZZZzzzzzz.......

jrussblues 04-17-2011 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ESP123 (Post 1183526)
ZZZZzzzzzz.......

That's exactly how I felt about my jk. Nice job capturing the essence.

ESP 04-17-2011 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrussblues (Post 1183542)
That's exactly how I felt about my jk. Nice job capturing the essence.

ZZZZzzzzzz.......

Scoob 04-17-2011 12:25 PM

I have stayed away from the JK for just 2 reason.

1. The mini van engine. Why they put such a pos in a jeep was beyond me. I can see updating the engine and even going with a v6. But the 3.8 was a horrible choice. It has alow hp, very narrow power band and its high in the rpm range. Exactly the opposite that you would want to crawl over things.

2. All the electronic crap. Tire pressure sensors, steering sensors, electronic throttle, and many many more.
Hand throttle on a TJ $15, hand throttle for a JK $250.00

In a JK you are a passenger to the electronics, even wile in the drivers seat. It drives you, you don't drive it.

Even with all that, if they put the 280 hp pentastar engine in a 2 door wrangler. It would make me look REAL HARD at trading in the 06 rubi for a 12 rubi.

pokey 04-17-2011 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogerg (Post 1183150)
I have been on trails that my JKU can just cruise up an obstacle with open diff and with my TJ i have to be locked.
:

Not my TJ :D

jrussblues 04-17-2011 01:56 PM

Another interesting fact I learned is that jk frames are made by hyundai. Jeff bridges approves of hyundai and he was pretty tough in true grit...

Scoob 04-17-2011 02:10 PM

To Jerry's point about working on them is also exactly right.
To adjust the steering wheel in a TJ its 1 wrench and 2 minutes of work.
With a JK its a whole nother animal requiring 2 people, allot of adjustments and and a box to hook up to the computer is recommended.

A tj with a misadjusted drag link simply means the steering wheel isn't centered.
A JK with a misadjusted drag link means the computer is going to take over and apply the brakes. With all its wonderful sensors it thinks you are in danger of tipping over so its going to slow you down while you turn.

stangmata 04-17-2011 02:15 PM

The engine in the JK is not up to snuff and it is why I didn't buy one. I was very close to buying a 4-door JK, but for the price that I was going to have to pay, i wanted more power for x-country trips and daily driving (it was going to be my wife's DD). Instead, we got a Dodge ram for $5K less...I couldn't pass that up.

2 years later the Jeep bug bit again and I got an LJ Rubicon. The 4.0L is no power house, but my Jeep gets me back and forth to work and gets wheeled...so power isn't an issue. I'm also 6'4 and while the shoulder room in a TJ is not as nice as a JK, i do feel that I am more comfortable in a TJ because there isn't that massive center dash bezel poking me in the knee.

Both certainly have their perks. My bud just bought a JK Rubi and it's nice. Fully loaded with all of the bells and whistles. I wouldn't be ashamed to own it, but I do prefer my LJ.

jkaufman_95 04-17-2011 02:24 PM

I know a guy that just traded for a jk 2 door an he goes dang it's no I6. He said he can tell it's not as powerful.

Steve Loves Jeeps 04-17-2011 03:08 PM

The new JK's just seem too high tech for me. I love how simple my TJ is. The JK just feels like a regular SUV and not a Jeep.

rbloodhound 04-17-2011 03:46 PM

I looked at both before I bought mo 05 LJ. The price was right on my LJ. Not to mention it already had every thing that I wanted.

Now if they would put a v8 in the jk I would want one.

Rogerg 04-17-2011 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scoob (Post 1183724)
To Jerry's point about working on them is also exactly right.
To adjust the steering wheel in a TJ its 1 wrench and 2 minutes of work.
With a JK its a whole nother animal requiring 2 people, allot of adjustments and and a box to hook up to the computer is recommended.

Is this a JK Rubicon you speak of? I have re centered my steering wheel many times and its exactly the same as a TJ and surely dont take 2 guys and more than 2 minutes.

BLK00TJ 04-17-2011 08:40 PM

:deadhorse: