Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   1993 Wrangler with soft clutch pedal (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/1993-wrangler-with-soft-clutch-pedal-91457.html)

Designllc 04-28-2011 09:14 PM

1993 Wrangler with soft clutch pedal

Hello - last week all clutch related parts were changed using Chrysler parts. The clutch pedal is now softer than when the jeep was new - the mechanic told me that the system is a closed system and the clutch pedal pressure can not be adjusted. Is there a way to increase clutch pedal pressure or is the mechanic correct ? thanks

turdhurdler 04-28-2011 10:21 PM

First, welcome to the forum.

I am not an expert on clutches, but I do know that when I used to have a 60 VW Bug, I put in a heavy duty pressure plate that made the pedal very hard. Was actually a big pitfall in stop and go traffic cause my leg would cramp up.

I am assuming that since you said the clutch is softer than when new, you have had your YJ since new. Did the service tech replace the fluid in the reservoir and bleed the system? Is the reservoir full? Just a couple of things to look for. Good luck.

Jeff

MellowYellow89YJ 04-28-2011 11:07 PM

On a 93, the master and slave come from Jeep as a sealed system that does not need bled. You can use aftermarket parts that are not a sealed system, but you specified Chrystler parts were used. The other factor is the pressure plate. When I recently installed a new clutch, the new pressure plate's springs did not seem as firm as the one that I had removed, and the pedal is a tiny bit softer. To me, the most important thing is the rate at which the clutch will engage/disengage when letting in/out the pedal. A softer pressure plate is only a factor in hook-up, if it were a race car and not a Jeep, I'd certainly want something a bit firmer.

My question is... Does the clutch engage properly? If so and you just want it firmer, I have heard of guys putting in a stiffer pedal spring. This could be why it feels softer than new, you have a spring that has run a few million cycles and is getting worn out.

turdhurdler 04-29-2011 12:36 AM

Cool Mellow, I did not know that about the sealed system. Great info for future use.

Jeff

Designllc 05-02-2011 09:55 AM

1993 Wrangler soft clutch

Thanks for the prompt reply -- the clutch seems to engage properly --
either it adjusted itself or I am getting used to the new softer pedal --- but it seems somewhat firmer now. I will look into the pedal spring and an
inexpensive upgrade

Quote:

Originally Posted by MellowYellow89YJ (Post 1208987)
On a 93, the master and slave come from Jeep as a sealed system that does not need bled. You can use aftermarket parts that are not a sealed system, but you specified Chrystler parts were used. The other factor is the pressure plate. When I recently installed a new clutch, the new pressure plate's springs did not seem as firm as the one that I had removed, and the pedal is a tiny bit softer. To me, the most important thing is the rate at which the clutch will engage/disengage when letting in/out the pedal. A softer pressure plate is only a factor in hook-up, if it were a race car and not a Jeep, I'd certainly want something a bit firmer.

My question is... Does the clutch engage properly? If so and you just want it firmer, I have heard of guys putting in a stiffer pedal spring. This could be why it feels softer than new, you have a spring that has run a few million cycles and is getting worn out.