Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Throw out bearing or maybe slave cylinder? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/throw-out-bearing-or-maybe-slave-cylinder-92198.html)

ospreyguy 05-04-2011 06:39 AM

Throw out bearing or maybe slave cylinder?

So after my fun last night http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/sitt...oad-92122.html I started to hear a popping sound when shifting. It may be that I was just paying a little more attention but I am pretty sure it wasn't there before...

Anyway, when I engage the clutch I get a pop that feels and sounds like it is coming from the right side which made me think the slave. Then I did some general googling and found that a lot of times it's the throw out...

If I engage slowly it doesn't do it, and mostly going into 3rd is when it happens.

Any thoughts? :confused:

ospreyguy 05-04-2011 09:18 AM

Anything?

ospreyguy 05-04-2011 12:12 PM

:whistling:

dmiller369 05-04-2011 12:15 PM

slave cyl. is on the left. (driver side).

does it happen when you push down the clutch or when you switch gears. i noticed you said both.

ospreyguy 05-04-2011 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmiller369 (Post 1219158)
slave cyl. is on the left. (driver side).

does it happen when you push down the clutch or when you switch gears. i noticed you said both.

Thanks for the info on the slave, I just recalled what my CJ had and it was on the passenger side...

When I push the clutch in *pop* change gears then release the clutch *pop*.

I also on occasion have difficulty getting it into first when I'm stopped... the PO said the clutch was replaced "not long ago" with a Centerforce Clutch...

Could the synchronizers cause something like this?

dmiller369 05-04-2011 12:59 PM

i have only changed one clutch before and that was about a month ago. if i were to guess, i would guess its inside your bell housing. (throw out bearing,fork, pivot ball clip).

I cant tell you what it is, but others might be able to help later.

There is a test you can do.

test one- remove the slave cyl and have someone press down on the clutch while you are holding the slave and pushing in on the rod.

test 2- where the slave goes into the bell housing stick a large screw driver in the same hole and press on the fork.

by doing these test you should be able to eliminate whether it is hydraulic (slave, master) or mechanical ( pressure plate, fork, throwout)

ospreyguy 05-04-2011 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmiller369 (Post 1219231)
i have only changed one clutch before and that was about a month ago. if i were to guess, i would guess its inside your bell housing. (throw out bearing,fork, pivot ball clip).

I cant tell you what it is, but others might be able to help later.

There is a test you can do.

test one- remove the slave cyl and have someone press down on the clutch while you are holding the slave and pushing in on the rod.

test 2- where the slave goes into the bell housing stick a large screw driver in the same hole and press on the fork.

by doing these test you should be able to eliminate whether it is hydraulic (slave, master) or mechanical ( pressure plate, fork, throwout)

Good call, I'll give it a go.

dmiller369 05-04-2011 01:42 PM

please let me know if i helped you narrow it down.

troyx243 05-04-2011 03:39 PM

my new jeep

I was wondering where I could get a4 inch lift kit for my yj

dmiller369 05-04-2011 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troyx243 (Post 1219543)
I was wondering where I could get a4 inch lift kit for my yj

definitely a newb.

ospreyguy 05-05-2011 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmiller369 (Post 1220403)
definitely a newb.

This internets thing is confusin'!

ospreyguy 05-25-2011 07:55 AM

With video!

I made a video this morning of the popping sound. Not that clear but now I am almost starting to think it is maybe a transmission mount or some other type of mount. Take a look (listen) and tell me what you think...

Untitled on Vimeo