Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   vacuum problems? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/vacuum-problems-926.html)

jaker 01-14-2006 12:01 PM

vacuum problems?

just purchased 87 wrangler. 4"lift/12.50x33's,4.0 inline 6,hardtop,ac,ps,pb black on black. when i pull shifter to 4hi or 4lo the shaft to the front axle turns but the front wheels do not turn. i have it off the ground. where do i start looking???thanks.

amerijeep 01-14-2006 05:39 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Try this and see if it helps a little . That's a loaded question. Check back if you need more info or maybe some else has more input.

daddyjeep 01-14-2006 07:41 PM

It is most likely the Central Axle Disconnect as Amerijeep directed you to. This is a very common problem with our Jeeps. You could get a Posi-lock cable actuator to make this problem gone forever. Even when you get it corrected with the stock system, it will mess with you now and again.

mullys88 01-18-2006 05:19 PM

Posi-lock cable actuator

Quote:

Originally Posted by daddyjeep
It is most likely the Central Axle Disconnect as Amerijeep directed you to. This is a very common problem with our Jeeps. You could get a Posi-lock cable actuator to make this problem gone forever. Even when you get it corrected with the stock system, it will mess with you now and again.

One day I ran up over a big snow bank and it pulled all my vacume lines off. Where do I find more info on this cable actuator? Do they sell all the little boots that the vacume lines plug into?

mullys88 01-18-2006 05:23 PM

Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by amerijeep
Try this and see if it helps a little . That's a loaded question. Check back if you need more info or maybe some else has more input.

These pictures are great! often I get the impression that what might be basic to one jeep owner is a new lesson for another.

amerijeep 01-18-2006 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mullys88
These pictures are great! often I get the impression that what might be basic to one jeep owner is a new lesson for another.

I've neen fortunate. I have never had a mechanical of electrical issue with my Jeep of any sort. I have to do lots of body work, because it had rolled. Everything if perfectly straight now, though. I don't think a trained eye could tell that it had gone over. I wish I had before pics.

daddyjeep 01-19-2006 08:30 PM

Quote:

I've neen fortunate. I have never had a mechanical of electrical issue with my Jeep of any sort. I have to do lots of body work, because it had rolled. Everything if perfectly straight now, though. I don't think a trained eye could tell that it had gone over. I wish I had before pics.

Careful AmeriJeep...you know what happens when you say stuff like that. things break.

amerijeep 01-19-2006 09:35 PM

Quote:

Careful AmeriJeep...you know what happens when you say stuff like that. things break.

True. Though I haven't driven it in over a week now. I think I;ll go sit in it for awhile.:rolleyes:

Be back later. :D

jeeper89 01-19-2006 11:43 PM

i have an 89 wrangler and shortly after i got it the vacuum lines cracked and one broke. i used some air line from napa and stuffed both ends of the broke lines into it. it worked for about 6-7 months. then i took it hunting and the 4 wheel drive would not work. this made me mad, but then i got to drive my uncles rubicon so it was alright. i ordered the Posi-lok and installed it and all the problems of it not working stoped. now just a short 1 inch pull and it works. i am happy with it.

smurf 01-20-2006 12:40 PM

i had something on the same lines happen to me with my 85 wrangler after changing ujoints and vacum acuator i almost put the manual disconnect on for $200 but i decided to change a $15 shift fork and it works fine now if your getting vacum to the front try that might save you some money

daddyjeep 01-20-2006 07:48 PM

Quote:

True. Though I haven't driven it in over a week now. I think I;ll go sit in it for awhile.:rolleyes:

Be back later. :D

How was it? feel better. Mine has been sitting a while now too. I have been pretty busy at work. I just told my son to go to sleep so we can go wheelin tomorrow. Now that it has been unuasually warm here, there should be some slimy stuff to play in.

amerijeep 01-20-2006 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smurf
i had something on the same lines happen to me with my 85 wrangler after changing ujoints and vacum acuator i almost put the manual disconnect on for $200 but i decided to change a $15 shift fork and it works fine now if your getting vacum to the front try that might save you some money

Please post pics of your 85 Wrangler

amerijeep 01-20-2006 09:29 PM

Quote:

How was it? feel better. Mine has been sitting a while now too. I have been pretty busy at work. I just told my son to go to sleep so we can go wheelin tomorrow. Now that it has been unuasually warm here, there should be some slimy stuff to play in.

Yep. Good time. I didn't touch myself though. ;) I think I'll get mine out later next week. Work keeps me going most the time lately.

daddyjeep 01-22-2006 05:26 PM

OK...You didn't need to take it quite that far

amerijeep 01-22-2006 06:55 PM

Quote:

OK...You didn't need to take it quite that far

Just seeing if anyone was paying attention.