Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   General Jeep Discussion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/)
-   -   Stupid Blonde Question of the week.... (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/stupid-blonde-question-of-the-week-92213.html)

InfernoGirl 05-04-2011 08:47 AM

Stupid Blonde Question of the week....

Ok, thinking I may make this a weekly feature, since I always have stupid questions... :D
I always read about "PreRunners". What the heck is a PreRunner?

Thank you, told you it was a stupid question.... ;)

GrassKicker 05-04-2011 08:56 AM

Toyota made a "PreRunner" Tacoma truck. It is a 2wd with 4x4 suspension, looking like a 4wd.

JIMBOX 05-04-2011 08:57 AM

:whistling: Lotta answers IG-

A prerunner is not a Toyota 4x4-the def was around LONG before Toyota put out there SUV-

Basicly doesn't even have to be a vehicle-but to Pre-run is to examine a prescribed/planned/certified course to assure compliance with existing safety rules/regs-beit for running/racing/trials-

You're probably gonna get a lot of answers-this forum is like that-

Keepyerpowderdry

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

Update-By the way-this ain't no "Dumb" Blond !!

jeepers92 05-04-2011 09:02 AM

There are prerunner front bumpers for jeeps on quadratech website! :hide:

Mr. Sinister 05-04-2011 09:04 AM

What Jimbo said.
Also, a PreRunner can be any vehicle built to survey a rally stage, to allow the driver to "pre-run" before the race, to get to know the terrain and course layout. Typically, they are modified production pickup trucks, and not purpose built rigs for racing.

YouTube - PRE-RUNNER

Mischievous Cat 05-04-2011 09:09 AM

I don't think it's a dumb question. I've wondered that, too.

I always thought it referred to an off-road race truck painted with sponsor stickers that was caged-out with monster stingers front and rear with an angled spare tire in the bed, or something in that style.

Hmm. Something new every day.

530ktm 05-04-2011 10:20 AM

Jimbox has it nailed down. :thumb:

Geoff@Bestop 05-04-2011 10:35 AM

Just to add to this:

You pre-run the race course quickly, so you learn it. But you don't do it in your race vehicle.

So "pre-runners" need to be fast and tough.

And that makes the name appealing to marketing people for vehicles and equipment. Hence the "Toyota PreRunner" and all the others.

Desert racing is more about suspension travel and speed than it is about traction, so historically pre-runners were two wheel drive. This has changed, with vehicles like the Ford Raptor being designed like pre runners, but with 4wd.

pokey 05-04-2011 10:38 AM

What they said, usually a member of a racing team to let the real racer know the ins and outs of a long desert course.

Edit: Geoff just educated me, I guess the actual race driver pre runs the course. That makes more sense

InfernoGirl 05-04-2011 11:10 AM

Well all the talk about PreRunner bumpers is what made me wonder... and now I feel smarter :D (which is usually dangerous) :rofl:

Thank you all very much for the education. :thumb:

kjeeper10 05-04-2011 11:18 AM

Geez, we ask u anything bout tires or seat covers just not "prerunners" lol

jcf 05-04-2011 11:20 AM

Pre-Runner is a race truck (or Baja racer) they use in the desert, want to buy one? my son has one for sale & I can give you a heck of a deal,lol

Peepers 05-04-2011 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JIMBOX (Post 1218818)
:whistling: Lotta answers IG-

A prerunner is not a Toyota 4x4-the def was around LONG before Toyota put out there SUV-

Basicly doesn't even have to be a vehicle-but to Pre-run is to examine a prescribed/planned/certified course to assure compliance with existing safety rules/regs-beit for running/racing/trials-

You're probably gonna get a lot of answers-this forum is like that-

Keepyerpowderdry

Update-By the way-this ain't no "Dumb" Blond !!

You wouldn't have happened to have stayed at a holiday inn express last night did you?

:rofl:

JIMBOX 05-04-2011 11:42 AM

:whistling: NOPE !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peepers (Post 1219085)
You wouldn't have happened to have stayed at a holiday inn express last night did you?

:rofl:

I only stay at the ones where they keep the light on forme !

daggo66 05-04-2011 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InfernoGirl (Post 1219052)
Well all the talk about PreRunner bumpers is what made me wonder... and now I feel smarter :D (which is usually dangerous) :rofl:

Thank you all very much for the education. :thumb:

Which makes me wonder what was lost when that new information was added?:rofl::rofl::rofl:

InfernoGirl 05-04-2011 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66 (Post 1219105)
Which makes me wonder what was lost when that new information was added?:rofl::rofl::rofl:

:rofl: :bottom:

chucky cheese 05-04-2011 08:20 PM

A prerunner is a person before he gorges himself on taco bell.