Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Project Seccond Chance

2K views 3 replies 1 participant last post by  Irongrave 
#1 ·
One of the other projects that eats a lot of my time. Helping a friend build a Buggy/truggy off a 1984 Toyota Pick up.

Little back ground on the truck from what we have been able to put together.

its a 1984 single cab 22R with a 5 speed it was sold new in NJ. Our best guess is that it was driven hard for about 26,000 when it was rolled. our guess is some time in 1985 or early 86. It sat in NJ then was moved to Florida at some point inside a shipping container. Spent at least the next 10 years in Florida. From there it moved to long island where a the drunken father of my buddies friend started working on it. He cut the damages cab roof off and tack welded a new section on along with getting new sheet metal for the doors hood and fenders. along with who knows what else he bought and threw in the bed. It also got a rancho lift on it. blocks crappy shocks and leafs. Eventually my buddy saw the truck one night and asked how much for the toyota pick up. The old man was like $1000 and take it away. So he did and that got us to the starting point.

this has not rolled over that's the actual milage on this rig

With the stating point we went to work. first we pulled the bed and trailer hitch and sold them for $450 to some locals. next up we replaced all the fluids and hooked up a battery and all the electronics came to life. We decided not to mess with the carb or gas tank as it was going to be more problems then it was worth.

A plan and $$ were needed so we decided to the the stock to stupid route and build it into a buggy. he sold his nice ocean fishing boat to fund the project.

So the first major work was to install a Got Propane Kit. Very simple install for 2 guys who have never done propane before.

first time running in 25 years

YouTube - 1984 Toyota Test Run

We also decided that the cab was hopeless to fix so we went to a local wrecking yard and picked up a C4C 86 cab for it

Next step was to get all the parts we needed to rebuild the suspension. A call to All Pro Offroad fixed that. Ended up with 5.5 leafs new hangers and shackels along with some nice long travel bilstien shocks and shock hoops. Also picked up a nice new Miller 220v welder.

pile of parts

See less See more
#2 ·
Now it was time to get to the real work. a three day wrench weekend with the owner Adam, myself and a union welder we both know.

Got the dash taken aprat and labeled EVERYTHING.

Got the cab off

Only rust on the vehicle I found so far was surface rust on top of the OEM paint from the cab.

We were very pleased.

Got her into the garage.

Started wiping it down and DAMMIT! We found rust...just kidding. decided to prime the frame

After that we bedlined the frame and started taking apart the rear suspension.

Blocks FTMFW!

Had to torch that side out.

Trucks naked!

Eddie waited patiently for the Dominos delivery guy to show up becasue he loved the last guy who came. Delivery guy was SCARED when he showed up. Haha.

Rear leafs went in! All-Pro shorted us a set of bushings and bolts so we had to set up a quick fix for now.

BEEFY shackles...yes those are Rancho bushings...for now.

I guess I forgot to take pictures when we were doing the front so Ill get some today but here is the truck as she stands now. It is TALL! If we did the lift with the cab on, it would not be able to get out of the garage. When it was all said and done we moved the wheel base forward 4 inches front and rear. We have it set at 104 perfect for the east coast with 37s. suspension phase 1 done

#3 ·
Took us a whole after that but got the new cab swapped on and started working on the steering

Truck

Motor

New back glass

Decals on the drivers side, I got him the BNB sticker for his birthday. LINXC is a club we are both in because we both had Nissan trucks as DD when we met.

#4 ·
We got a lock right installed in the rear axle along with a set of re centered HUMVEE wheels and 37in tires.

Also picked up some of the parts for the front grill so it looks more like a truck again

We got the new power steering box installed and finally got the high steering finished up and working, then we got a nice new truss installed on the front axle, along with getting the front shocks in; lower tabs welded on and upper shock hoops welded in.

Few photos

The guy I'm building the rig with is a student at Mass Maritime and he's going to me a marine engineer and we going to put this logo somewhere when were done

YouTube - Adam's truggy starting

YouTube - Adam's truggy drive by

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.