Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Everyone who complains about the 3.8 not having enough power... (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/everyone-who-complains-about-the-3-8-not-having-enough-power-91137.html)

Thracks 04-26-2011 07:44 PM

Everyone who complains about the 3.8 not having enough power...

...should have got the 6-speed.

Anyone else agree?

j33pZ 04-26-2011 07:46 PM

I guess I agree...?

I have an auto and it has plenty. But then again, my previous car was not a camaro.

rics1997 04-26-2011 07:50 PM

no, disabled vet. Can't drive a manual anymore because of injury. But then again, I don't complain about pwr.

monkers 04-26-2011 07:53 PM

I have the 6 speed, 2 door Rubicon, 2010, its no ball of fire, but then again, I didnt buy it to race, what little off roading Ive done so far has been fairly slow, I have the stock BFG tires, maybe if I put 35s on it I would be less pleased....its ok for now....

DANIMAL 04-26-2011 07:56 PM

I can agree, but I will also say that I have never driven a Wrangler with an auto trans. My JK has a manual and so did my TJ.

I will say that I do not have any trouble getting mine to go. I do take it easy lately though with the gas prices as they are.

nvkid 04-26-2011 08:31 PM

My auto hauls buns.

daedalus 04-26-2011 08:35 PM

I have a '10 Rubi 2dr 6spd. Considering it's a purpose built offroad vehicle, I think the power is fine.

However a few of my passengers (they know nothing about Jeeps) have asked why I drive so slow. I told them it depends on what I'm driving.

My other vehicle is a high powered motorcycle which will quickly launch me into triple digit speeds with a flick of the wrist. Horses for courses as they say.

SylvanSahara 04-26-2011 08:45 PM

my truck i replaced w/ the Wrangler was an '08 Trailblazer SS AWD that had 390Hp and not only hauled stuff but hauled A$$, it also only got 14mpg in the city driving very light footed(most of my friends that had'em got 9-10mpg inthe city). My summer sports car is an '03 SRT-10 Viper that has 550hp v-10(that just happened to get better mpg on the freeway than the TBSS) that i use on the road course track. Even compared to those two i am perfectly happy w/ the power of my new Wrangler.

MTH 04-26-2011 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thracks

Anyone else agree?

Agree--sort of.

First qualification is the person needs to be a complainer. I got no beef with anyone who is not complaining. Second qualification is they must not have a good reason to be driving an auto. Rick is a good example here. Third and finally, they must acknowledge that it ain't just the engine. The autos need to go regear and superchip/procal, then satisfy the prior two qualifications, and then I'll hear complaints.

Sorry, I'm a lawyer. Can't help thinking this way.

joe002 04-26-2011 09:14 PM

I have an auto and no lack of power with my 35s, but then again I do have 5.38s. :) I donít think you need some chip engine tuner if you have (can get) the correct gears.

cremaley 04-27-2011 06:46 AM

When I bought my 2010 Wrangler Sport, I drove the automatic and the manual. I liked the idea that I could control the RPM's with the manual so I bought it. After going with Khumo 33 x 12.5 tires on 17 x9 inch wheels, I decided to install a CAI kit, Superchips Flashpaq and MBPR perfromance exhausts. It's not a drag car but , for what I use it for, the power is just fine.

snax 04-27-2011 07:51 AM

It didn't bother me too much till I took a long road trip. The lack of power gets annoying on the highway (and can also be unsafe at times). But I remind myself that I am driving one really cool vehicle!

ksuflash 04-27-2011 08:06 AM

I came from a GMC Envoy V8. Got the 2011 Wrangler Sahara the other day. Power is less but I as well am in no hurry to get to my destination. I am just enjoying the ride even if it takes me a few minutes longer to get there.

Steve Thomas 04-27-2011 08:39 AM

3.8 and power

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thracks (Post 1203766)

Anyone else agree?

My other car is a Prius.

When you drive those, you learn that jackrabbit starts and stops are counterproductive, so I don't mind the slow acceleration.

On the other hand, I've learned that if you put the pedal to the metal and leave it there, my jeep takes off like a rocket. And if you leave it there, a whole 'nother gear kicks in.

Steve Thomas

RaiderRUBICON 04-27-2011 09:01 AM

This is my take, I believe people tend to complain now more than ever is because, Jeeps Wrangler's competition is increasing Hp or has had more HP over the last 3 or 4 years now.And lets face it, 202 HP is not going to cut the mustard for most ,in 2011.Also. based on Power/weight ratio the Wrangler is clearly under powered.

The good news is ,Chrysler is stepping up. At least it appears that way, 290 HP sounds perfect for a vehicle like this,but we will see.

The Wrangler is under powered, I don't think that is really debatable.Another good approach ,for Chrysler, would be to try to make the Wrangler lighter if possible. Doesn't the Wrangler have a cast iron block??That might be a good start ,replace it with an aluminum block.I'm not a mechanic,I'm just throwing things out there :). Body weight is the enemy of all cars.

AJ:)

ChaseRedJK 04-27-2011 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thracks (Post 1203766)

Anyone else agree?

I agree 100% man! :punk:

rapidmallard 04-27-2011 09:42 AM

I have a 6 speed, and everything is relative to what you're accustomed to driving. My other vehicle is a bone stock 4 cylinder Honda CRV automatic, and on the highway, my Wrangler suffers in comparison.

I didn't buy my Jeep with the expectation that it would be a performance vehicle, but it does suck having to constantly shift to maintain a reasonable highway speed with the slightest change in grade. Sure, I could rearrange the powerband with gearing changes.

Would I trade my Jeep for anything else? Hell no. Would I enjoy some more power? Of course.

Mr. Sinister 04-27-2011 09:43 AM

I get around just fine in my auto-equipped JK. This includes highway driving, twisty, hilly backroad driving, stop and go, whatever. Yeah, you gotta kick it out of OD to pull up inclines, but you have to do that in a LOT of vehicles. The Wrangler is unique. It's not the V8 truck you used to have. It's not the sports car you used to have. It's designed, engineered and sold to go off-road, and do it better than just about anything else, and everything else in the price range. Why on Earth would you buy a vehicle if you just can't stand how "underpowered" it is? Did you not test drive it? Did you not do ANY research? Have factory stock Wranglers EVER been fast? Even the old V8 CJ was slow. I just don't see how people can complain, when there is NO excuse for not knowing what you were getting. It's not like Jeep lied about the power output. It's not like the 3.8 loses power as soon as you buy it. Acceleration has ALWAYS been a trade-off for capability on a Jeep. I doubt the new V6 will help this a whole lot, either. Would more power benefit the Wrangler? Definitely. Nobody is debating that. It just seems to me that people do more complaining about what their Jeep can't do than praising what it can do. In my humble opinion, that sounds an awful lot like those folks bought their Jeep more for style than substance. Feel free to disagree, but you're not changing my mind on this. I know what power feels like. I've owned daily driven cars that would run 11 second 1/4 miles. I own a hotrod that will go like stink when I want it to. My Jeep is my daily driver and it does exactly what I need it to. If the Wrangler's power is a problem for someone, perhaps that someone needs to rethink their purchase and driving habits.

desertgoose 04-27-2011 09:50 AM

I still have the stock 3.73's with auto trans and 33" tires. I'm content with the power, just passed a semi into a headwind yesterday. If I feel the need for speed I'll just take my bike to the track. My last truck had a V8, and before that I had a 200 hp Neon. This is by far the most I've enjoyed driving. I took the auto because I got a great deal and plan on this to be my daughters first vehicle in 8 years.

ChaseRedJK 04-27-2011 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by desertgoose (Post 1204841)
I still have the stock 3.73's with auto trans and 33" tires. I'm content with the power, just passed a semi into a headwind yesterday. If I feel the need for speed I'll just take my bike to the track. My last truck had a V8, and before that I had a 200 hp Neon. This is by far the most I've enjoyed driving. I took the auto because I got a great deal and plan on this to be my daughters first vehicle in 8 years.

You got the same setup that I've got. I haven't actually calculated my gear ratio but it started out 3.73 and w/ the 33's I predict something like 3.40's somethin.. I dunno I'm not expert lol

RaiderRUBICON 04-27-2011 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Sinister (Post 1204823)
I get around just fine in my auto-equipped JK. This includes highway driving, twisty, hilly backroad driving, stop and go, whatever. Yeah, you gotta kick it out of OD to pull up inclines, but you have to do that in a LOT of vehicles. The Wrangler is unique. It's not the V8 truck you used to have. It's not the sports car you used to have. It's designed, engineered and sold to go off-road, and do it better than just about anything else, and everything else in the price range. Why on Earth would you buy a vehicle if you just can't stand how "underpowered" it is? Did you not test drive it? Did you not do ANY research? Have factory stock Wranglers EVER been fast? Even the old V8 CJ was slow. I just don't see how people can complain, when there is NO excuse for not knowing what you were getting. It's not like Jeep lied about the power output. It's not like the 3.8 loses power as soon as you buy it. Acceleration has ALWAYS been a trade-off for capability on a Jeep. I doubt the new V6 will help this a whole lot, either. Would more power benefit the Wrangler? Definitely. Nobody is debating that. It just seems to me that people do more complaining about what their Jeep can't do than praising what it can do. In my humble opinion, that sounds an awful lot like those folks bought their Jeep more for style than substance. Feel free to disagree, but you're not changing my mind on this. I know what power feels like. I've owned daily driven cars that would run 11 second 1/4 miles. I own a hotrod that will go like stink when I want it to. My Jeep is my daily driver and it does exactly what I need it to. If the Wrangler's power is a problem for someone, perhaps that someone needs to rethink their purchase and driving habits.

I'm just thankful that Chrysler disagrees with you.:) Chrysler believes the Wrangler is underpowered also.
People buy Jeep Wranglers for "style" ????

Contentment is a killer of progress.

FlyinJeeps 04-27-2011 10:23 AM

in 4 low I've got what, 7100 horsepower going to four wheels? how could I complain??!

JeepDen 04-27-2011 10:33 AM

Retire the 4-speed auto, move up to a modern 6/7-Speed Automatic mated to a Diesel and I'm a happy camper... All the power and performance needed in a Wrangler. Are you listening Chrysler & Fiat?

Avalon786 04-27-2011 10:37 AM

I agree. I like the 6 speed. Sure I still wont win many drag races but at least it seems quick :D My first car is a Toyota Avalon v6 with about 200 horses and its a bit quicker. My other ride is a Yamaha FZ6, 0-60 in about 3.5 :whistling: I understand the jeep is built for off road. I am amazed how smooth the ride actually is. I am happy with its accel. If I wanted speed I would have went with a trailblazer SS which I have driven a few times!

nvkid 04-27-2011 10:38 AM

:popcorn:Plenty of power where it counts......4 WHEEL DRIVE.

ChaseRedJK 04-27-2011 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avalon786 (Post 1204913)
I agree. I like the 6 speed. Sure I still wont win many drag races but at least it seems quick :D My first car is a Toyota Avalon v6 with about 200 horses and its a bit quicker. My other ride is a Yamaha FZ6, 0-60 in about 3.5 :whistling: I understand the jeep is built for off road. I am amazed how smooth the ride actually is. I am happy with its accel. If I wanted speed I would have went with a trailblazer SS which I have driven a few times!

Why would you drive a trailblazer when you could have an SRT8 Grand Cherokee??

daggo66 04-27-2011 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaiderRUBICON (Post 1204865)
I'm just thankful that Chrysler disagrees with you.:) Chrysler believes the Wrangler is underpowered also.

Actually they don't. If they did, they wouldn't have changed from standard 4.10 gearing on '07 automatics to 3.21. They were much more concerned with MPG.

They are not switching to the 3.6 to add more "power" to the Wrangler. They are switching so that they can build 1 6 cylinder engine instead of 5 (3.8, 3.7, 3.5, I6 4.0, and V6 4.0)

Mr. Sinister 04-27-2011 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaiderRUBICON (Post 1204865)

I'll quote myself:
"Would more power benefit the Wrangler? Definitely. Nobody is debating that."
And yes, people do buy a Wrangler for the look. Just like Hummers, Corvettes, Mustangs, etc etc, and never use them for their intended purpose. More power to those folks, but it's tough to take the complaints of those people seriously. I have yet to run into a scenario where I NEED more power. If you do, you're not living within the capabilities of your vehicle. If you do need more power, you should spend the money on your vehicle where it needs it in your particular case. Ripp, AEV and others have just the ticket. Jeep is going to sell the hell out of Wranglers either way.
Progress can be just as detrimental to the enthusiast as stagnation. Look at how complicated vehicles are now. Look how expensive they are because of it. And highway deaths continue to happen. Look at the horsepower wars from the 60's and what happened when the insurance companies and the federal government stepped in. It took damn near 30 years to fully recover. Horsepower has always cost money. But "progress" is making horsepower unaffordable for the masses, and you can bank on that.

daggo66 04-27-2011 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Sinister (Post 1204939)
I'll quote myself:
"Would more power benefit the Wrangler? Definitely. Nobody is debating that."

Exactly. The 3.6 is going to be great for the Wrangler. That doesn't mean the 3.8 is suddenly worthless.

KSCRUDE 04-27-2011 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snax (Post 1204609)
It didn't bother me too much till I took a long road trip. The lack of power gets annoying on the highway (and can also be unsafe at times). But I remind myself that I am driving one really cool vehicle!

I bought mine primarily for long jaunts, and to set for weeks at airports. It does great on the highway with cruise set at 70 or 77 mph. Will climb fairly steep long grades without downshifting. When it does downshift it is so smooth and seamless you barely notice. The only thing I would like is the 410 gears as they might help a little over the 373 gears
that jeep puts in their so called tow package. What a joke the tow package is. If you order a tow package in a ford you also get a external trany cooler, oh and your choice of 355, 373, 410, or even 430 gear ratio. Jeep hangs a hitch on the frame crossbar and puts a lame 4 flat plug back there. I almost got the rubi just for the 410 gear ratio, but didn't like the tires, and the lack of a limited slip rearend. The lockers only function in 4 low I am told and that's not very useful to me. Even when I plow snow with my SD Ford, I never use 4 low as it's to low and not needed. I hope the new pentastar has at least 290 HP and not 270 or so as the jeep could use more. I am afraid that going down to 3.6 litters you will loose some of the low end torque that is nice to have. The 3.6 Jesus motor may not be the beast a lot of people are making it out to be. If it only had a turbo, I might be more inclined to trade my 11 wrangler off on one. Just another mini van engine it looks like to me.