Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Power steering/ Steering upgrade (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/power-steering-steering-upgrade-91150.html)

CJS98TJ 04-26-2011 08:40 PM

Power steering/ Steering upgrade

So on top of having to replace my heater core this weekend I'm going to replace power steering pump because it is leaking pretty good. Are there better power steering pumps I can replace mine with by directly bolting in? maybe from another vehicle? I'm thinking of doing a steering upgrade along with it to help preserve my steering. Is the WJ upgrade a direct bolt in ? If so what year/engine size etc.? Is it worth it? Do you guys have any suggestions on aftermarket companies with heavy duty steering upgrade kits that are good/strong/reliable? I have 33 inch open country's with stock steering so it's time for an upgrade. Thanks for the help I'm really trying to get everything ready and properly fixed for summer.

05wrangler 04-26-2011 08:45 PM

x2

CJS98TJ 04-26-2011 08:46 PM

Oh and please post anything else you think I'll need or should replace along with what is stated above.

jgorm 04-27-2011 09:35 AM

The WJ is not a direct bolt in and requires a fair bit of work. I think some guys swap in the durrango steering box.

CJS98TJ 04-27-2011 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgorm
The WJ is not a direct bolt in and requires a fair bit of work. I think some guys swap in the durrango steering box.

Sorry I need to correct my self I mean to say ZJ form what I'm reading it's seems like an easy job but not sure. The 4 Wheel Parts said it would be best to upgrade power steering pump to the HD AGR pump even if I didn't upgrade the tie rod and drag link just so I don't keep going through pumps. The guy there talked highly and recommended the Currie setup. So my focus is on that now haha. Worst comes to worst I can do the ZJ tie rod for now and upgrade to currie later.

Kragen said 72 + 50 core charge for the replacement pump.

AGR pump is 171.99 for 4 wheel parts (Maybe cheaper online but I'm not sure of that), but he didn't say anything about a core charge or anything. So If anyone don't mind explaining.

redrokn 04-28-2011 08:57 PM

steering pump

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJS98TJ (Post 1203896)
So on top of having to replace my heater core this weekend I'm going to replace power steering pump because it is leaking pretty good. Are there better power steering pumps I can replace mine with by directly bolting in? maybe from another vehicle? I'm thinking of doing a steering upgrade along with it to help preserve my steering. Is the WJ upgrade a direct bolt in ? If so what year/engine size etc.? Is it worth it? Do you guys have any suggestions on aftermarket companies with heavy duty steering upgrade kits that are good/strong/reliable? I have 33 inch open country's with stock steering so it's time for an upgrade. Thanks for the help I'm really trying to get everything ready and properly fixed for summer.

both of my sons changed to a pump from a zj, i dont know what year. you might look into that. i upgraded to an agr box and pump but it was necessary due to the addition of a hydroboost brake system. its expensive and a lot of pump just for steering.

CJS98TJ 04-28-2011 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redrokn
both of my sons changed to a pump from a zj, i dont know what year. you might look into that. i upgraded to an agr box and pump but it was necessary due to the addition of a hydroboost brake system. its expensive and a lot of pump just for steering.

Did they notice a difference with the ZJ pump? It's it supposed to be more reliable/durable than the stock TJ ?

Just curious what box did you pick up from AGR? Seems like upgrading to their pump and box would be very nice. But that's a lot of cash to drop right now haha. I may just deal with a replacement pump again but I will look into the ZJ pump as you stated above. Thanks!