Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   99 wrangler 2011 wheels and tires?? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/99-wrangler-2011-wheels-and-tires-92070.html)

k8someday 05-03-2011 08:58 AM

99 wrangler 2011 wheels and tires??

Hello, this is my first post here. I just got a new to me 99 jeep wrangler 4cly 5-speed. I saw a local add on craig'slist for a set of new take off 2011 wrangler rims and tires. I went to put the wheels on and they will not fit my bolt pattern. (my pattern is smaller than new wheels) I have found adapters that space wheels out 1.25" but am unsure which pattern I need? Also any other info needed to swap the stock 15" rims and tires to the newer 18" rims and tires. They appear about 3-4 inches taller overall, so I am hoping I will not have any rubbing issues?

Thanks for your time and helping a newbie Jeep chic out! :)

Peepers 05-03-2011 09:11 AM

I believe we have a 5 x 4.5" hub and the Jks have a 5 x 5" hub. Also the stock tires on the 2011 are about 32" if I recall, and you will want a lift to run tires that big, or be prepaired to almost never take your jeep off-road. 31" is the maximum recomended for a non lifted TJ, and you will probably rub your fenders at flex with those tires.

Jeep JK Conversion Adapters

BFV 05-03-2011 09:17 AM

First and foremost, welcome to the forum. Lots of good information can be shared by lots of great people. Second, you'll get this a lot, the search feature is invaluable on this site. Just about any question you have can be found by searching the forum.

Now, to address your question. The new Jk wheels are not very compatible with the TJ. You can use wheel spacers, but you will discover that there is very little positive opinion on wheel spacers. They are pretty much just not a good idea at all. Also, if your new tires are 3-4 inches bigger than the tires you have now, you're probably going to need at least a 3-4 inch lift as well, prices range from $500-$3000.

Your best bet would be to sell those Jk rims and tires, and with that money buy a set of aftermarket wheels with the correct backspacing. 3.75-4 inch backspacing seems to be a good upgrade to prevent any rubbing.

Welcome to the forum!

BFV

ospreyguy 05-03-2011 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BFV (Post 1216831)
First and foremost, welcome to the forum. Lots of good information can be shared by lots of great people. Second, you'll get this a lot, the search feature is invaluable on this site. Just about any question you have can be found by searching the forum.

Now, to address your question. The new Jk wheels are not very compatible with the TJ. You can use wheel spacers, but you will discover that there is very little positive opinion on wheel spacers. They are pretty much just not a good idea at all. Also, if your new tires are 3-4 inches bigger than the tires you have now, you're probably going to need at least a 3-4 inch lift as well, prices range from $500-$3000.

Your best bet would be to sell those Jk rims and tires, and with that money buy a set of aftermarket wheels with the correct backspacing. 3.75-4 inch backspacing seems to be a good upgrade to prevent any rubbing.

Welcome to the forum!

BFV

Ditto on this one. You will be much happier in anycase with the slightly smaller tire and the 4cyl...

MCAD135 05-03-2011 09:50 AM

Dont fit at all. Different bolt pattern. Tried it with some brand new extra 2011 wheels and tires i have

InfernoGirl 05-03-2011 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peepers (Post 1216818)
I believe we have a 5 x 4.5" hub and the Jks have a 5 x 5" hub. Also the stock tires on the 2011 are about 32" if I recall, and you will want a lift to run tires that big, or be prepaired to almost never take your jeep off-road. 31" is the maximum recomended for a non lifted TJ, and you will probably rub your fenders at flex with those tires.

Jeep JK Conversion Adapters

This ^^^^^^ 5x5 to 5x4.5 1.5" adapters will make JK moabs fit a TJ, as mentioned, the height will be somewhat problematic, but it depends on what you plan on doing with it... You really should plan on at least 2" lift for those 255's.

k8someday 05-03-2011 05:18 PM

Thank you for the responses. It does appear with the adapters the wheels will fit my jeep. It also appears I will need about a 3-4" lift kit. I also realize this will further throw off my speedometer.

Any suggestions on reasonably priced lift kits or kits that you would recomend? My idea of getting better looking wheels and brand new tires cheap is quickly dissapating.

Inferno Girl, I just saw you are from Newburgh too! You may have to show me some off roading places around here.

sandfox4 05-03-2011 08:43 PM

i bought a 2005 x model that had jk 255x70 x17 rims and tires on it ,it had a 1inch jks body lift, they cleared fine on the street, i have since changed wheels, if you need spacers/adapters i have a set of 4 i would sell for $125. , pm me if interested

MCAD135 05-03-2011 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k8someday
Thank you for the responses. It does appear with the adapters the wheels will fit my jeep. It also appears I will need about a 3-4" lift kit. I also realize this will further throw off my speedometer.

Any suggestions on reasonably priced lift kits or kits that you would recomend? My idea of getting better looking wheels and brand new tires cheap is quickly dissapating.

Inferno Girl, I just saw you are from Newburgh too! You may have to show me some off roading places around here.

I love my Rough Country lift. Researched for months and went with a good reasonably priced lift. Drives great. Look on craigslist. I bought 4 ion black wheels 15x8 for $200 and 4 33x12.5x15 tires for $100. Great easy cheap fix while i paid for the lift. Then when i could i bought new tires.