Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Adjustable CA needed for SYE and CV drive? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/adjustable-ca-needed-for-sye-and-cv-drive-90707.html)

GoldenSahara00 04-23-2011 09:49 PM

Adjustable CA needed for SYE and CV drive?

so, I think it would be nice to get an sye and cv shaft so I can take off my tcase lowering kit. Ive had it on for about 8 hours, and while Its not horrible, I still dont like it. It also is causing my fan to hit the shroud and cause an annoying noise, and I dont like the idea of my engine being shifted because I moved the tcase... so anyways. I want to go the fun way and eventually do the low clearance skid and all that. my question is, I have read that I need at least one set of adjustable control arms, Im assuming rear. to run a sye and cv drive shaft. is this true, and why? just trying to figure this out. thanks

SilverTJMike 04-23-2011 09:59 PM

You need adjustable upper control arms in the rear. With a sye installed you need a new drive shaft. To avoid driveline vibrations the rear pinion is pointed up at the new rear yoke. To adjust the angle you need adjustable rear uppers. Once it's in adjusted you measure from yoke to yoke and order the driveshaft.

I recommend rokmen, the have great upper control arms and can get you the sye and Tom woods shaft as well.

UnlimitedLJ04 04-23-2011 10:45 PM

yup. you need adjustable uppers if you intend to keep your lowers the same.

you need to adjust the pinion somehow...thats either adjustable uppers that go longer than stock, or adjustable lowers that go shorter than stock.

GoldenSahara00 04-23-2011 10:54 PM

Okay. and I understood most of that before, but just dont understand why you need 3 expensive parts just to do it all. haha. so there is no way to eliminate the tcase drop without gettin all three of those. I know prices for a DS are 400+ and a sye are 200+, and the CAs are probably in the 3-4 range but I havent looked. looks like I might want to save up.

SilverTJMike 04-23-2011 11:00 PM

Yep, about 600 for the sye/drive shaft combo. Maybe less depends what you go with. 300 for the rokmen arms. You get what you pay for generally. Worth saving for, tcase drops are just wrong!

UnlimitedLJ04 04-23-2011 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenSahara00 (Post 1197761)
Okay. and I understood most of that before, but just dont understand why you need 3 expensive parts just to do it all. haha. so there is no way to eliminate the tcase drop without gettin all three of those. I know prices for a DS are 400+ and a sye are 200+, and the CAs are probably in the 3-4 range but I havent looked. looks like I might want to save up.

DS's are about $300. SYE's are about $180-250 depending what style you get. CA's are about $250 for a nice set or Rokmens.

this should answer most of your questions:
What is a CV shaft and why do I want one? - JeepForum.com

2003x 04-23-2011 11:10 PM

Not sure what your budget is, but Rough Country makes rear upper adjustable for $180. I have had them for about 6 months, no issues.

GoldenSahara00 04-23-2011 11:12 PM

Ive actually already read that, but granted most of my reading is done late at night I dont always retain it all ;) ill probably give it another once over sometime soon. I know they are wrong but it doesnt look as bad as I expected. I will save up but I make about 250 every two weeks part time and I can only save probably 100-150 of it. so about a month and a half and I could afford it I guess, haha. for now I have to relocate my fan shroud tomorrow morning....

I thought the tcase drop would be the easiest part of the whole deal. it took me 17 minutes to do it. I went to start my engine and thought that the world was ending or something, the noise was so horrible. too about 10 seconds once I popped the hood to figure out it was my shroud, 10 more to shut the engine off and get my knife out, and 10 more to realise that shaving plastic off wasnt going to cut it. so more work.

thursday I spent 8-10 at night working on the front and starting the rear and on friday It took me 8-4. so 22 hours total to do the lift which was supposed to take 8 at the most. I have probably the most problems with this than I have had with any other mod Ive done. being 17 and this being my first lift didnt speed the process exactly though.

okay done ranting, thank you guys for your help and info. gona go do some reading and some budgeting stuff.

GoldenSahara00 04-23-2011 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2003x (Post 1197794)
Not sure what your budget is, but Rough Country makes rear upper adjustable for $180. I have had them for about 6 months, no issues.

why only 6 months? haha. my budget is better now that im working, but not huge.

2003x 04-23-2011 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenSahara00 (Post 1197800)
why only 6 months? haha. my budget is better now that im working, but not huge.

I am getting RC's Long Arm installed on friday :thumb:

GoldenSahara00 04-23-2011 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2003x (Post 1197804)
I am getting RC's Long Arm installed on friday :thumb:

Lucky S.O.B.... :thumb:
Enjoy!