Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Hella 500 Install HELP!!!! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/hella-500-install-help-91597.html)

BlueHoseJeep75 04-29-2011 09:10 PM

Hella 500 Install HELP!!!!

alright everyone, I just recently recieved some Hella 500 lights as a gift. I have never done anything like this before and do not even know where to start. Im even having a hard time reading the page of random lines. Can anyone "shed some light" on this topic. (bad joke i know) any type of help would be much appeciated.

s3nt3nc3d 04-29-2011 10:08 PM

Find a diagram and use it to help with the wiring...the directions are a joke...I understand basic electronics and schematics and their directions had me scratching my head.

Basically what you want to do... run a wire from the battery to the coil on the relay. On the other side of the coil, run a wire from it to the switch, then from the opposite side of the switch to a good ground point.

From there...run a wire from the hot lead of the lights to one side of the "switch" on the relay. Then from the other side of the switch, run a wire from there to the battery. Then ground each light separately to a nearby bolt (grind off any rust and get a good bare metal ground).

Instead of using the switch provided with my kit to power my lights, I tapped off my high beam wire...so whenever my high beams turn on, it kicks my Hella 500's on. The only drawback to this is that I can't run them with my low beams, but if there's any oncoming traffic, you can't run them anyway so I really don't miss out much.

I did keep my switch in there so I can turn the lights off separately...I just can ONLY turn them on with my highbeams.

I'm sure I didn't make that much easier for you to understand, but when you see a basic schematic, it's really quite simple.

Richd1963 05-01-2011 10:45 AM

My Hella's came with a wiring diagram. Although, I wired them in to be controlled by the factory fog light switch. I just installed a homemade harness and relay yesterday. I gave the Hella relay and harness to the guy who bought my factory Hella fog lights.

nu arty boy 05-01-2011 03:50 PM

If you have factory fog lights just cut the wires going to your factory lights and solder the wires for the new lights to the factory wiring harness. Make sure that you heat shrink the connection so you don't get dirt or water in there.

Richd1963 05-01-2011 05:07 PM

The factory jeep lights have skimpy wiring. I don't believe it would be sufficient for higher wattage bulbs. The factory fog lights used to dim at low idle also. I am hoping that supplying power directly from the battery with a 12ga. wire will resolve the dimming issues and supply enough amperage to power up to 100 watt bulbs.

nu arty boy 05-01-2011 05:12 PM

Hella 500s have 55w bulbs. The stock wiring will be perfectly fine.

Richd1963 05-01-2011 05:16 PM

I figured that, although they did dim with the factory wiring. I just made the change yesterday and haven't tried it out yet to see if I eliminated the dimming. Also. I was more concerned if I up the wattage in the bulbs to like 100 watts. Thanks.